2nd gear start tcm tune

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It takes 3 stage bulbs to light before auto start activates. Only 2 lit, take your time unless you were the one that wasn't courteous.

You will burn up a converter at some point.

Using for a best ET on a slick track or to win an event is worth it. Living by a second gear launch because of lack of truck set-up will become expensive.

Just my .02 from experience.

I remember few years back Mike posting about 2nd and 3rd gear starts for the sled pullers and that it was harder on clutches as well IIRC. maybe things changed some since?? or my memory sucks which is very plausible :D

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I say test the theory for us all and see how many times you get by before something fails in the tranny or converter. It would be a little R&D that we could all learn from.:spit:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I say test the theory for us all and see how many times you get by before something fails in the tranny or converter. It would be a little R&D that we could all learn from.:spit:

Pitch in some cash for the converter refresh and I'll run the snot out of this trans:woott:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
2nd gear start helped me out a bunch as I'm just running Cooper Discovery A/T's. They wouldn't hook up even with ten fat chicks in the back :rofl: Lowered my 60ft time slightly but launched so much smoother.

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
Bringing this back up . Does any one have good solid info on 2nd gear launches like 60' times before and after and did it increase your MPH , did it better your Et ? I'm very interested in knowing reason being my truck pulls hard as hell out of the hole but when that thing catches 3rd it flat plants you in the seat . My logic is that the sooner I can get the truck in 3rd it's gonna improve 1/8 et and
MPH as well as 1/4 et and MPH . My Butt Dyno is telling me so . Anybody been there and done that ?