LBZ: 4094 VVT and some other goodies

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Time for another round of modifications. I bought a 4094 VVT a few months back and have been waiting for some other parts before it got bolted on. I got RDL up pipes, RDL EGR delete, RDL downpipe, 3" boost tube and 40% nozzles from ExtrudeHone to complete the package. The new turbo and stuff is on and we're waiting for the nozzles. It should be running tomorrow afternoon if all goes well. The truck will be on the dyno on April 2nd and will be at the track for testing in the following weeks. I'm hoping for high 11s but I would really like it to run a consistent 12.0 to be competitive in Quick Diesel class. Big thanks goes to 05_LLY for all his help. I cant wait to drive it.
:Charger:

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
You've had a 4094vvt sitting in your garage for a "few months" before even putting it on? I hate you! You know those things are on back order because of people like you!!!!:D I don't know how you could let that baby sit like that, knowing what type of whistle that things makes I wouldn't go to class or work till that bad boy was on! Grats!

VeeAte

going for 10s
Dec 7, 2010
ocean springs, ms
Time for another round of modifications. I bought a 4094 VVT a few months back and have been waiting for some other parts before it got bolted on. I got RDL up pipes, RDL EGR delete, RDL downpipe, 3" boost tube and 40% nozzles from ExtrudeHone to complete the package. The new turbo and stuff is on and we're waiting for the nozzles. It should be running tomorrow afternoon if all goes well. The truck will be on the dyno on April 2nd and will be at the track for testing in the following weeks. I'm hoping for high 11s but I would really like it to run a consistent 12.0 to be competitive in Quick Diesel class. Big thanks goes to 05_LLY for all his help. I cant wait to drive it.
:Charger:
Cant wait to see what it does, we will have almost the same setup. 11's would be sick :D

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
You've had a 4094vvt sitting in your garage for a "few months" before even putting it on? I hate you! You know those things are on back order because of people like you!!!!:D I don't know how you could let that baby sit like that, knowing what type of whistle that things makes I wouldn't go to class or work till that bad boy was on! Grats!

I just shipped one a few weeks back so there not on back order :woott:

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Thanks everyone!! I cant wait to go put it back together today! I'll post some pics and stuff when I get it home.

LOL! :D
There's no big rush when the track is closed for the winter. :cool:

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Sounds awesome Chris:thumb: I am excited to see what that turbo can do, with all your previous track times it should be a good test

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Got it all done on Saturday. Drove the truck home and developed what sounded like an exhaust leak. Turned out to be #1 not sealing the whole way. Replaced the copper. Drove it a few miles last night and its doing the same thing. I dont think I cleaned the hole out good enough. I'll take it back out today and get in there with a 12 ga bore brush. Hopefully it seals up this time.

The turbo screams! It pulls much harder up top and I'm only running stock pulse tables. The nozzles made a huge difference too. Part throttle response is way up. I cant wait to get it tuned and to the track!

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Got it all done on Saturday. Drove the truck home and developed what sounded like an exhaust leak. Turned out to be #1 not sealing the whole way. Replaced the copper. Drove it a few miles last night and its doing the same thing. I dont think I cleaned the hole out good enough. I'll take it back out today and get in there with a 12 ga bore brush. Hopefully it seals up this time.

The turbo screams! It pulls much harder up top and I'm only running stock pulse tables. The nozzles made a huge difference too. Part throttle response is way up. I cant wait to get it tuned and to the track!

That has happened to me a few times as well. Seemed like there was some gravel/sand down in there... I ended up useing compressed air to clean it out, don't know if it was the right thing to do or not but it fixed the problem.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
That has happened to me a few times as well. Seemed like there was some gravel/sand down in there... I ended up useing compressed air to clean it out, don't know if it was the right thing to do or not but it fixed the problem.

Compressed air is a good bet. Anytime you use a brush or other method you risk either just spreading crap around or getting what's on the brush on the piece to be cleaned. Thats why after fuel injection parts finish the cleaning process and are being built you have to hit each piece with air before its assembled.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I blew it out real good with air. I think a piece of the old rubber o ring might have melted in there. Its hard too see down in #1 with the De-gas bottle there. I used brake cleaner to bust the carbon loose. I'll have to move some stuff and look in there better.

I'm gonna go out and mess with it shortly. I was thinking about switching #1 & #3 around if it doesn't work this time.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Got it all taken care of yesterday. I tightened up the hold down and it stopped leaking. I drove it around for a while and everything seems OK. One more thing, this turbo is loud! :woott: