LB7: 6.6 duramax vs 6.0 gasser

dcpjfs432

Apr 14, 2018
I am looking at getting a truck... I am considering a duramax 2001-2004 model year or a 6.0 chevy same years what are your opinions on those trucks I don't need a diesel but I would like one but most people I talk to say don't buy a diesel. The gasser is going to be about $3000 cheaper than the diesel where I live but I wouldn't mind paying more to get a diesel. Just wondering the pros and cons of both. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If you dont need it, dont buy it. Make a list of pros and cons. Diesels can be more expensive to maintain and operate.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
01-04 Duramax is harder to change injectors on, I’d find an 05’-06’. I liked my 6.0 once it was tuned and about 3 grand under the hood, but I didn’t tow and it only got 10-12 mpg.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
If you can write everything that you do to it off as a business expense like many of us , then it can be fun but if you can not , then it may not be so much fun ! Or if $ is no object then go for it , but since you were weighing out your financial options , I would follow Toms advice . Good luck on your decision !

dcpjfs432

Apr 14, 2018
Thanks for all the input I guess I will have to wait and see what comes up in my area... right now I have a 86 f150 that I just rebuilt the engine on but I only get like 5mpg so I want something with a little better fuel mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
The 6.0s get poor fuel mileage , as previously stated , 5.3s get good mileage , if you do tow in hilly areas and need more torque do not rule out finding a low mile 5.7 350ci that an old man bought new and his wilf is selling it at a good price because the 1998s are a great truck , I still have mine I bought new, lots of torque and good fuel mileage ! Good luck !

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
6.0 are reliable engines and tow pretty decent but mileage is crap. It’s goung to be 12 or less regardless of how easy or hard you are on it. Duramax get good mileage and tow great but like has been said, when, not if, something goes wrong. It’s Expensive. I’m gonna go out on an unfavorable limb here and say if you’re wanting something that cheap ish to maintain yet tows good with good mpg, 12 valve Cummins with a 5 speed. Yes it’s going to be more expensive to fix and maintain than a gasser, but not as difficult or expensive as a duramax can be. Just my .02.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
For what you’re wanting to do I’d get the 6.0. Unless you’re just a gear head and want a diesel just to have one. Yeah the mileage sucks but in my area gas is about 60 cents cheaper a gallon. It will take a lot of fuel to pay for the set of LB7 injectors that you’ll eventually have to buy.

Again if your a gear head and want one it’s hard to beat the sound of cracking one off first thing in the morning. Unless you can do the up keep and repairs yourself they have the potential to eat a hole in your wallet.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
As all others have stated. I've owned both. The 6.0 gets 12 running around or highway. The diesel gets 15 running around or 18 highway. But maintance is expensive. The 6.0 is easy to work on and a great motor. Don't buy an lb7 if you don't turn wrenches. Fuel is cheap compared to maintenance

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Another vote for the 6.0 I set aside whatever you were planning to spend on a diesel and find the cleanest gas truck in your price range. You'll have less headaches down the road.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Get the diesel if you really want it, but if your practical get the gasser. I have a diesel for a toy, but I will only buy gassers for work trucks. All our fleet truck are gassers other then the guys that tow heavy a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Get the diesel if you really want it, but if your practical get the gasser. I have a diesel for a toy, but I will only buy gassers for work trucks. All our fleet truck are gassers other then the guys that tow heavy a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't it funny how that goes. I work my 2500 gas and it never breaks a sweat. My heavy duty diesel work truck shouldn't even have a hitch on it lol.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
i had a 02 with the 6.0 , loved it but she sure was thirsty. After i lifted it i would get about 8-9 mpg around town but she sounded good, i miss her
picture.php

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
OP, if you are mechanically inclined, you can do the injectors on a LB7 yourself and save a ton of money over the later engines when you buy the truck. But you really do need to plan on doing the work yourself.

I own two LB7's and love them both, one stock with a medium tune, and one built. In terms of absolute fun, a stock LB7 with a decent tune and a built transmission is an absolute blast to drive. But in terms of fun per dollar... a gas engine is a better value.

The 6.0s get poor fuel mileage , as previously stated , 5.3s get good mileage , if you do tow in hilly areas and need more torque do not rule out finding a low mile 5.7 350ci that an old man bought new and his wilf is selling it at a good price because the 1998s are a great truck , I still have mine I bought new, lots of torque and good fuel mileage ! Good luck !
I drove a 1999 C2500 for work back in college, and I loved that truck! Makes decent power, sounds great for a stock engine, and the truck would take a beating and not even care. I still keep an eye out for a clean used one, but no one seems to sell them.