Allison to Bring 9-Speed Automatic Transmission to Market by 2020

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
Posting this at Mike's request:

attachment.php

ATLANTA – Allison Transmission plans to release the first 9-speed fully automatic transmission in 2020, offering fuel savings and available to help meet the next round of greenhouse gas emissions standards.

At the North American Commercial Vehicle Show, company officials said the fully automatic transmission for medium- and heavy-duty vehicles will be available globally and is targeted for release in 2020.

The new 9-speed transmission has a deep first gear ratio, includes an integral engine stop-start system, and is scheduled to be released in time for the EPA's GHG Phase 2 emissions standards.

“This 9-speed product launch represents the first in a number of new products which will demonstrate Allison's ongoing commitment to addressing the global challenge of improved fuel efficiency and reduced greenhouse gases,” said Randy Kirk, senior vice president -product engineering and product teams. The new 9-speed will reach up to 7% greater fuel efficiency than the base 6-speed model, he added.

“Customers can also expect up to 10% greater [fuel economy] or more when compared to a competing transmission.”

The new transmission marks the first of its kind for the medium-duty market and is ideal for Classes 3-7, especially distribution trucks, rental and lease trucks, and buses, Kirk said. With the new transmission, drivers can also look forward to better comfort due to smaller steps, a smoother start, and improved acceleration, Allison says.

“Many OEMs in North America, Europe and Asia have expressed interest and excitement, with prototype evaluations beginning for them yet this year," Kirk said. “This is the first in a number of new products we’ll develop to meet the global challenge of increased fuel efficiency and reduced greenhouse gas emissions."

Original information: http://www.truckinginfo.com/news/st...automatic-transmission-to-market-by-2020.aspx

Attachments

• m-allison-transmission-nine-speed-model-image-2-with-filter.jpeg
    m-allison-transmission-nine-speed-model-image-2-with-filter.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 344

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
This will be great for the guys that need medium duty trucks, but I hope they stick with the 6-speed for the light duty trucks.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I would hate engine start-stop systems a lot less if the body designers ran the HVAC off electricity instead of the engine. It's 110°F outside and you pull up to a red light, no AC for you!

I'm curious what the gear ratios are going to be on the 9 speed.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I would hate engine start-stop systems a lot less if the body designers ran the HVAC off electricity instead of the engine. It's 110°F outside and you pull up to a red light, no AC for you!

I'm curious what the gear ratios are going to be on the 9 speed.
I hated the start/stop in every vehicle I've driven that had it. It sucks. The power is not reliably there when you need and want it. And I wouldn't be surprised if the wear on those engines is far greater than engines without it. I wouldn't buy a vehicle with that 'feature' if I couldn't kill it somehow.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Sounds interesting. What's the semi hybrid deal Mike?

I'm sure like most cars stop start will be able to be toggled off. I hate stop start. 9 speeds would be wicked if done right.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There will probably be an electric motor in front of the converter to spin it upon throttle from a stop to crank up trans pressure instantly. The motor will probably add HP to the engine. First gear will be a granny low. There will be a new learning curve to this trans and electronics. Going to be fun.:D

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Semi Hybrid doesn't sound very appealing to me , sounds like half diesel half Electric to me, we already have enough problems with SCR systems and dpf , they claim they are making things better for the environment and yada yada blaw blaw , really they are making solutions for the problems they have created;

Whatever happened to letting a engine be an engine.

Love the 9 speed transmission idea mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
I hated the start/stop in every vehicle I've driven that had it. It sucks. The power is not reliably there when you need and want it. And I'd be surprised if the wear on those engines is far greater than engines without it. I wouldn't buy a vehicle with that 'feature' if I couldn't kill it somehow.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Could not agree more. Plus, how much fuel is it really saving?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I thought I read somewhere that in city driving it increases mpg by 1 or 2 for cars and other lighter vehicles. Wont do a thing for highway

Wonder how the heat in the turbo will be delt with on this system. Pulling a heavy trailer on the highway and pull out onto the off ramp only to be greeted by a red light. Stop at the light and the engine shuts down and the oil cooks in the turbo.

With the torque curve of the diesel, what use is 9 gears? Sounds like it will be shifting an awful lot. Maybe all of the defueling that occurs during the shift is how they improve the mpgs and emissions :roflmao:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I thought I read somewhere that in city driving it increases mpg by 1 or 2 for cars and other lighter vehicles. Wont do a thing for highway

Wonder how the heat in the turbo will be delt with on this system. Pulling a heavy trailer on the highway and pull out onto the off ramp only to be greeted by a red light. Stop at the light and the engine shuts down and the oil cooks in the turbo.

With the torque curve of the diesel, what use is 9 gears? Sounds like it will be shifting an awful lot. Maybe all of the defueling that occurs during the shift is how they improve the mpgs and emissions
If it is like the 10 speed Ford uses in the F150, it will skip a lot of gears depending on the loading and throttle input. So it might not shift as much as you fear.

If they get the shift times down, having it change gears to keep the engine at the lowest possible RPM on hills should improve mileage when towing and not cause issues. If it has the classic Allison 0.4-0.5 second shifts, then it will feel like it is always shifting. I'm hoping they got the shift times down to 0.2-0.3 seconds, and have the ability to skip-shift. That will be a fun setup, if so.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I had an 8 speed in my touareg tdi. It's a different animal but I honestly loved it.yhe torque was always there when I wanted it and the mpg climbed like 6mpg over the previous 6 speed.

That semi hybrid thing sounds fascinating. Can't wait to see some of you tear em open.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
If it works out like big trucks the more gears the better. 18 speeds are the cats ass. You always have the right gear to keep you in the power band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
I’m curious when they will start monitoring battery cell life
I foresee in years when the batteries start decaying you end up stuck at a redlight lol

Jun 1, 2012
I like my zf 8hp70 in my wife's ecodiesel... works really well and shifts really quick....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
Cool! Always exciting to have new tech in what can sometimes seem like a stagnant environment. I am very curious to see how they package this. :D