2nd gear start tcm tune

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Define advisable ? Those with a 3.73 like myself have more to gain from it I think as is very obvious and the benefit is proven in my time slips .

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I messed with a second gear start today for the first time. When the trans was below 150* it shifted into 2nd no problems once I tapped the throttle but once the trans gets a little warmer it would almost slam into 2nd from first when I tapped the throttle. So I went back to my first gear start for now as I didn't like that feeling one bit. I'm running the 01 (5854os) in my LLY.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I messed with a second gear start today for the first time. When the trans was below 150* it shifted into 2nd no problems once I tapped the throttle but once the trans gets a little warmer it would almost slam into 2nd from first when I tapped the throttle. So I went back to my first gear start for now as I didn't like that feeling one bit. I'm running the 01 (5854os) in my LLY.

Have you tried an 02 file like a 2881os? I tried it in mine with a 2nd gear start and seemed to shift great. Was supposed to have ODLO but didn't work on my truck so I went back to my original file.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Not sure how all years work, but with my LMM, once it goes into 2nd, you have to keep a steady throttle, or increase throttle for it to stay in 2nd. If you back off the throttle at all, it will shift back down to first and go back to 2nd. Keep a steady throttle or keep increasing it, but don't let off any

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Not sure how all years work, but with my LMM, once it goes into 2nd, you have to keep a steady throttle, or increase throttle for it to stay in 2nd. If you back off the throttle at all, it will shift back down to first and go back to 2nd. Keep a steady throttle or keep increasing it, but don't let off any

I got ya Kyle makes sense, I mean as soon as I start with the throttle boom yanks the truck into 2nd very harsh, and then it's fine but the whole banging into that gear is what's scaring me.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Maybe I need more throttle position, maybe instead of just tapping it I should ease into it a little more to engage 2nd smoother? :confused:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
No idea, but I cant stand a 2nd gear start tune for daily driving. I hate that it has to wait for throttle input to shift. If anyone has a tcm tune that will do 2nd gear as soon as its pulled into drive that would be awesome. Oh, and ODLO has to work :thumb:

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
No idea, but I cant stand a 2nd gear start tune for daily driving. I hate that it has to wait for throttle input to shift. If anyone has a tcm tune that will do 2nd gear as soon as its pulled into drive that would be awesome. Oh, and ODLO has to work :thumb:

Exactly! I would love for it to automatically shift into 2nd as soon as we shifted it into drive then I wouldn't have this problem I'm having lol

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I'm not gonna lie guys , I didn't even realize all that was going on. It explains some things . Nothing bad but stil explains some things . Glad you chimmed in Harbin22

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I definitely ease into the throttle to let it get into second, but I never let off off any once it does. Keep regular mode starting in first, make tow haul 2nd gear start. Get up to staging on regular mode and click into tow haul so it will go to 2nd gear and start staging.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I definitely ease into the throttle to let it get into second, but I never let off off any once it does. Keep regular mode starting in first, make tow haul 2nd gear start. Get up to staging on regular mode and click into tow haul so it will go to 2nd gear and start staging.

10-4 Kyle, ya that's how I have it set up now. I'll play with it a little more tomorrow after work. Maybe it was just me not appling enough throttle confusing the TCM which gear it needs to apply.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Exactly! I would love for it to automatically shift into 2nd as soon as we shifted it into drive then I wouldn't have this problem I'm having lol

I need to find a few different tcm files to try, I've read of guys getting it to work like that but never found what OS anyone was running.

Must be nice having a 6spd! Of the 3 files I have ran, I had to change the shift speed to zero mph in every mode for it to respond. So no regular / TH mode split for me so far :(

I'd love to try more files but this constant relearning is probably killing my trans

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I need to find a few different tcm files to try, I've read of guys getting it to work like that but never found what OS anyone was running.

I'd love to try more files but this constant relearning is probably killing my trans

That would be awesome, I'm gonna try it one more time tonight and if the slut starts banging into 2nd again I'm sticking with the first gear start because I'm with you I don't wanna swap OSs and have to relearn the trans.