4" exhaust.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I've shearched all night. Still need answers. Seams like the mbrp is the best fit. But jegs is ok also.

Will the 4" help cool the motor down and maybe get better mpg. Not having problems but fan engages on highway pulling load and stays engaged.

Will exhaust alone give me more power. Stock truck right now. Not ready to do a tranny build. I've read even a small tune is hard on the torque converter

Got 10.7 mpg hand calc. Pulling 6k trailer running 68ish

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I prefer Flo~Pro brand exhaust kits. An exhaust will help exhaust temps a little, but that won't do much to keep your coolant temps down. Assuming your location is Dallas, TX, that's just how it is towing in the summer here. It may help your fuel mileage a little too, but if you want better mileage, you need to get it tuned. That's where you'll see your biggest improvement.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I'd lean towards a ported/polished turbo but thats my thing!! haha:D

Flo-pro or Magnaflow are good fitting systems so I'd lean towards either of them.
Ported/polished intake horn or aftermarket intake horn will help throttle response. PPE boost valve or just putting an air regulator between the cover & wastegate to adjust how much the wastegate see's will help.

If you're wanting some local guidance or someone to look at it go see JoshH, hell of a nice guy and very knowledge able!!:thumb:

Yellowchevy

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Ok thanks for all the advise. It was 101 while towing. Couldn't run AC last month because it would overheat. Bad fan clutch.

So does a small tune hurt the trans or not

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Tuning may do more damage over time, but it will all depend on how big you go and how hard you are on it. A small tune (50-60hp) and a light foot you shouldn't have any issues. Start wearing lead boots though...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Wait a sec -- an LB7 with a fan that comes on while towing on the highway? Thats not too common.

Id be checking the fan clutch and cleaning the cooling stack out first.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
^ Yes!!! Lb7s are cold blooded as hell. Even here in the heat of the Deep South, my truck rarely ever gets over 182 degrees. Fan hasn't been on in years.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Fan clutch is new. Washed out the AC condensor. Pulled radiator and washed it when head gaskets were done. With bad clutch motor got up to 230 running ac

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
So after all that how hot does it get.
I've never seen over 200 before even on the 110+ degree days. Now that not Towing but still stop and go traffic with no airflow.
As stated lb7's are cold blooded if operating properly.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
It's normal for lly-lml. Lb7s run a lot cooler. What are you towing? And is it stop and go or highway?

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
It's normal for lly-lml. Lb7s run a lot cooler. What are you towing? And is it stop and go or highway?

25' camper. Probably 7 loaded down maybe. Running down highway is when it would heat up on me before I did the fan clutch. Stop and it would cool right back down. Any thing over 60 and fan runs more but stays cool. There is a guard on the front.