Another Battery relo question

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
winters here or moving in very quickly, and now i'm hard starting again. I have a bad power cable running from my 2nd battery, which is already moved to the bed, but instead of just replacing it I want to know where are you guys splicing your new power cables back into the system at?

I've seen people talk about running it right back to the alternator, I currently have it running directly to the starter, but I am looking for what the most effective way to get the current back to the starter on cold mornings?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Going directly to the starter is the best way to get it there. You could also go to the power junction block on the firewall on the LMMs. What gauge wire did you use, and how did you run your ground?

Kappa9012

Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
i used 1/0 gauge, and the ground is currently running to the frame. I have more 1/0 on order to upgrade the grounds from the engine to the frame. It could be just the cable is bad which i'm pretty positive it is, but I just want opinions before I cut it the new cable to length.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I just used a set of BMW cables (because the batts are in the trunk the the cables are long) and I bolted the ends to the existing cables,I extended both cables. Red and black.

Attachments

• 20120904_214042.jpg
    20120904_214042.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20120904_214055.jpg
    20120904_214055.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 73

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Do you still have one battery under the hood hooked up like it came from the factory? What did you do with the original ground cable from the second battery?

Kappa9012

Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
Im going from memory but the passenger side battery ground i think is still tied up in the harness near the frame rail. Should I have grounded that to the frame?

Blk Smoke, how'd you tie the cables together??? I did this originally with the factory cable for the pass side battery and that's what got me in trouble in the first place. I used a butt style connector for 1/0 awg, and tried to seal it, and no luck, water got inside the cable and corroded the copper, hence the reason why I ordered a new run of 1/0. I ohmed the cable and its got a pretty decent resistance to it.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
+1 ^^^ I would like to know more about how the cables were connected and sealed. Do you have problems with condensation, water and corrosion? With the cables bolted together how is the resistance?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I ran my lead into the the passenger side fuse block and have had no issues. I did run the ground back to the block where the factory one was and grounded it to the frame. Not sure what size wire it is since it came from a buss but it is pretty heavy

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
The cable was almost perfect length I just bolted it together with a stainless 3/8ths bolt wraped it up in electrical tape and used a big piece of heat shrink tube and then used 2 hole insulated straps to screw it to the inside of the outter frame side after it was run thru the frame.Truck starts great in the coldest weather.You cant ground to the frame it has to go back to the block.

Kappa9012

Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
ground from the engine to the frame may not be big enough i suppose, but I see a lot of guys grounding right to the frame. So I don't see why it would be necessary to run all the way back to the block.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
If second batt is grounded to frame I would run a large ground frame-block.

How is the block grounded to frame? May be a slow day but from what I recall block is grounded to cab.

the freeze

Feb 23, 2010
Also beware of eBay and amazon car stereo type wires. Lots of them the actual wire o.d. Is half of advertised but the insulation is thicker. But even 2 -4 gauge should be plenty so this post is pointless. Happy Friday.

Kappa9012

Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
Also beware of eBay and amazon car stereo type wires. Lots of them the actual wire o.d. Is half of advertised but the insulation is thicker. But even 2 -4 gauge should be plenty so this post is pointless. Happy Friday.

And your post was super helfpul....