Android phone users

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I love my thunderbolt. Battery life is horrible stock but rooted it is as good as any.

I'm running bamf forever 1.0.6 sense 3.0 ROM with an imoseyon kernel undervolted/overclocked at 1.4ghz and an experimental radio

I've been through a couple different android phones. They keep getting better and better, really have made stride over the last couple of months. It was definitely tough in the beginning. OS was rough and a foreign language for me but I'm loving it now. IPhone still has a better user interface but so much more potential in the Android!

sent via tapatalk by your forum daddy!!!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm running bamf forever 1.0.6 sense 3.0 ROM with an imoseyon kernel undervolted/overclocked at 1.4ghz and an experimental radio
You do realize we speak English in this country, right? I know it gets confusing with all the Spanish speaking folks down there around you.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
You do realize we speak English in this country, right? I know it gets confusing with all the Spanish speaking folks down there around you.

Ha, that's exactly how I feel when you rattle off about tuning and such!

TDFDiesel

I'm That Guy
Jan 6, 2011
Mesa, AZ
There is some value for rooting, but unless you are tethering I haven't had a reason quite yet.

Here are the apps I like, had quite a few Android phones and currently have a Thunderbolt.

Mileage - tracks mileage
Dolphin HD - web browser that allows me to close
AutoGuide/TapaTalk - Forums
Bank Apps - Wells Fargo, BofA, etc..

Engadget - Cell News
Fox News - Local news Apps
GMC Duramax - SES codes
Facebook - Sort of sucks, but can view profiles.
Facebook Messenger - Facebook App that supports Facebook chat, much better then standard Facebook App chat
Live Holdem Pro - Great poker App
Netflix - Live streaming Netflix
Prank Dial - Prank phone calls
PhotoBucket - Uploads photos
Speed Test - Internet Speed Test

ChevyTruckGuy78

Twins done Now for trans
Feb 7, 2010
Ct.
dont go swimming with it use the truck tire they can tell if u get em wet and most dont cover wet phones but some do so be careful with that

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I ended up rooting my Charge the other night....seems much better without the bloat crap verizon throughs on them.

Running Altered Beast V5 on it.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
The debloated roms really help!

An undervolted kernel can help with battery life. you just have to see if your phone will handle it. Some do, some don't

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
What is a kernel? I have an HTC aria through AT&T and I rooted it when I had the original OS. Now it has the Froyo? OS and it looks and works like stock again. Battery life did get a little better, doesn't freeze hardly at all anymore. I need to get a new phone since this screen is cracked again but not sure what I should do. Opinions?

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Can someone break rooting down for me? I kind of get it but not entirely

Rooting alone really doesn't provide any better performance.

Think of it being able to use Windows as a User or an Administrator.

When you root it, you gain the abilitly to modify the settings of the phone, which Verizon/AT&T says you shouldn't be able to do.

Like running a different OS or overclock it.

It basically opens up the phone to do whatever you want.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Rooting alone really doesn't provide any better performance.

Think of it being able to use Windows as a User or an Administrator.

When you root it, you gain the abilitly to modify the settings of the phone, which Verizon/AT&T says you shouldn't be able to do.

Like running a different OS or overclock it.

It basically opens up the phone to do whatever you want.

Exactly. And their are developers out there who have altered the ROM builds for efficiency. You just pick the one you like and run with it. Some are gingerbread, some froyo, sense 2.1/3.0/3.5, etc. Tons of options

The kernel is the lifeline of the phone. it controls processor speed, I/O scheduling, etc that weighs heavy on battery life and smooths the transitions within the ROM.

Lots you can learn if you like to tinker with stuff. Xda-forums is the place to start

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Well finally decided to root...super happy so far with my fairly stock EVO 4G. I just rooted with Unrevoked and am running the Fresh 4.3.3 ROM...deciding on kernels and really want a NASCAR theme lol...apparently a lot of phone techie guys aren't as much of motorsports lovers as some of us. I just wish I could figure out this Gingerbread, ICS, Sense stuff....