LBZ: 4094 VVT and some other goodies

wilsonck

May 8, 2008
Calgary, Ab
when you say loud, is that at idle or stepping on it? inside or outside the truck?

how about posting a video? The other videos that Tyler and someone else posted didn't seem that loud, but then again I was sitting on the other side of the computer rather than being there..

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
when you say loud, is that at idle or stepping on it? inside or outside the truck?

how about posting a video? The other videos that Tyler and someone else posted didn't seem that loud, but then again I was sitting on the other side of the computer rather than being there..

I posted the other vids. For some reason the mic doesn't pick up the jet engine sound that this turbo puts out. Guess you have to buy one to hear it.

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Here's a short vid. Its not really tuned yet. Stock pulse and vane tables. Tons of drive pressure and EGTs were a little high. Max boost was maybe 30 psi. I'll have some better ones soon now that I started playing with the tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tjx5pmM7uY

I'm surprised you have high drive pressure and egts... I can't hit 1400° on my race tune pushing 40 psi. Did you check the up pipe inlets on the turbine housing? Mine were really small and needed a lot of work to match up with the gaskets. I probably removed 1/8"-3/16" of material in some spots. Might be worth looking into. Even towing my egts are really low.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
That was last week. I got it all fixed now. It was fighting itself trying to limit boost to 30 psi. I just copied a few stock tables into my old 450rwhp DD tune. It sounded like a Weiand blower. lol. I got her all opened up now and I'm seeing 1300-1400º with a 2100 pulse. Its real nice not having the charger fall on its face after 100 like the stocker did. I'm gonna crank it up some more for the dyno this weekend. Can't wait to see what it does.

Last edited:

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Chris, how many miles have racked up on her? Give some feedback on the daily driving. Have you got any kills yet? I am anxious to know how you like this turbo throughout the week as you drive it.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Chris, how many miles have racked up on her? Give some feedback on the daily driving. Have you got any kills yet? I am anxious to know how you like this turbo throughout the week as you drive it.

I have a few hundred miles on it. Its not my DD anymore so its been sitting in the driveway a lot. :eek:

It was giving me some high EGTs when lugging in 6th up hill. Nick sent me a trans tune that fixed the issue. I really like it. Top end pull is unreal compared with the stocker. No kills. I don't race on the street unless its worth it. I have done a few boosted launches and it feels great. I think it matches up with my 1054 better. Feels like a different converter now.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
I have a few hundred miles on it. Its not my DD anymore so its been sitting in the driveway a lot. :eek:

It was giving me some high EGTs when lugging in 6th up hill. Nick sent me a trans tune that fixed the issue. I really like it. Top end pull is unreal compared with the stocker. No kills. I don't race on the street unless its worth it. I have done a few boosted launches and it feels great. I think it matches up with my 1054 better. Feels like a different converter now.

Chris, not to derail your turbo thread, but what are your thoughts on your 1054 converter? I don't know if I liked mine to well, I didn't think it coupled worth a darn.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Chris, not to derail your turbo thread, but what are your thoughts on your 1054 converter? I don't know if I liked mine to well, I didn't think it coupled worth a darn.

I agree with the coupling. Not very snappy when the TCC isnt locked, almost laggy. I noticed the Precision in my cousins truck feels better around town. I drove it about 50 miles last week and could tell a big difference. I'd like to change it but I'm waiting to see how it acts at the track.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
I agree with the coupling. Not very snappy when the TCC isnt locked, almost laggy. I noticed the Precision in my cousins truck feels better around town. I drove it about 50 miles last week and could tell a big difference. I'd like to change it but I'm waiting to see how it acts at the track.

My thoughts exactly... At least in my truck it seemed to make the truck feel real "lazy" on the street.

Also when I towed real heavy and I was backed up, in say, some softer ground and tried to pull away I would wonder if I was ever gonna actually get the load moving. It would rev up but hardly get moving. Some times I would just stop and have to put it in Lo range just to be easier on it. I would get in my dad or uncle's truck with stock converter same spot same load and they would pull away with ease.

Anyways back to your turbo thread, sorry:)