LLY: 2 much smoke

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
Ok Limiter is 3200? well that is where it sputtered but went on up to 3400. Also when I said turbo went quite. You start hearing it whine around 1700 but then around 25 hundred it goes silent.

Last edited:

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
OK so I guess I have been possibly looking in the wrong area. This is only a guess or it is many things making be this way. My smoke is more of a grey. It has been knocking. Honestly this truck sounds like my 12V cummins did. also tonight it started to shake whenever we reved the rpm's up to 2500. like it was missing. Also when reving the motor with the hood up there was some smoke coming from the turbo. Not a lot but a little. The truck is a gutless wonder and my friend said he thought it was a valve issue.

I know I said the turbo didn't sound loud but when you have the windows down you can hear it alot better. I think the interior is just dampens the sound more than I am used too. Also it is shifting really weird like it can't make up its mind what gear to be in. I honestly think it is related to the lack of power. I could probably be. I plugged it into a scanner tonight to while it was running and got a lot of number that I have no idea what mean.

Also my fuel pump made a loud clicking sound I have never heard it make. I have heard it on gas cars before usually meaning the fuel pump was going out from my experience.

I am wondering if I basically got a ticking time bomb.

Last edited:

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
What fuel pump are you talking about? Factory injection pump or aftermarket lift pump? Search, ice pick injector harness. Might take care of your issues. Also check the wiring harness by the alternator bracket for damage

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
Robby05 - I am not exactly sure to be honest. that was just the sound I heard reminded me of a fuel pump inside of a fuel tank in a gasser that I have heard when the fuel pump was going out. It was a knocking sound that went on when the truck wasn't running and the ignition was on for about 2 min then quit. and the fuel lines where jumping. I saw that because I have a hole in the flat bed in the center that is pretty big where the ball hitch is. It is a weird set up. but the hole is probably an 18"x18" square. The truck has 2 fuel tanks that level each other off so I don't know if that is factory or not.

GeorgiaDieselGTO - it very well could be except the low idle is smooth like there is not shake of the truck and it doesn't act like it wants to die. I am not saying that it isn't that. Just what I have read it doesn't sound like that. To be honest I don't know where it is to check it. I also see you have an 00 vw bettle TDI.. I have a 2015 Passat TDI. We just bought 3 months ago. on the HWY I average 52 mph. I have gotten 55 mph average over 180 miles in it but it was all highway and only slowed down once :).

GeorgiaDieselGTO

Wants to drive his truck
May 12, 2010
Crossville
Can you check balance rates? My inclination is bad injector or injectors. I'm guessing from fuel contamination at some point. I have seen similar symptoms and it was injectors although u may have egr issues as well

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Is the egr blocked? The missing and the smoke sounds like bad injectors or a wiring issue. Check the easy stuff first.

Rev limiter is 3200 and should be a smooth limiter, if it's bouncing them it's most likely got a tune.

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
I have been looking up on getting new a new injector or injectors and I am coming across full injectors and injector Nozzles. Can I get just the Nozzle and putting it on myself or NO?

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
I have been looking up on getting new a new injector or injectors and I am coming across full injectors and injector Nozzles. Can I get just the Nozzle and putting it on myself or NO?

If your injectors have internal wear, changing out just the nozzles with not fix your issues. We have complete injectors as well as nozzles. Let me know if we can help.

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
If your injectors have internal wear, changing out just the nozzles with not fix your issues. We have complete injectors as well as nozzles. Let me know if we can help.

Ok couple questions? What are just the nozzles for? and do you know or are affiliated with anyone in kansas city that can tell me which injectors are bad and need replaced? I am loosing faith in the people I have talked to. And I was quoted 7200 to have all new injectors put in which sounds like robbery. I can understand the LB7 but not the LLY being that much. I told him I could do the wrenching I am not any good at the diagnosing and he quoted me 4 hour he said which I don't know what the price per hour is but this was at a chevy stealership.

Here is my situation or a little about me I guess.. I have my first child to be born in 3 weeks. Money is tight because I don't know what to expect I hear kids are expensive and so are diesels. I have been trying to buy this truck off my brother for about a year. well I bought a little 4 banger car and he traded me straight up to help me out. My dad is a small engine mech and my grandfather was a mechanic. I am in NO WAY a mechanic but I have wrench quite a bit helping. I do gunsmithing all day everyday for a big gun company. I am good at taking things apart and putting stuff back together. I just don't understand what each and every part does and why I guess. Like the Nozzles for instance. I have been thing to look up where the EGR is and how to clean it and find a video for a while on an LLY and the only thing I can really find is Take it off it is hard for your motor. Where that may be the case I do not have the funds to do all of it at the moment. I would like to see a video of someone taking the EGR out and cleaning it and all. If someone knows where a video of that is. That would be great. Also Thank you everyone for the help.

Funny note I realized Polarized sunglasses make the smoke look Way Way worse than it is.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
The cheapest way to verify if the egr valve is leaking and possibly fix your problem at the same time would be to install an egr blocker plate.

Here is a video to give you an idea of where you will be placing the plate.
EGR blocker install

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
One question on the blocker plate. If the egr is stuck and I put the plate on. It will fix the problem? I wouldn't need to take it out and clean it?

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
It will stop boost from flowing past it, if it is leaking. So yes but, you may get an egr flow code with it blocked that can easily be fixed with tuning, or ignored till you can afford tunning.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Some trucks may loose power with an EGR code but I have not had it happen. Google search fingerstick, it is a fooler that can be wired in for cheep if you never plan on getting the truck tuned.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Ok just watched your video on something with sound.... I wouldn't waste time on the EGR just yet. Its hard to tell through video what the knock is, could very well be an injector. I would find someone that can check balance rates. Before you spend the money on a new set of injectors I would do a compression test also to see what kind of condition the engine is in.