2002 duramax dually HELP plzzz turns over but wont start

Racergirl

Jul 24, 2011
HI I am hoping someone can help me. I was out in my 2002 chevy 3500 duramax today. It was running fine, went into a store & when i came out & went to start it all my key accessories dash lights started flashing like strobe lights, then the truck would not start. My low fuel level light started flashing & the guage was reading empty, but its full. The motor turns over but it will not start up. I plugged in my little scan guage tool that i have but it won't connect to the computer. after a 4 hour tow truck nightmare, finally found someone & at 40mph....it was a long ride home. If someone has any ideas or thoughts. I can usually do my own repairs but Im lost on this one

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
It definitely sounds like an electrical problem, not a mechanical issue. Have you tried unhooking the batteries to reset the electrical system? If not I'd disconnect both of them and let it set for an hour or so before reconnecting

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Ahhhh I didn't even think to ask that, I've heard of those POS shorting out like that with those symptoms.

or just getting hot and shutting down. i went thru 3 of them on my truck. good customer service on their part each time but that doesnt help when youre at a green light and broke down, unplugging the bail connectors in rush hour and its 116 outside :woott:

Racergirl

Jul 24, 2011
OK I disconnected the battery for over an hour. As I was hooking up the battery Im getting lots of sparks which is very odd. When I tried to start it, the dash lights are not flickering like they were but my fuel gauage went crazy spun the needle straight pointing down & it still wont start..... oh I needed my truck in the morning so bad =(

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
Check all your cables, make sure nothing is grounding out anywhere. I know that's a long shot , just thinking out loud. Check down by the starter aswell

Racergirl

Jul 24, 2011
When I did the one it sparked & I didn't hook it up. I went to the other one & it sparked, so I hooked that one up & then went to the other one & it did not spark again ( but it shouldn't have)

Racergirl

Jul 24, 2011
yea thanks, ran out of day light. I'm gonna check out all the connections in the morning. I'm looking up where all the ground wires are in the truck hopefully I will find them. Thanks for the help.