Anyone can't justify selling their older diesel for a newer truck ?

70ssclone

josh
Oct 31, 2013
Harco,MD
Just goofing around and looking for trucks for friends who don't have diesel trucks that are interested im noticing that more then not the prices are insane ! In my area ( Baltimore ) used lb7 / lly trucks with 275k are on dealer lots for 14-18k and if it's a dodge it's even more insane then if you look at the 30k range it gets you a chevy from 10-12 with over 100k on the clock . New trucks are in the 53k and up region . My ccsb 05 has just under 170k miles and is still in decent shape . I'm thinking instead of a new truck payment I could rebuild the front end , fix the rockers/cab corners and buy a built Trans and still be ahead of the game . How many of you guys feel the same way about dumping money into an old truck vs a new one ?

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Can't afford a new one and can't afford a used one, think I'll just stick with what I got :D
I agree the prices on used trucks are retarded. Check out the Craigslist for charlotte, nc. The market is saturated with over priced high mileage trucks and morons willing to pay it.

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Just fix yours and drive it till the wheels fall off (fix it and drive it after that if you have spacers lol)

Cognito ucas kryptonite steering fox 2.0 shocks and a good set of caltracs and your suspension side should be good

And you can get the rockers on brothers truck parts if i remember correctly (i live in oklahoma so i dont have that issue ) salt sucks

Big dipper trans or mike L if you can afford to ship it out

Imo if you spend 10 grand and its nice after that and it runs good why do you need new :shrugs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I went from a 2014 1500, to a '15 LML, to the '08 LMM I have. Like the Tacoma, the duramax and most diesel 4x4's hold their value exceptionally well.

I new if I bought my truck wholesale and got the right year, that I would be in the happy place for the next 50k miles where the value would stay about the same. Modding my 1500 beyond the few things I did was not an option due to the fact it depreciated rapidly. In 1 year 6 months my $49k truck was worth $29k. Decided making payments for something that depreciated just as fast as the payments were made was illogical.

The diesel trucks have a floor in the market. New ones are in the $55k range, and any decent used that is retail loanable will be $20k+ depending on year. My trucks wholesale value is up $2k since I bought it, and more marketable to our crowd should I ever decide to sell (which I wont). The Duramax is one of the few vehicles we can modify without feeling as though the money was wasted. it's always fun to do, but doesn't always make sense for the wallet.

70ssclone

josh
Oct 31, 2013
Harco,MD
I went from a 2014 1500, to a '15 LML, to the '08 LMM I have. Like the Tacoma, the duramax and most diesel 4x4's hold their value exceptionally well.

I new if I bought my truck wholesale and got the right year, that I would be in the happy place for the next 50k miles where the value would stay about the same. Modding my 1500 beyond the few things I did was not an option due to the fact it depreciated rapidly. In 1 year 6 months my $49k truck was worth $29k. Decided making payments for something that depreciated just as fast as the payments were made was illogical.

The diesel trucks have a floor in the market. New ones are in the $55k range, and any decent used that is retail loanable will be $20k+ depending on year. My trucks wholesale value is up $2k since I bought it, and more marketable to our crowd should I ever decide to sell (which I wont). The Duramax is one of the few vehicles we can modify without feeling as though the money was wasted. it's always fun to do, but doesn't always make sense for the wallet.

So true .. The sick part is here at the ford dealer I work at some 1/2 tons are only a few thousand cheaper then a diesel crewcab but in 8 years the diesel will be worth about 30 the half ton will be worth much less . Just like jeep wrangles the value they maintain is incredible

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I always check out newer trucks but then I realize it would be close to another mortgage payment :rofl:

Mine is 5k away from 200k mile mark and so far, never let me down so, prob will just do as I always do and dump money into an old vehicle #logic

70ssclone

josh
Oct 31, 2013
Harco,MD
I always check out newer trucks but then I realize it would be close to another mortgage payment :rofl:

Mine is 5k away from 200k mile mark and so far, never let me down so, prob will just do as I always do and dump money into an old vehicle #logic

no doubt man... that's kinda why I bought a beater car to commute. the truck is nice but as soon as it snows and they lay salt I cringe.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Just goofing around and looking for trucks for friends who don't have diesel trucks that are interested im noticing that more then not the prices are insane ! In my area ( Baltimore ) used lb7 / lly trucks with 275k are on dealer lots for 14-18k and if it's a dodge it's even more insane then if you look at the 30k range it gets you a chevy from 10-12 with over 100k on the clock . New trucks are in the 53k and up region . My ccsb 05 has just under 170k miles and is still in decent shape . I'm thinking instead of a new truck payment I could rebuild the front end , fix the rockers/cab corners and buy a built Trans and still be ahead of the game . How many of you guys feel the same way about dumping money into an old truck vs a new one ?

I used to live North of Baltimore and got my truck in that area. WAYYY overpaid. Out here in Colorado they are so much cheaper.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Just fix yours and drive it till the wheels fall off (fix it and drive it after that if you have spacers lol)

Cognito ucas kryptonite steering fox 2.0 shocks and a good set of caltracs and your suspension side should be good

And you can get the rockers on brothers truck parts if i remember correctly (i live in oklahoma so i dont have that issue ) salt sucks

Big dipper trans or mike L if you can afford to ship it out

Imo if you spend 10 grand and its nice after that and it runs good why do you need new :shrugs:

If you could ever get ahold of George. Just drive it up to Evan.

70ssclone

josh
Oct 31, 2013
Harco,MD
If you could ever get ahold of George. Just drive it up to Evan.

Is he that hard to get ahold of ? What's funny is he is one of the best Trans builders in the world for an ally and his shop ( not really his ) is less then a mile from my work

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
I got $25k for my 07 LBZ 135k mi, so figured I better get out of it before the price falls off. Have a 17 High Country on order at $65k, so I'm back in payments at $40k when it shows up, unless I put more down. Been waiting for the L5P to come out, so I can see what it will do, and get things figured out motor wise with all the new parts.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
My LLY has about 112K miles, about 1/3 of that towing a heavy 5th wheel. I paid $25K cash for it almost 6 years ago and it has done everything I have asked it to do, including many trips in the Colorado Rockies mountain passes. I don't have to worry about DEF, DPF, TPMs or breaking my warranty by deleting that stuff. With an upgraded trans, EFI Live tow settings and a truck I can still work on, this will probably be my "forever" truck. I'll probably have to do head gaskets, water pump and injectors some day, but I'll still be way ahead of the game.

70ssclone

josh
Oct 31, 2013
Harco,MD
I got $25k for my 07 LBZ 135k mi, so figured I better get out of it before the price falls off. Have a 17 High Country on order at $65k, so I'm back in payments at $40k when it shows up, unless I put more down. Been waiting for the L5P to come out, so I can see what it will do, and get things figured out motor wise with all the new parts.

Can't beat that ! My friend recently bought a 07 obs ccsb steel blue truck , friggin mint condition with 120k on the odo.he payed 26 thousand for it. What's funny is in 2010 I bought my 05 from a dealer for 24k with only 66k on the odo .

70ssclone

josh
Oct 31, 2013
Harco,MD
Guess youv never tried calling him then.

Actually back in 2013 I texed him and he called me about 3 weeks later, cool guy to and explained what he would do to my truck and from what I can remember it was like 4600 out the door which was reasonable I just couldn't spend that kinda money at the time but things are different now so I will reach out to him again soon

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Can't beat that ! My friend recently bought a 07 obs ccsb steel blue truck , friggin mint condition with 120k on the odo.he payed 26 thousand for it. What's funny is in 2010 I bought my 05 from a dealer for 24k with only 66k on the odo .

Yeah I only paid $44k new out the door for the 07, so only 50% depreciation ten years later I jumped on selling it.

Last edited: