4wd boost launch

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
hey guys. raced my buddy the other night, hes got an lb7 with the edge juice/attitude. ive got efi live, stock everything else. went first one to 70 (trans will limp easily).

anyway, we each did 4wd boost launches. on take off, mine jumped all over the place! i dont know if this is normal, just felt very violent and aggresive.

is everything alright or does something need fixed?

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Are your torsion bars cranked? You probably also just launched a little too hard.

ive got a leveling kit... but they new keys are just sitting on the shims on the crossmember. i could take the bolts that turn the keys up and it wouldnt change it at all. boosted at 12 psi im pretty sure.

Oct 21, 2009
How much boost were you building? What was tire psi etc. The dmaxs tend to hop around went set up stock and luanched hard. The leveling kit also tends to make it worse.

If you plan on doing this more I would consider lowering some and getting minimum tie rod sleeves. And braces as well. Also you can lower tire pressure to help if you grab.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
When I run a four wheel drive launch the steering wheel would use to practically jump out of my had rockin from side to side. Threw some sleeves and a cognitive braces on it didn't do it as bad. Turned the leveling kit down it runs straight but I can still hear the tires squealing and have been told they point in pretty bad.

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
You could put chains on the lower control arm. I have a few friends that have them on their 1500 truck trapping low 12's on 33's.

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Yeah i know about the braces, that definetly needs to be done. Just havent gotten around to doing it. Usually dont do launches, but my buddy wanted to race. Chains on
The lower arm? Just like wrap
Them around each arm?

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Listen to Tom, leveling kits put your front end angles out of whack. Leveling kits+heavy throttle in 4wd=bad news. Alot of people don't realize that when u do a boosted 4wd launch the front end raises a little causing even worse angles. Ask me how I know

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Id also explore using a straight centerlink. That might work better than braces if you want to keep the leveling kit on.

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
Yeah i know about the braces, that definetly needs to be done. Just havent gotten around to doing it. Usually dont do launches, but my buddy wanted to race. Chains on
The lower arm? Just like wrap
Them around each arm?

sureshot said:
DSC_0624.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/snapped-few-pics-today-460995/

I am still looking for the thread that it was in.

zeke38

Sep 29, 2009
Newark, IL
Ive got a leveling kit and a straight centerlink and it helped a bit but make sure your idler and pitman arm are good. They can cause some wild hopping too

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
Ive got a leveling kit and a straight centerlink and it helped a bit but make sure your idler and pitman arm are good. They can cause some wild hopping too

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Where can i get those fairly cheap? Nothing on my front end seems "firm". All needs to be done, may need to put my trans on hold again for awhile.

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
They were cranked about halfway. That damage was from my own ignorance and stupidity a few years ago. It's plain and simple. Don't do 4wd launches unless your cv angles are flat. With "green keys" this can never be achieved even if you reinforce the entire front end. All those bolt on parts are bandaids. The geometry of the front end will still suck. Your solution to clearing larger tires is to bite the bullet and install a real lift kit like the Cognito 4-6.