475 compressor housing to cold pipe o-ring

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Talked with trent. Since this was the prototype kit (its the very first twin kit of his), an o-ring flange wasnt used. So i cleaned all the powdercoat off the cold pipe and made a gasket out of the gasket material i have and also used some copper gasket maker on it to seal it all. Set everything back in and awaiting it to dry. See of this works. Worst case, i turn the edges down on the flanges and put a small boot over the joint with two band clamps.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Talked with trent. Since this was the prototype kit (its the very first twin kit of his), an o-ring flange wasnt used. So i cleaned all the powdercoat off the cold pipe and made a gasket out of the gasket material i have and also used some copper gasket maker on it to seal it all. Set everything back in and awaiting it to dry. See of this works. Worst case, i turn the edges down on the flanges and put a small boot over the joint with two band clamps.

Big singles FTMFW :D :hug: glad you go it figured out

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well first silicone setup didnt work. put it on too thin and had the flanges mis-aligned some so a gap occured and never sealed. Shit grabbed TIGHT to the paper gasket where it touched though lol, should be good tonight. Then some more test before saturday :D

BLKLMM

<<< Slow Mamba
Jan 31, 2010
Oceanside
Come on rookie:D what I did was put some rtv on both flanges and let sit for a couple minutes b4 putting them together and tightening the t bolt clamp...

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Come on rookie:D what I did was put some rtv on both flanges and let sit for a couple minutes b4 putting them together and tightening the t bolt clamp...

You used a T-bolt clamp for a v-band connection? You my friend are the rookie :D

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You used a T-bolt clamp for a v-band connection? You my friend are the rookie :D

yeah come on now ruben. must have been some tough stuff to keep that joint from blowin out :D

i loosened the compressor housing, put a thick bead on both sides, pushed the two together but not completely flush, put the v-band on and hand tighten the nut, rolled the housing back down into position and slipped the cold pipe into the boot to the stock charger. zingged the v-band tight, zingged the compressor housing tight, and zingged the boot clamps tight. if this dont hold, im grinding flanges tonight and putting a boot on it. i GOTTA make sure that damn intercooler is good for the weekend though im pretty sure its the 475 thats plauging my big boost issue.

gotta pull the driverside lower boot off tonight as well and add "re-enforcment" :D. i have an idea for a boot cage to build just for the hell of it lol

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well this time the compressor housing to cold pipe is sealed up good! This then led to the next leak. My intake horn for the stock turbo was leakin around where it connected to the turbo. So, 30 min later its off and the dipshit that put on the horn when he rebuilt the motor knocked a peice of the gasket off so it wouldnt seal lol (and damn it if theres no one to blaim but me). So again, made a new seal out of the gasket material and put a light bit of silicone around both sides to help make sure it stayed sealed. 2 hours later since i couldnt get to the bottom bolt like i use to due to the second cp3 bein in the way, its finally on and sealed.

The on to the next leak and go figure, its the intercooler at the imfamous spot. Bottom driverside corner. So its stayin that way for the track this weekend and ill either take if off in a few weeks and have it welded or buy a new one. Other than that one, i couldnt find any more leaks :D

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
James are you sure you haven't inherited my bad luck? I know Anthony picked up some of it hopefully it didn't down to PHX

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James are you sure you haven't inherited my bad luck? I know Anthony picked up some of it hopefully it didn't down to PHX

Shit i wouldnt be surprised. Guess i should knock some of the shit talkin off till things start goin right here.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Shit i wouldnt be surprised. Guess i should knock some of the shit talkin off till things start goin right here.

LOL... my friend you will never hit 11's and if you do run a 12 it will be one of those 12.99's :happy2: