475 compressor housing to cold pipe o-ring

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
I used a square o-ring to seal mine in the groove. i forget the exact demensions but it was only like $.25 and now no boost leak :D

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Id just have trent fab you something new personally but do what Ruben said for now rtv it! Or just dont be a sissy and order a whole new kit with the billet s366 and ditch the pos ihi :D

Ill have to send my cold pipe back to him to have it done as the jigs for the old kits are no longer in use and recycled :D, this means i give up A/C driving for a while. Pains of having the very first kit. there was some sort of sealant on the compressor cover. Ill talk with trent today. Worst case ill make a paper gasket out of some gasket material i have and rtv it all in.

all this explains why it seems like the big charger seems so far behind the small charger at part throttle :eek:

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I have an early kit and my pipe has a groove and an o-ring. I just had it apart to find my intercooler leak. I ceramic coated mine, perhaps the powder coating filled in your groove. The o-ring is no bigger than 1/8".

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have an early kit and my pipe has a groove and an o-ring. I just had it apart to find my intercooler leak. I ceramic coated mine, perhaps the powder coating filled in your groove. The o-ring is no bigger than 1/8".

i have a really good feelin thats what happened. ill be sanding the powdercoat off the inner lip when i get home.

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Im guessing this is a viand connection and your wondering why the cold pipe soesnt have a oring groove? I am learning and was unaware that viand connections had orings? I have never seen a viand with a oring groove or is it just because it is coming right of the compressor? Sorry I'm learning and mine doesn't have any v bands its all boots:rolleyes:

duramax hd

Feb 27, 2009
CT
James,
I had a boost leak in the same spot when I had my first gen twins. I had a groove though for the little o-ring. The o-ring must have dried out because it was all dry rotted and cracked when I discovered the leak. I went to the hardware store with the pipe and matched up an o-ring that fit and bought 5 spares. As stated already, its a very small goove that could have been covered easily with powder coating I would imagine. Judging by the pics, it would appear that thing would leak bad! EGT's weren't high?

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
Get a big oring and a dremel tool:thumb: Or try and chuck it into a lathe and cut one OR just send it back to Trent like said above. I think you could dremel it out though James:thumb: The paper gasket and rtv would work flawlessly but every time you took it apart you would have to redo it. I wouldn't think powder coating would fill a deep oring groove? The stuff isn't that damn thick

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Im guessing this is a viand connection and your wondering why the cold pipe soesnt have a oring groove? I am learning and was unaware that viand connections had orings? I have never seen a viand with a oring groove or is it just because it is coming right of the compressor? Sorry I'm learning and mine doesn't have any v bands its all boots:rolleyes:

lol im learnin too mark. But yes, seems as though the cold pipe side should have an o-ring groove that holds an o-ring to seal agains the compressor housing and a v-band clamp holds it all together. they are not like the hot side pipe that use like a compression fitting look that the v-band clamps to

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
I say use a paper gasket and high temp rtv. I looked closely at the pics and can not see anything even close to being a groove. I would think you could at least see a silhouette of where one used to be:confused:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Get a big oring and a dremel tool:thumb: Or try and chuck it into a lathe and cut one OR just send it back to Trent like said above. I think you could dremel it out though James:thumb: The paper gasket and rtv would work flawlessly but every time you took it apart you would have to redo it. I wouldn't think powder coating would fill a deep oring groove? The stuff isn't that damn thick

lol you would be surprised. i have to sand it off eiterh way as its the sealing surface im dealin with. Like i say, if there is no groove ill RTV it for the time being so i can make sure my intercooler is good and run at the track this weekend. my dad wants to watch me run at the track for fathers day, he likes that idea better than going bowling :roflmao::D

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
lol you would be surprised. i have to sand it off eiterh way as its the sealing surface im dealin with. Like i say, if there is no groove ill RTV it for the time being so i can make sure my intercooler is good and run at the track this weekend. my dad wants to watch me run at the track for fathers day, he likes that idea better than going bowling :roflmao::D

I would use a file or block sand it to make sure it is level, I'm sure u already know this but figured i would throw it out there:thumb:

Slammed2007Lbz

Super Spicy Tunaz
Feb 1, 2009
NE Ohio
i have some goodie tools that will clean the powdercoat off fast but wont hurt the steel :D

I like those wheels you put on a 90* die grinder, the scothbrite ones:D Soft flapper disks work well also but it would still block sand it just to level it of because it may not even be level now i doubt it is. They probably just weld the end on the pipe and call it good which works but I'm just anal! Thats why Brian was so happy to sell me his old truck because i take better care of it than he did damn near:roflmao: