Android phone users

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
I recently upgrade to the Bionic. My last phone was only a couple generations newer than the old brick, so this is a big step up for me.

I'm trying familiarize myself with it, but the manual for it SUCKS!

I'm interested in ROOTing it to gain full control too. Any of you that have done so, which way did you go?

What are some "must have" apps?

Any useful DROID forums?

THX

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
My Droid X is Rooted with Darkslide 4.2. Its nice to be able to speed up and slow down your processor to save battery life. Mydroidworld.com is a great site to learn about your phone and learn about rooting.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Rooting a phone is badass.....

HOWEVER

if you root it, you will lose your warranty.

And that is a new phone, so my advise is give it a bit lol....

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
Not terribly worried about the warranty. I've got insurance on it.

If it quits working right, it might accidentally go for a swim...:angel:

WrekNBall

Bored
May 29, 2009
Wandering from room to room..
Open Garden Wifi tether or Barnacle Wifi if you have a laptop and need internet access away from home. Avoids your carrier charging you for WiFi tethering.

ROM Manager - allows you to back up your phone and install custom ROMs.

Root Explorer - file browser that allows you to see the entire filesystem on the phone without restriction.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
lol yeah....ins is a great thing...a truck tire works great

Wifi is badass....I have used roms on the majority of mine....But getting rid of the fluff that verizon throws on the phones, really improves performance.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
lol yeah....ins is a great thing...a truck tire works great

Wifi is badass....I have used roms on the majority of mine....But getting rid of the fluff that verizon throws on the phones, really improves performance.

What are ROMS? How do you know what you can delete without it messing up the phone?

WrekNBall

Bored
May 29, 2009
Wandering from room to room..
What are ROMS? How do you know what you can delete without it messing up the phone?

ROMs do the following - open features the carrier has locked out, new software gizmos, add performance enhancements, install newer Android operating systems the carrier hasn't officially released specific to your model of phone, etc.

Don't delete files at random. Google up a few Bionic or Android forums. These are a great guide to your phone. Just like anything, do some research before you make changes.

I don't think it is possible to truly "brick" a Droid phone by making software changes, but it can be a PITA to get it back.