2014 Camaro SS LML Build Thread

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Got her home, looks good and gears all feel ok. Didn’t come with a shifter but found one near by on market place for 40 bucks. So it’s been a weekend of really great deals at the very least lol. Still waiting on clutch haven’t heard back from SB in about a week. So in the meantime I’m gonna install it and see how close it is to the factory shifter mount. I’m hoping it’ll line up with little modification.

Attachments

• IMG_6325.jpeg
    IMG_6325.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: malibu795

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Threw the trans up in the tunnel tonight to see what i was up against for mount and shifter. You know i firmly beleive someone at gm was thinking that maybe a duramax would be optioned in the camaro because i now have the LML bolted in with all factory camaro mounts, the trans fits with the factory camaro mount, the shifter lines up perfectly and the driveshaft fits perfectly. It just all fits perfect and i love it. Heres the pics, enjoy!

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0424.JPGIMG_0426.JPGIMG_0428.JPG

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Got the T87 wired in, had a bit of a mixup and crossed one of the gmlan wires. But got that sorted and was able to full flash the proper OS in using hpt. For some reason efi live wouldn’t let me change the OS. Played with the wires for the mode selector and was able to replicate P,R,N,D. Will need a few relays and some creative wiring to get it all functioning. I’m thinking I’ll default to D, I’ll put a normal clutch switch in and when you press the clutch it’ll read nuetral, and of course reverse will be reverse. Was able to get the starter to crank in N so things are looking good.
IMG_6356.jpeg

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Little update had some time tonight to finalize my wiring plan. Interesting enough the ecm doesn’t care what the TCM says for selector position. As long as the ecm p/n safety wire is grounded, it will engage the starter. Even tried it with the TCM reading in D, and it still started. So that’s neat.

New plan, car will always think it’s in D. Then the Reverse switch will activate a relay, which will break one of the signal wires (87a) and connect (87) to tell it it’s in reverse. And if I want a working clutch safety switch I can wire it to the ecm. I should keep cruise working this way. More testing will confirm.

Also my clutch/flywheel has been sitting ready at south bend since last friday. Apparently they were waiting for me to call even tho I already had giving payment a shipment info. But whatever it’s on it way now! Can’t wait.

Also also, learned from kidturbo you need pro licence to override the os mismatch in efi live, or has has another method that works also.

Thanks for all the help/input so far everyone. 🍻

Reactions: Hoser and darkness

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Th
Threw the trans up in the tunnel tonight to see what i was up against for mount and shifter. You know i firmly beleive someone at gm was thinking that maybe a duramax would be optioned in the camaro because i now have the LML bolted in with all factory camaro mounts, the trans fits with the factory camaro mount, the shifter lines up perfectly and the driveshaft fits perfectly. It just all fits perfect and i love it. Heres the pics, enjoy!

View attachment 124212

View attachment 124213View attachment 124214View attachment 124215

That's what I thought when I put a Dmax in a GMT400/455 truck

Reactions: Jakezed22

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Another update, got t87 wired in and the trans is working good. It defaults to D and when put in reverse it shows R.

Now just working out what to do with speed sensor. The t87 uses a new style current based 9v sensor. Original was a VR sensor. I am currently trying to find a sensor that will fit into the tr6060 with no mods since that would be easiest.

Clutch is on its way. And clutch slave and line have all showed up already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Another update, got t87 wired in and the trans is working good. It defaults to D and when put in reverse it shows R.

Now just working out what to do with speed sensor. The t87 uses a new style current based 9v sensor. Original was a VR sensor. I am currently trying to find a sensor that will fit into the tr6060 with no mods since that would be easiest.

Clutch is on its way. And clutch slave and line have all showed up already.

On the new style sensors pinout out is critical. On the old VR, either way will get you a pulse.

Did a little digging yesterday and then hit up my ex Dmax master tech buddy, who suggest testing both ways, with a T87, and a T42. He agrees either unit should get you the same results. I personally have ran a T42 against a E35B, and that one communicated fine. For just a VSS and N safety, either should do the trick.

Also did a bit a digging on the VSS options. For the T87, I would start with a speed sensor out of a 2014+ Allison. Thinking that will bolt right in, and has right voltage flavor. However keep in mind he gap to rector on these 9v sensors is super tight. Like ,030 tight. Playing with both on the bench, quickly noticed the old VR stylle will read a finger width gap.

Last, have you counted the teeth on that stick trans tail shaft yet? It sure didn't look like a standard 40 in the pic you shared.

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
On the new style sensors pinout out is critical. On the old VR, either way will get you a pulse.

Did a little digging yesterday and then hit up my ex Dmax master tech buddy, who suggest testing both ways, with a T87, and a T42. He agrees either unit should get you the same results. I personally have ran a T42 against a E35B, and that one communicated fine. For just a VSS and N safety, either should do the trick.

Also did a bit a digging on the VSS options. For the T87, I would start with a speed sensor out of a 2014+ Allison. Thinking that will bolt right in, and has right voltage flavor. However keep in mind he gap to rector on these 9v sensors is super tight. Like ,030 tight. Playing with both on the bench, quickly noticed the old VR stylle will read a finger width gap.

Last, have you counted the teeth on that stick trans tail shaft yet? It sure didn't look like a standard 40 in the pic you shared.
Tooth count is only 17.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Yeah I also keep a couple on the bench for testing, just because so darn cheap and handy.. And you can dumb them way down by just disabling all DTCs..

With either tcm unit, ya now need to match up that tooth count or ppr # in both ecm and tcm, so speed limiter and related speedo calcs are correct. Then should be Cruizin.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jakezed22

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
IMG_6400.jpg
T42 is in and working good, put a drill on the output shaft and even got it to read some speed. The mode switch was wired exactly the same as the t87 so was super easy to swap over.

Reactions: kidturbo

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Clutch showed up today. The throw out bearing and pressure plate aren’t gonna line up as is. Throw out bearing nominal diameter is 54mm and this pressure plate measures about 74mm. Not sure yet what a solution for this will be, possibly machining a hub to increase size?

I’ll give south bend a call in the morning to see what they suggest. Not sure if pressure was supposed to be like this or what.

Attachments

• IMG_6406.jpeg
    IMG_6406.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Sad
Reactions: Bdsankey

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Talked to brian, a throw out bearing from a LBZ duramax should bolt right into my tr6060 with little to no modification. So ill see if i can track on down.

Reactions: malibu795

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
So drove 900 km on friday to get a slave cylinder from a 2006 LBZ only to find out it does not bolt right in lol. Its actually much shorter so i ended up fabbing a 1 inch thick spacer/adapter to bolt it to the front of the tr6060. This added height also put me right around .200 clearance and still had .660 travel to release. Another really awesome thing is the factory camaro clutch line is the same fitting and snap right into the slave. Trans is all installed now. Checked for bellhousing clearance ahead of time and all good there. Clutch bleeding went very well and the clutch is operating correctly.

So today i just gotta install driveshaft, exhaust, and clean up wiring/loom and i should be good to go.

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Alright shes up and running, pretty fun to drive! everything working good except cruise. I see in the wiring for the T42 it has a Cruise Brake Switch. Perhaps i need to have that connected. Gonna enjoy some Canada day stuff now with the fam. So wont be bakc on this till tuesday. If you got any ideas let me know!

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
Just reviewed the diagram and the T42 only has an input for brake signal, but i also just remembered ive got my neutral safety switch wired closed all the time and maybe that will cause cruise to not engage.

Reactions: kidturbo

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
I'm going with B..

As in Brake pedal switch possible also.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
I couldnt wait, i unhooked the neutral safety switch and it worked. Speedo is very erratic tho so im hoping that is just a faulty sensor. Its quite interesting, i mentioned before when the clutch pedal is not depressed the car is limited on power, i haven't confirmed what, but feels like mm3 is severely limited. When neutral safety to ecm is grounded it completely bypasses this limiter though and runs full power. So works as follows:

Neutral safety connected + clutch released = no cruise/full power

Neutral safety disconnected + clutch released = cruise/ limited power

I will likely just trick the secondary brake switch (witch is connected to cruise pedal right now) with a stationary sensor to make this work OR i will just un plug it if the cruise will still work witrh it unplugged.

Also since i have the car running now ill bug a guy i know again about mapping out manual trans parameters.

Last edited: