AirDog and Cat 1R0751 2 micron absolute filter

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Figured I would post this up, if you see something I did wrong please point it out!!! It takes a little grinding to make them fit.

The Cat 1R0751 filter is a 2 micron absolute filter that is around 7" long and 3.5 O.D. which is bigger around and longer than the oem filter. These filters that are rated at 2 micron nominal (like the stock AD filter) means they are around 50% efficient for catching 2 micron particles, their absolute rating will be a bit higher. The Cat's 2 micron absolute rating puts it at 99.8% efficient at catching 2 micron particles which is much healthier for our 26K fuel systems.

Here is a pic of the Cat filter beside the Wix. Notice that the cap on the filter is cast and not stamped steel. It looks and feels much more durable than the wix. and yes, the threads are the same and so is the diameter of the sealing surface.

IMAG0210.jpg

To make the filter fit, I had to grind the corner off of the tabs that bolt the AD manifold to the mounting bracket next to the filter. I ground the corners off all the way up to the head of the nut. You can see the corner of the tab below next to the water seperator but it's the same next to the main filter.

IMAG0212.jpg

I ground mine with it all together on the truck (wetted parts sealed from debris). The correct way would have been to pull the 4 bolts out and lift the air dog manifold so it is away from the debri and the head of the drimel tool. The grinding marks on the manifold are light and yes I know it looks sloppy. Notice how close the clearance is on the cat filter:

IMAG0215.jpg

I also removed these tabs because they hit the cast part of the filter. Theres 2 of them, 180deg from each other. You will have to pull them off and cut them down just a little if you want leave them on the manifold. They have a hex head bolt hold them in with a small spring behind them. Best I can tell they are for keeping you from over tightening the stock filter.

IMAG0211.jpg

All good, works perfectly!!! I feel much better having the 2 micron absolute filter on my system!!

Like i said before, please let me know if you see something I did wrong or could have done better!

IMAG0214.jpg

Last edited:

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
Around here in CT the CAT filters are 14 bucks vs 20 bucks plus.. I would do it for better filtration, but i already got the airdog plus a cat 2 micron up at the stock filter head :roflmao: I guess i could always tackle a sunday job, everyone around here call my brother and i the "filtration brothers"

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I think i paid $20 for the 1R0751 which should be retail. I will have a guy who works for cat pick them up for $14 from here on out.

I was going to leave a 10 Micron on the AD and put a cat 1R0749 down stream but i decided against it. Maybe later down the road!

Just thought I would do this write up since there are all sorts of AD filter option debates and the cat filters are the only ones readily available that get down to 2 Micron absolute. The fleetgaurd, Donaldson, wix, Baldwin, etc parts store filters don't compare to the cat fuel filters in quality and performance.

sent telepathically via rooted ThunderBOLT

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
I work there... lol

You didn't modify the actual unit so it's fine. The only way you can void it is if you actually do something to impeed it's performance or normal working conditions.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Everything is working great. With the 2 Micron setup and no stock filter/housing and lift pump at 13 psi I'm holding 25.5-26000 psi on a 2800us tune. Actual and commanded stay very close on wot runs.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
1r0749 is longer and has a 1" thread instead of a 7/8. I had a filter head for the 749 that I was going to put inline and use a 6-10micron filter on the airdog if I couldn't get the cat 1r0751 on the airdog.

Last edited:

quentomania

Feb 3, 2009
Did you shave a little off the bottom of those plastic tabs where they mount to the airdog? So the screws go in a little more?