4in lift in lmm

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I have a friend with an 08 LMM, he installed a 6" lift and droped the torsion bars to get it to 4" and his cv's line up perfect and it rides as good if not better than stock.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
i was thinking about getting a 6in then just lowering it just wasnt sure how they would ride. seems to be easier to get a 6in.
If you are really curious, remove your t bar adjustment bolts and drive around for a week or so, that ride will transfer over to your lift, cuz thats pretty much what you have to do to get a 6" kit to ride that low, and lowering by torsion bar has the exact oppisite affect on your ride as lifting by torsion bar, so instead of a suoer stiff ride, you get a super loose and sloppy ride. IMHO...
Iv seen the cognito and they are very nice but im not gona drop that coin on a lift even though itd be nice. ...
The cognito lift is kinda deceptive too, if you wanna do it up right it will cost significantly more than just the front box kit you see advertised, i wont use block for a rear lift either, so that add's some cost to the equation, but you will need a c/v drivline for the using the 4x over 20mph at a minimum, so add 550 to the advertised price, if you get some leafs add another 550 minimum for a mini pack set, upgrade to the fox shocks and add another 600, soo you see, the front box kit they advertise is deceptive, it is probably the most expensive lift out there once you add everything in

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
If you are really curious, remove your t bar adjustment bolts and drive around for a week or so, that ride will transfer over to your lift, cuz thats pretty much what you have to do to get a 6" kit to ride that low, and lowering by torsion bar has the exact oppisite affect on your ride as lifting by torsion bar, so instead of a suoer stiff ride, you get a super loose and sloppy ride. IMHO...

The cognito lift is kinda deceptive too, if you wanna do it up right it will cost significantly more than just the front box kit you see advertised, i wont use block for a rear lift either, so that add's some cost to the equation, but you will need a c/v drivline for the using the 4x over 20mph at a minimum, so add 550 to the advertised price, if you get some leafs add another 550 minimum for a mini pack set, upgrade to the fox shocks and add another 600, soo you see, the front box kit they advertise is deceptive, it is probably the most expensive lift out there once you add everything in

What cognito lift did u buy? The 4-6? U realize u have to crank bars to get the 6in lift right? So if u dont crank it will be like having the bars turned down. How many lifts have u put on and ran around with the bars down? Where are u gettin these facts from? Because i have installed tons of lifts, about every make, and id say the last 25 kits ive put on for people i suggested they ran it turned down, like buyin a 6in and turning it down to 4-4.5 and never once did i have someone say they didnt like the ride. Any time u turn the bars up u lose ride quality. Mid way is max id go ever. Not tryin to be a dick, just tryin to understand. If i put a lift on a truck of my own id buy it and run it turned down. And ive personally had lifts up to 13in on ifs's. Shocks play a huge roll in ride, along with tire selection.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
I have installed almost every lift out there, until the last year i have always turned the tbars up, not all the way but up alittle, level lifts always seem to get maxed out.

Everyone knows ride quality suffers when you turn up the bars, what most dont realize is your ride also changes by lowering the t-bars, naturally it makes sense.

I recently took out my t bar bolts to see for myself how the truck would ride, and in my opinion it was crap, way to soft anf loose, there seemed to be a great loss of feel for the road, again this is just my opinion on my truck, but i dont see how it could be any differant for another chev owner, so as i said in the previous post, the ride suffers when you lower by t bars just as it does when you raise by t bars just to.the oppisite problem, ie its loose and excessively soft instead of stiff and excessively rough

Im just sayin

For those who want there own answers and dont want to take a members word for it, the answer is there for you, try for yourself and play with the t bar bolts

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
The truck I mentioned that belongs to my friend has Rancho 9's on it. With the lift turned down from 6 to 4 and the ranchos set on 3 it rides like a dream.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
How many miles are on your truck? What kind of shocks? The truck u say u pulled bolts for a bit to see what it was like.
My truck, it has 140k but everything is new:D
Bilstiens, i have ran procomp mx6, and fox 2.0

^^^^^ thats my point. Ive had same results on tons of different set ups. Rides is twice what stock was.
Here is the loop, you could probably ride in my truck with the bars turned down and like it just as well, but i dont like it.... The results are no different from truck to truck and neither are my preferences, and i prefer to have the bars set up slightly tighter than stock, with fox shocks and poly bushings in the lca's

whitelmmmax

Smaller than stock
Jul 26, 2011
lake charles, la
The truck I mentioned that belongs to my friend has Rancho 9's on it. With the lift turned down from 6 to 4 and the ranchos set on 3 it rides like a dream.

Factory front driveshaft? I get a nasty vibration when I try to launch. Just always thought it was cause of my crappy angles. But now old cocoa got me thinking. :D

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
He does have factory front driveshaft but hes not a drag racer so its never been launched in 4X4. Also I like my ride slightly spongy as well does the owner of the LMM with the 6-4 lift. I also have my Rancho 9's set on 3 in the front. If I want more road feel I can crank them up to setting 9 and feel every nat I run over on the highway. When I go to the track I crank them up to 9 so my front end doesn't rise as much at launch.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
And to CoCo, I'm not trying to bust your balls, I have zero experience with lifted trucks. I love the way they look but Im just not into that. We all have different oppenions on what we like in a trucks handling and suspension feel I personally like to float like a Caddy when I cruising down the interstate.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Yeah i know what your sayin coco, just wanted to hear your opinion all the way thru. Nothin personal. Your just the first person that ive met that actually wants it stiffer ride, not many out there like that.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
:hug:
And to CoCo, I'm not trying to bust your balls, I have zero experience with lifted trucks. I love the way they look but Im just not into that. We all have different oppenions on what we like in a trucks handling and suspension feel I personally like to float like a Caddy when I cruising down the interstate.
No ball bustage was interpreted, the trucks do ride soft and almost "caddylike" with the t bars down, while i dont mind it i just dont prefer it, i like a little more feel, response and agility than lowered bars offer, in my opinion....lifted or lowered

Yeah i know what your sayin coco, just wanted to hear your opinion all the way thru. Nothin personal. Your just the first person that ive met that actually wants it stiffer ride, not many out there like that.
Well, thats just it, the ride i like is only maybe 5% more stiff than stock yet probably close to 60% more responsive and considerably more rigid and capable of maintaining proper alignment while off roading, aggressively cornering and boosted launching.

I drive harder than most and demand a lot more than others do from their vehicles, well that is until i ran into you folks here. Even still i seem to want to have something with a little more "edge" than most, oh well i always have been "a little off"

I like to throw my demented thoughts out there, and i appreciate all yours, afterall, its been a collaborative of this forums advice, knowledge and opinions that has shaped my truck, and overall understanding of it, into what it is today, i know i know, still a long way to go, chit tho, just 1 year ago i was way more effd up:D

reddogg121212

Mar 8, 2013
I dont know if your still looking, but Rancho has a promotion right now, if you buy a lift kit you get a $400 pre-paid visa card. Its on til end of june i think. Im gonna be ordering one next month hopefully.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2