Anyone own a 300 ultra mag??

chevy_dmax

Apr 30, 2008
Gladstone, MO
I have browning a-bolt in .300 win mag with the boss brake on it. I think it kicks way less than 12ga target load.

On side note, yes, I’ve shot it once without ear plugs, and I’ll never shoot it again without ear protection. It's freaking loud, the concussion can be felt a goot 10 feet away in your chest when you watch someone shoot it and when shooting prone, will kick up a dust plume ( i wish it wasnt drilled/vented on the bottom of the brake) and blow stuff of the bench.

Not for nothing brakes work. All my hunting buddies know when I shoot.

SAUM is helluva round, it has some ballistic advantages (100 to 300 fps) to the .300 win mag, but dang, .300 winny is waaaaaaay overkill for most stuff.

Bill.

03-GMC

Let there be light!!
Mar 26, 2009
SLC, Utah
I have a 7mm with synthetic stock and the thing kicks like a mo chucker. I need to get a limb saver and some of those ear plugs mentioned on the first page

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
How would a supressor reduce recoil? All they do is muffle the sound made by the round exiting the barrel. The only real way to reduce recoil is 1) don't shoot it, 2) a hydraulic buffer, or 3) lighter loads in your ammo. Lighter powder loads make for less pressure to reset the operating group of a semi-auto rifle (gas impingement system), and a hydraulic buffer doesn't actually lessen the recoil, just the amount you feel in your shoulder. :thumb:
If you are going to use a supressor, I have to make a shameless plug for Surefire supressors. They are the only supressor to actually increase accuracy, and keep a predictable, repeatable, zero after its removal. I can personally attest to their durability, and noise reduction.

Last edited:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
A suppressor. It reduces noise and recoil. They run anywhere from 500 to 2000.

www.awcsystech.com

That looks bad a$$ But for 2k Im getting something for the D-max:D Honestly as often as I will probably shoot the 300 I should just suck it up:baby::baby: I actually tried to find a Sims (Limb Saver) locally today with no luck. Im thinking that will be enough to keep me happy and cheap to boot:)

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
How would a supressor reduce recoil? All they do is muffle the sound made by the round exiting the barrel. The only real way to reduce recoil is 1) don't shoot it, 2) a hydraulic buffer, or 3) lighter loads in your ammo. Lighter powder loads make for less pressure to reset the operating group of a semi-auto rifle (gas impingement system), and a hydraulic buffer doesn't actually lessen the recoil, just the amount you feel in your shoulder. :thumb:
If you are going to use a supressor, I have to make a shameless plug for Surefire supressors. They are the only supressor to actually increase accuracy, and keep a predictable, repeatable, zero after its removal. I can personally attest to their durability, and noise reduction.

Suppressors reduce recoil. Every suppressed gun I have shot has a reduced recoil. It works the same way a muzzle brake does, except the gases are deverted to an expansion chamber instead of the atmosphere.

Last edited:

tractor

Mar 19, 2009
Spring Creek,NV
I put a mercury switch in my stock and a thick butt pad on mine and my 12 year old can shoot it now.didnt want the noise so I went that route and love it now.
Darryl

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
Suppressors reduce recoil. Every suppressed gun I have shot has a reduced recoil. It works the same way a muzzle brake does, except the gases are deverted to an expansion chamber instead of the atmosphere.

They do not reduce recoil. Neither do muzzle brakes. In an AR there is a gas block underneath the front sight that allows a small amount of gas trapped behind each round that passes under it into a gas tube (the little silver tube on top of the barrel). That gas is then directed into the gas tube reciever on top of the operating group, commonly called the bolt. Recoil is what you feel when that gas throws the operating group back into the buttstock/buffer assembly, causing the weapon to cycle. All of this happens before the round itself ever leaves the muzzle. If the round came out of the muzzle before all that happened, there wouldn't be enough pressure to cycle the operating group. That means that no matter what you stick on the end of the barrel, recoil will not be reduced in any shape or form.
A supressor works on the same principle as a car muffler. Just a lot better. It takes the sound waves generated by the supersonic round passing through it, and reflecting them back on each other. Cancelling themselves out in a series of baffles. Or the sound waves can be absorbed by a glasspack-like material and what equates to steel wool packed around a ported tube. Firing with a supressor may have felt like it had less recoil, but perhaps that was due to the lack of a shock wave following each round.
Muzzle brakes use the remaining gas behind each round to push the barrel back down and counteract muzzle climb. Not recoil.

moore428

Dec 9, 2008
SE Iowa
Recoil by definition is the force acting in the opposite direction of the traveling bullet. A large portion of recoil is generated by excess gas pressure venting out the barrel after the bullet has exited. A brake can reduce recoil up 50% by redirecting this gas 90* off the centerline of the bore. Some brakes will actually pull the rifle forward. On a hunting rifle the brake is generally used for sighting in, you then take it off to hunt since you rarely notice the recoil during the hunt.

As far as suppressors go, they work by spreading out the time period in which the gas exits the rifle, not by absorption.

Any gas removed or delayed from exiting the end of the barrel WILL reduce felt recoil.

Basic physics, redirecting force vectors 90* off boreline will reduce the force vector of the boreline. Conservation of energy and all.

As for gas actions:

The bullet HAS left the barrel before the action cycles. That is why the system was built that way, to bring chamber pressures down before openning the breech so you will have a face after the bolt opens. It takes a little while for 50,000 psi to bleed off, even with the bullet exited out the barrel. That is why the timing on the gas port and system is very important.

Your logic is faulty. Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I agree with you, they reduce felt recoil. Not the actual recoil of the weapon. As for the rest of that...

Now it's name calling? Very third grade. Show me your proof. I teach these things every day for a living. If I'm wrong I'd love to know how so I can tell the Marine Corps they've been wrong all this time.
When you get your proof, please try not to cite wikipedia, or the advertised claims of John-Boy's Gun Shop. Try a source like the US Army or Marine Corps. They've been testing and firing AR's since the 60's.

mmangels22

Monty Python Rules.
Feb 12, 2009
San Jose, CA
Recoil by definition is the force acting in the opposite direction of the traveling bullet. A large portion of recoil is generated by excess gas pressure venting out the barrel after the bullet has exited. A brake can reduce recoil up 50% by redirecting this gas 90* off the centerline of the bore. Some brakes will actually pull the rifle forward. On a hunting rifle the brake is generally used for sighting in, you then take it off to hunt since you rarely notice the recoil during the hunt.

As far as suppressors go, they work by spreading out the time period in which the gas exits the rifle, not by absorption.

Any gas removed or delayed from exiting the end of the barrel WILL reduce felt recoil.

Basic physics, redirecting force vectors 90* off boreline will reduce the force vector of the boreline. Conservation of energy and all.

As for gas actions:

The bullet HAS left the barrel before the action cycles. That is why the system was built that way, to bring chamber pressures down before openning the breech so you will have a face after the bolt opens. It takes a little while for 50,000 psi to bleed off, even with the bullet exited out the barrel. That is why the timing on the gas port and system is very important.

Your logic is faulty. Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Don't understand why you responded like that. Relax.

moore428

Dec 9, 2008
SE Iowa
I agree with you, they reduce felt recoil. Not the actual recoil of the weapon. As for the rest of that...

Now it's name calling? Very third grade. Show me your proof. I teach these things every day for a living. If I'm wrong I'd love to know how so I can tell the Marine Corps they've been wrong all this time.
When you get your proof, please try not to cite wikipedia, or the advertised claims of John-Boy's Gun Shop. Try a source like the US Army or Marine Corps. They've been testing and firing AR's since the 60's.

Let's see, I've probably played with more guns than you have seen. I've bought, sold, shot, fixed, built and read about more guns than you could dream of. How about you pony up some proof, like say a Army or Marine manual. Everyone knows that the military never passes on faulty intell. If you are teaching this, then you need to stop immediately. If the Corps failed to train you properly, then nobody can. Certainly not me. You are a waste of my time. Please read a book on the subject before you get someone killed!!

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Because ignorance is damn dangerous!!!

Wow man, you really need to relax a little. I appreciate the information, buts its just a friendly conversation, no need to call people names or get all wound up over a differance of opinion, Right or wrong its just an opinion.....

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I agree. Ignorance is dangerous. It's also cureable.

USMC/ARMY FM 3-22.9

Pay attention to figure 4-6. The one labeled "firing". That section of the manual should solve your confusion on the cycle of operations for the M16x (AR-x).

That picture and description illustrate exactly why any compensator, or supressor will never reduce any actual recoil. Specifically the part about the weapon cycling before the round exits the muzzle. The Army and Marine Corps have to date spent literally millions to make these things work correctly. So I appreciate everything you've read and all, but I'm going to go with what's in the manual that trains hundreds of thousands of US and foreign military service members every day since the weapn's implementation.
If you're still determined to prove me wrong, feel free to put a digital pressure scale behind the buttstock of any AR/M16 and record on video what the scale reads with and without a compensator using the same ammunition.
Other than that I wish you the best of luck with all of those weapons I've never read about or shot or whatever.

This is a link to a copy of that manual.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-22-9/c04.htm#4_2

moore428

Dec 9, 2008
SE Iowa
I agree. Ignorance is dangerous. It's also cureable.

USMC/ARMY FM 3-22.9

Pay attention to figure 4-6. The one labeled "firing". That section of the manual should solve your confusion on the cycle of operations for the M16x (AR-x).

That picture and description illustrate exactly why any compensator, or supressor will never reduce any actual recoil. Specifically the part about the weapon cycling before the round exits the muzzle. The Army and Marine Corps have to date spent literally millions to make these things work correctly. So I appreciate everything you've read and all, but I'm going to go with what's in the manual that trains hundreds of thousands of US and foreign military service members every day since the weapn's implementation.
If you're still determined to prove me wrong, feel free to put a digital pressure scale behind the buttstock of any AR/M16 and record on video what the scale reads with and without a compensator using the same ammunition.
Other than that I wish you the best of luck with all of those weapons I've never read about or shot or whatever.

This is a link to a copy of that manual.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-22-9/c04.htm#4_2

Grab a Weatherby 338-378 Mag take brake off apply to nuts pull trigger, then try it with the brake on and you will have your proof. If you have ever shot a gun and had a brain in your head you would know this. It's not rocket science. You've been fed BS.