2WD dragracers: Warning.

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
He did give me a very good tip though When the truck is spinning try to make it hook before it hooks itself

Wanna know a few other tips???

When the truck/car is spinning- (1) SLOWLY pull back the throttle, then SLOWLY get back into it...(2) ABORT the run...We're not doing this for a living with sponsors, save it for another day...

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
thats not the same truck that was posted with pics earlier now stacks or anything and that truck is way more screwed up then the pics were. on comp D they said he went thru the eight at 91 timing tower showed 12.14 @ 91.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Wanna know a few other tips???

When the truck/car is spinning- (1) SLOWLY pull back the throttle, then SLOWLY get back into it...(2) ABORT the run...We're not doing this for a living with sponsors, save it for another day...

Yup. When the rear is already spinning, it means it doesn't have traction. Sharp braking or chopping the throttle will transfer weight to the front, which makes things worse, not better.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I think all the comp d group thats wants roll bars on 12 sec. trucks can kiss my a$$!!! I got into truck racing because I was tired of racing fast cars and thinking what if. I fill safer in my 11 sec. truck than I did in a low 8 sec. car with a funny car cage in it. They just need to leave the rules alone! If they don't fill safe then don't race. I didn't tell everyone who races a 10.5 car to build different stuff because I didn't fill safe.:mad:

I agree, the dam thread is about 11.49 & faster. Then a couple of safety nazis come up with "Lets start with 11.49 trucks and above. Any truck running from 11.49 to 12.50 should have a cage and 12.50-13.5 have a roll bar. No one will be allowed to participate otherwise." I think a couple of people stepped up & said that will totally kill the sport. Who the the hell wants to put a cage or roll bar in their daily driver to race maybe 10 times in a year? I most certainly won't for running 11.5 or slower. If ridiculous rules like that are placed, Ill start sledpulling. As far as the 2wd vs. 4x4, 2-0 in bad crashes, 2 is still pretty damn good for 6 years or so diesels have been running 13s & faster. Pat, anything you post on Comp is going to get cutdown/critized, take it with a grain of salt.

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
Pat i have had this problem before when letting air pressure out of my tires. So to help out i go threw the water box and burn out pass the tree to kinda get a little more air pressure in the tires so it dont sway as bad. but even with 15 pounds in the tire u do not want to correct it to much or your day can and will get bad quick
I have a question, How much does the air pressure go up in a street tire after a burnout? I know in a slick it does alittle but this is 2 different animals. The constructing of the slick will allow it to a degree. A street tire is a little different though. How have you measured the difference? Before burnout & immediately after the burnout? If air pressure with your truck is an issue for handling, why drop it so far? I know just some silly questions

Just wondering

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Especially if the air in the tire contains water (not nitrogen filled) you can gain about 2PSI a pass for the first 2-3 passes.

I don't run less than 20PSI in a pickup. I have driven lower, and do not consider it safe in a heavy truck.

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Todd im not for sure that is does or dont i have just always been told that when u have low air pressure and u heat the tires up it will create more air in the tire.I guess if it dont put more air in it then it leaves a wider contact pacth to hook.

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
As henery pointed out that is not the correct truck if u notice it does not say southern diesel when it comes buy on the rollback.

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
Especially if the air in the tire contains water (not nitrogen filled) you can gain about 2PSI a pass for the first 2-3 passes.

I don't run less than 20PSI in a pickup. I have driven lower, and do not consider it safe in a heavy truck.
Thanks Pat, I knew you'd have an answer. Anything past this is not directed at you, you understand. I'm just trying to keep something important from getting clouded with speculation. So many times threads go that way.

I've been at the track & have yet to see anybody get out after a burnout & check. Check pressure before staging lanes, then burnout & then make a pass then check...yes. BUT you get a small increase on the track & from the track depending on surface temperature.

That's what my 33 + years in the sport taught me also :D
Maybe I was not the best driver but 2 psi? I never really felt a difference on the big end BUT we could measure performance gains in our 60's from that. I don't remember EVER radioing back & saying if you don't get 2 more psi in it I'm gonna wad it up.

I agree with you on the heavy truck psi for sure

mvnvltn

Part's Limit Tester
Aug 22, 2007
Sykesville, MD
Pat i have had this problem before when letting air pressure out of my tires. So to help out i go threw the water box and burn out pass the tree to kinda get a little more air pressure in the tires so it dont sway as bad. but even with 15 pounds in the tire u do not want to correct it to much or your day can and will get bad quick

That things not a top fuel car.:confused: