2002 duramax dually HELP plzzz turns over but wont start

brandonkinney

Jul 17, 2011
just wondering when you were hooking up the batteries did you have the door open by chance cause if you did. it would spark because it is trying to generate juice to turn on the interior light as well. but also yes check for a postive short to ground. every truck i have ever seen that sparked like you are saying your did. its normally a loose postive wire at the starter. just follow both of your postive cabels to where they attach and see where that leads you. good luck getting it running.

kdDuramax

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC
Jul 31, 2011
Wasilla, AK
I went to start my 2002 Chevy 6.6L last week and found it giving me the rat-a-tat-tat/buzz sound. Lights & gauges are all in working order. I saw sparks on the battery(s) when I disconnected them. Pulled the batteries and they are charged up with good numbers. Thought the starter could be going out. Connected the batteries back up to try starting it once more and the truck started right up.

Went out yesterday afternoon to pull it out, it started up a little hesitation. I went to drive it back in the garage last night and found the same problem ... buzzing sound. Tried turning the key again, and the gauges went hay wire. Third time, nothing.

Today I was going to try to pull the starter (found it to be more technical than my tools can handle) and have it tested. But do the technical challenge, I gave up and pulled the battery cables off once more just to try it. Had the cables off for an hour+, connected them up again and the truck started right up with a little hesitation. I let it idle and drove it for about 20 minutes. Parked it, tried starting it immediately again and same buzz noise. Tried it a second time and the gauges went bisserk before the security light came on.

Do I have a grounding/power drain issue or is my starter going out? Any thoughts?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Im guessing you have 1 or more injectors stuck open and your truck cant build enough presure to engauge the bosch ficm.IIRC it takes 1500 to 1200 psi for the ficm to operate the injectors if less then that they wont operate.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I went to start my 2002 Chevy 6.6L last week and found it giving me the rat-a-tat-tat/buzz sound. Lights & gauges are all in working order. I saw sparks on the battery(s) when I disconnected them. Pulled the batteries and they are charged up with good numbers. Thought the starter could be going out. Connected the batteries back up to try starting it once more and the truck started right up.

Went out yesterday afternoon to pull it out, it started up a little hesitation. I went to drive it back in the garage last night and found the same problem ... buzzing sound. Tried turning the key again, and the gauges went hay wire. Third time, nothing.

Today I was going to try to pull the starter (found it to be more technical than my tools can handle) and have it tested. But do the technical challenge, I gave up and pulled the battery cables off once more just to try it. Had the cables off for an hour+, connected them up again and the truck started right up with a little hesitation. I let it idle and drove it for about 20 minutes. Parked it, tried starting it immediately again and same buzz noise. Tried it a second time and the gauges went bisserk before the security light came on.

Do I have a grounding/power drain issue or is my starter going out? Any thoughts?
sounds like plates in the batt touching to me bad batt?

kdDuramax

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC
Jul 31, 2011
Wasilla, AK
sounds like plates in the batt touching to me bad batt?

I thought that too since both batteries are AC Delco (how do I determine if they are the factory originals), but I had the batteries tested and O'Reilly's said they should be good. They are just slightly down on volts and amps. Is that enough to cause the erratic gauge behavior and lack of starting?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
The reason i say that is someone had a post complaining of the same thing and he replaced the batt and it solved the problem so i can not be sure