Allison lockup/unlock controller!!!! (NOW SHIPPING!)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
ok guys heres another really cool widget from BT DieselWorks.

Its pretty simple really, when you press the "LOCK" button, it actually does lock the converter, right away. When you press the "UNLOCK" button, it unlocks the converter. :)

This is basically a continuation/next generation version of my original TCC unlock switch.

There are two boxes, one mounts hidden under the dash, and then there is a separate control box that can either be flush-mounted somewhere on the dash or held in your hand like a remote control.

There is 1 LED on the control box. When it is off, the TCC is in factory/auto mode. When the TCC is force-locked (manual control) for the drag racers, the LED turns green. When the TCC is force-unlocked (manual control) for the sled pulling guys, the LED turns red.

There are two buttons, the green button is LOCK, the red button is UNLOCK.

Whenever the truck is on, the box is in "stand-by" mode. The TCC works like factory, but the box is armed/ready for either a force unlock or force lock command, depending on which button you push.

So if you are driving and decide you want the converter locked, just push the green button and it will lock. If you want to go back to factory mode, push the lock button a second time. If you are in force-lock mode and you want to unlock the converter, just push the red button and the TCC will force unlock. To relock, push the green button or to go back to factory, push the red button a second time. Basically whichever manual mode you are in, if you want to go back to factory/stock, push the button of the current mode you are in a second time.

Does that make sense? I designed the button configuration/control to be as intuitive/simple as possible, in my opinion...

Sorry I ran out of video to demonstrate the force-unlock part. Then when I was pulling over to put a new memory card in, the wires going from my lockup box to the TCM came undone (I just had it temporarily taped together), and when I reconnected them I wasnt paying attention and hooked up all the wires backwards and I think it fried the TCM.

Obviously this wasnt a fault with my lockup box...if I had reconnected the wires correctly everything would have been fine. Stupid mistake, oh well.

These boxes are very close to being ready, Im hoping by the end of next week I can get the first couple boxes ready for shipping. Send me a PM if you are interested so I can put your name on the list. I havent figured on a final price yet, but it will be more expensive than my unlock-only switches, obviously.

(dont mind the crappy fit/finish and mis-aligned buttons, this was just my prototype box, obviously the final production boxes will be 'finished' properly)

[YOUTUBE]GmGQLwcZgUk[/YOUTUBE]

Ben

Attachments

• IMG_0842 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0842 (Large).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0846 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0846 (Large).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0848 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0848 (Large).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I also forgot to add that this incorporates the proper circuity to prevent the TCM from limping when you go into manual TCC-control mode.

It drives the TCC solenoid using true factory PWM as well as incorporates the factory smooth PWM ramp-up. :cool:

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
looks great Ben ! Projected cost? Any chance of there being an "auto" model ?

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
looks great Ben ! Projected cost? Any chance of there being an "auto" model ?

When you say "auto", like one that can lock based on boost or something??

Im going to try to look into that in the future, but at this point I havent done any work/testing on something like that. If/when I do come out with that upgrade Ill offer it as a cheap upgrade option. For example if you buy my lockup controller now and then in a month I come out with an updated version that includes boost referencing etc you will be able to upgrade your existing lockup controller for cheap, like 25 bucks or something.

Im shooting for somewhere roughly around $400 for this switch, roughly.

Ben

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
When you say "auto", like one that can lock based on boost or something??

Im going to try to look into that in the future, but at this point I havent done any work/testing on something like that. If/when I do come out with that upgrade Ill offer it as a cheap upgrade option. For example if you buy my lockup controller now and then in a month I come out with an updated version that includes boost referencing etc you will be able to upgrade your existing lockup controller for cheap, like 25 bucks or something.

Im shooting for somewhere roughly around $400 for this switch, roughly.

Ben

Ya something that is hands free :D It seems silly but in my truck by the time i get on the manual switch i have in there now I am already in 3rd ( 52 mph) and the converter has locked on its own already :eek:

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Ya something that is hands free :D It seems silly but in my truck by the time i get on the manual switch i have in there now I am already in 3rd ( 52 mph) and the converter has locked on its own already :eek:

Couldn't you set it up to lock at WOT? Using some sort of window switch.

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
sorry guys I kinda got backlogged because my truck has been down for a couple days with a fried TCM. :eek::

For the 6-speed guys, Im testing it on kyles truck ASAP and then Ill let you know. :)

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
can't make it to the northampton pull :( no bushing for the turbo.... and i gotta work :(

ben call me as soon as its ready so i can come pick it up.

Last edited: