LB7: 6.6 duramax vs 6.0 gasser

dcpjfs432

Apr 14, 2018
OP, if you are mechanically inclined, you can do the injectors on a LB7 yourself and save a ton of money over the later engines when you buy the truck. But you really do need to plan on doing the work yourself.

I own two LB7's and love them both, one stock with a medium tune, and one built. In terms of absolute fun, a stock LB7 with a decent tune and a built transmission is an absolute blast to drive. But in terms of fun per dollar... a gas engine is a better value.

I drove a 1999 C2500 for work back in college, and I loved that truck! Makes decent power, sounds great for a stock engine, and the truck would take a beating and not even care. I still keep an eye out for a clean used one, but no one seems to sell them.

I can do the work myself I have a small shop with a four post lift so working on it isn't a big deal but if I will have to fix it more than a gas I think I would go with the gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its pretty hard to beat gas if you are not towing heavy. 6.0 will probably need knock sensors, a fuel pump if at or over 100k, and the normal tune up stuff like plugs, wires, maybe a water pump, etc. those gen blocks are so easy to work on though. Only headache may be if one or more lifters collapse but the 99-04 trucks i cant say you hear it often on them. 4l80 wont last as long as the allison in stock forms but i see alot of truck with 200k on the 4l80 and still going strong.

either truck can have the fuel/brake line rust issues, the rust issues, abs modual issues, steering problems and so on.

Lmmbrad33

IBEW 15
May 8, 2016
Oregon, IL
I drove a 1999 C2500 for work back in college, and I loved that truck! Makes decent power, sounds great for a stock engine, and the truck would take a beating and not even care. I still keep an eye out for a clean used one, but no one seems to sell them.

www.toyshedtrucks.com Every now and then they will have one come up for sale, but everything they sell is pretty pricey. I just like to look! :roflmao:

dcpjfs432

Apr 14, 2018
i had a 02 with the 6.0 , loved it but she sure was thirsty. After i lifted it i would get about 8-9 mpg around town but she sounded good, i miss her
picture.php

That's a nice truck. Exactly what I am looking for

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
All of our service trucks are 3/4 6.0. We beat them hard,dallas traffic,highway,etc. My crewcab svc body truck gets about 11.5-13.0. Not bad and i beat the piss out of it,64,000 miles and its a 2016. Fleet oil changes with misc wiper blades and air filters are about 65-95 bucks depending. They dont tow worth a cold bucket of piss though,they will get the job done but i have learned i would rather tow with a dually,hands down. Guess im getting old.

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
That's a nice truck. Exactly what I am looking for

She was one of my favorites , all she ever needed was a fuel pump , think she had 160K or more when i traded her off. Tranny was starting to slip a little but that 6.0 was tough. Never would have let her go but had the diesel bug and it has been down hill since :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If you want a nice middle of the road compromise. Find an 8.1L truck. My buddies 03 GMC 4x4 Is a Bad Mofo. We did a California to Texas, then up to Michigan and straight back to California road trip in it. Basically Non Stop. Only stopped and shut off for fuel, food, and a few repairs.

Although its more or less mechanically stock, it has an E85 conversion and custom tune he spent a lot of time refining.

It averaged between 10-11 MPG towing 9k and that wasn't easy miles either... ;)

dcpjfs432

Apr 14, 2018
So I was at a auction yesterday and they had a 2001 gmc 2500hd duramax with 75,000 miles on it but the body was beat and it had been sitting for awhile and because of that the mice got in there and chewed some stuff it still ran but I didn't want to get something with wiring issues so I didn't bid but it went for $3600 would that have been worth purchasing??

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So I was at a auction yesterday and they had a 2001 gmc 2500hd duramax with 75,000 miles on it but the body was beat and it had been sitting for awhile and because of that the mice got in there and chewed some stuff it still ran but I didn't want to get something with wiring issues so I didn't bid but it went for $3600 would that have been worth purchasing??

you shouldnt be asking us that. you should be asking your self that. would it have been worth your frustration, time, and money to buy a truck with an unknown amount of issues and a beat body.