5 speed drum in a 6 speed??

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Have people been known to swap a 6 speed drum for a 5 speed drum in a 6 speed allison for any reason at all??

The question involves an 1100 horse dmax.

gtmax

Apr 9, 2008
No. If you've got a 6 speed drum that's beat from a previous build suggest finding another used drum. Google used Allison hard parts-- you'll find numerous businesses dealing only with Allison parts.

If this isn't relavent to your question, sorry.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Ok, I figured there would be no reason or benefit swapping a 6 speed drum for a 5 speed drum.

Normally you would look to put a 6 speed drum in place of a 5 speed, especially in a bigger power build, not the other way around.

The 6 speed drum is a better design than the 5 speed. Among other things, the 6 speed design more evenly applies pressure to the c1 and c2 clutches.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Is this something you saw? I'm just curious why you're asking.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Yes, my buddy tore his 6 speed down last night that was built about 3 years ago....he found a 5 speed drum in place of the 6 speed drum. There was a whole lot of confusion after that..

The trans was torn down Initially because it would hang gears really bad. You could count 3 seconds between shifts on a good day. His 1082 horse tune could muster up solid 12.5's in the quarter mile. Doesn't matter what you did to the tuning, it just wouldn't shift. So finally he said tear it down.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Yes, my buddy tore his 6 speed down last night that was built about 3 years ago....he found a 5 speed drum in place of the 6 speed drum. There was a whole lot of confusion after that..

The trans was torn down Initially because it would hang gears really bad. You could count 3 seconds between shifts on a good day. His 1082 horse tune could muster up solid 12.5's in the quarter mile. Doesn't matter what you did to the tuning, it just wouldn't shift. So finally he said tear it down.

Who built it?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I remember Reece working with Big Dipper when he was having his trans. issues. I think George sent him a modified 5 speed drum instead of the 6- speed drum? It's been a while so I may not be remembering correctly.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
From things I've seen here in "prebuilt" units, most places will throw one together with everything except the bell housing and valve body and then throw those in to fit the truck it's ordered for. As Evan said 5 speed drums can be built up to handle high hp and there is nothing wrong about it being done, just not what many of us would do. I have had guys total or sell their 5 speed truck and want their built 5 speed trans swapped into their new 6 speed truck for as cheap as possible, that's the only time I can think of a "5 speed drum going in a 6 speed" - but it was actually a 5 speed being converted to a 6 and swapped in a new truck.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Properly setup 5 speed drum can have less tie up on the 3/4 shift. It will also live through bad tuning better than a 6 speed drum if set up right.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
This truck was dropped off bone stock and picked up fully built. Motor, triple turbos and trans. All we know is that it was a perfect condition 6 speed when he dropped it off. No clue what happened in the mean time.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
This truck was dropped off bone stock and picked up fully built. Motor, triple turbos and trans. All we know is that it was a perfect condition 6 speed when he dropped it off. No clue what happened in the mean time.

So who stole the 6 speed drum?