Allison Intermittent p1714 and no reverse

jeffro1976

Aug 26, 2014
Michigan
2001 duramax/Allison Fresh basic rebuild (sorry DYI have to start somewhere) with the addition of transgo kit. At first multiple dtc for PSM and fluid leak at harness plug and limped. Bought new PSM and harness. Turns out I didn't have harness fully seated in case and connector fully connected. Had new parts so put them on. Now after setting overnight shifts into R and works can put into N or P and back to R and works properly but as soon as I put in D and back to R no reverse and shift indicator blinks and codes p1714. Drive shifts all 5 gears fine. Clear codes, shift to R, no reverse, R blinks and sets code, forward gears ok. Clear codes let set overnight and I have reverse again until I shit to drive. Sorry for the long post trying to give as much troubleshooting as possible. Any help is appreciated.

jeffro1976

Aug 26, 2014
Michigan
OK so if I don't get any replies before tonight I think ill drop the fluid and pan and put old PSM back on maybe new one is defective and sticking.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
What did you torque the valve body bolts to? Sounds like a valve sticking to me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The NSBU switch and PSM are not agreeing on the shift selector position for some reason.
Possible NSBU out of adjustment or damaged o ring on the reverse pressure switch due to over tightening.

jeffro1976

Aug 26, 2014
Michigan
sorry was waiting on some customers. not at the ntsg manual but I torqued to that spec. the nsbu is about the only thing I haven't changed. I know the bolt holes are slotted for adjustment, is that easy to do? the ntsg manual shows the schematic for the nsbu should I be able to check that out with my fluke. My family owns a Welding supply and have been rolling cylinders and repairing welding equipment and machines all my life so if you have a need for something about that I can help out. In fact the first trans I did about 3yrs ago was an Allison at542 I think. that truck runs overloaded 5 days aweek. 90,000 later and still kicking. thanks for the help

jeffro1976

Aug 26, 2014
Michigan
IMG_20160427_194903.jpg
This is the old PSM. I wonder where that is. I'm draining fluid now. What does the REL switch do? And would it effect the rev switch cuz it was coding rev switch stuck

Attachments

• IMG_20160427_194903.jpg
    IMG_20160427_194903.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 21

jeffro1976

Aug 26, 2014
Michigan
Also my NSBU tried to adjust. Lined up the dashes and inslled while in neutral. switch moved so I went to line up I installed and I can move it 1/4" without any movement of the inner part of switch, sloppy on shaft (man I hate that) should be nice and tight right?:thumb:

jeffro1976

Aug 26, 2014
Michigan
Ok so when I said REL I was reading off the switch manifold. According to the ntsg book it is the reverse pressure switch which was the one that was coding and had TWO DAMN ORINGS. Every thing is good now. Thanks for the insight.