4Lo abs problem

outcast

Jan 27, 2014
mo
I put my truck in 4Lo and drive it for a little bit and the speedo quite working and the abs and parking brake came on and it said service braking system. I put it back in 2wd or 4hi and it works fine. Anybody know what could be wrong?

outcast

Jan 27, 2014
mo
No i was in my field there is a local run what u brung truck pull tomorow and i planned on having a little fun and ive never put it 4Lo so i was just seeing what she'd do. I remeber it done it one time in 4hi when i almost got stuck and i was giving all she had but other than that ive never had any problems.

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
No i was in my field there is a local run what u brung truck pull tomorow and i planned on having a little fun and ive never put it 4Lo so i was just seeing what she'd do. I remeber it done it one time in 4hi when i almost got stuck and i was giving all she had but other than that ive never had any problems.

Drain your transfer case and see if you have pieces of metal, or if it looks like stripper glitter. :thumb:

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
You guys act like you cant put in 4low without shit blowing up. its no different than driving in 4hi but at a slower pace.

I sled pull and move around on our property in 4LO very frequently. So your saying, and or implying driving down the interstate at 75mph in the winter time you are confident in switching into 4LO lol. :confused:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I sled pull and move around on our property in 4LO very frequently. So your saying, and or implying driving down the interstate at 75mph in the winter time you are confident in switching into 4LO lol. :confused:

well first, i didnt say put it in 4low going down the highway at 75mph ;).

secondly, you wont be able to go 75mph in 4low without some hefty tires.

third, the op never implied he tried to put it in 4low doing any kind of speed down the road.

putting the t-case in 4lo just as you do around the property and actually driving down a dirt road or other instances you normally would in 4hi is not detrimental to the t-case and street driving in 4hi on dry pavement while turning is just as bad as being 4lo. driving straight is a little different.

OP as for your issues, have the codes pulled and lets go from there but i have a feeling you have an issue with your speed sensor. codes will help pin point the issues, otherwise we are all throwing out guesses here.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
I have a new speed sensor. Just need to install it to see if it fixes the problem. Also he might have gotten the same code as me. Po502

Slowmax

Build what others' won't
Aug 3, 2013
United States
well first, i didnt say put it in 4low going down the highway at 75mph ;).

secondly, you wont be able to go 75mph in 4low without some hefty tires.

third, the op never implied he tried to put it in 4low doing any kind of speed down the road.

putting the t-case in 4lo just as you do around the property and actually driving down a dirt road or other instances you normally would in 4hi is not detrimental to the t-case and street driving in 4hi on dry pavement while turning is just as bad as being 4lo. driving straight is a little different.

OP as for your issues, have the codes pulled and lets go from there but i have a feeling you have an issue with your speed sensor. codes will help pin point the issues, otherwise we are all throwing out guesses here.

Your on your toes for a Friday James. :D I know of a person who drives a dodge. Who may just so happen to put it in 4lo going down the highway, and out spits the front driveshaft lol. Have you ever seen a front shaft cause a truck to catch and do a pole vault scenario?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Your on your toes for a Friday James. :D I know of a person who drives a dodge. Who may just so happen to put it in 4lo going down the highway, and out spits the front driveshaft lol. Have you ever seen a front shaft cause a truck to catch and do a pole vault scenario?

lol yes i have, i was driving it. it as a 92 jeep yj. i was working for a shop up in flagstaff and we had a contract with a used car dealership there to bring cars in, fix the most needed things, and bring it back to them. they brought me this heep (<-- not a typo lol) that had seen better days. well, we are told to do a test drive first to see what could possibly be wrong with the vehicle. i did a quick once over to make sure all was good and hopped in. got 3 miles from the shop doing 45mph when i noticed a bad vib from the rear. soon as i let off the gas to slow down and go back, BOOM and up the ass end of the jeep went! scared the living shit out of me. no idea how high the back went but i rode 2 wheels for 50 yards based on the road marks :rofl:. The owner of the shop then quit requiring us to do a test drive first without a full inspection before hand :roflmao:

and yeah, i had a brownie for breakfast this morning. i was on a sugar high haha

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Check the wiring on the drivers side of the trans and tcase.

As a side note, I play around in 4lo all the time. For some reason I always thought it was fun to blast through all the gears and only be moving like 15mph

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Fyi OP........I changed the speed sensor in the tcase and torqued it to 11ft lbs and cleaned the drivers side grounds. Still does it.
Going straight down the driveway in 4 low as I am coming to a stop about 5 mph abs/parking brake light flash and "service brakes" comes on. As soon as I stop it goes off now. Use to stay on......
Hope this helps you. I am trying to figure mine out and give you info as I find it.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Pull down your stock file and build your tune off the stock file. Who tuned your truck? I have ran into this more than once having an option mismatch in tune file.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
So back in the day I bought a tuned ecm from them. Sent my stock ecm to them. Ran that for a while. Last year built the trans and had the tunes updated and got a autocal. I also requested my stock tune file that they had got when I sent them my stock ecm. So I have that file. But Rob says its not in the tuning......... I guess I can flash my stock tune in and see what happens......

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
So back in the day I bought a tuned ecm from them. Sent my stock ecm to them. Ran that for a while. Last year built the trans and had the tunes updated and got a autocal. I also requested my stock tune file that they had got when I sent them my stock ecm. So I have that file. But Rob says its not in the tuning......... I guess I can flash my stock tune in and see what happens......

Yes sir that will tell you a whole lot. It has been in the tune on several trucks I have seen in the lbz era.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Yes sir that will tell you a whole lot. It has been in the tune on several trucks I have seen in the lbz era.
I just hope the "stock" file they sent me is my original stock tune from the ecm I sent them....... I will give it a shot when I have time.

Happy fathers day to all of you! Enjoy it!