LLY: 2 much smoke

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
I apologize I haven't been on. I set this to send me email notifications and it just stopped.

Well I took it to a Mechanic and it has been there. I just got off the phone with him and he is scratching his head. He said he needed atleast another day... That he had the glow plug control module and that was it. He said he could see that was bad but as far as anything else...... He said he had never saw a Duramax sound like that and smoke like that under throttle. At idle there is no smoke what so ever. Oh and that the fuel wasn't all getting burnt.. (which I already knew)

So I am at a loss I do not know what to do... I guess I just get to keep waiting..

The Mileage is 211,236 I believe what I saw when I left there either way I know the 211,2XX. I do not know if that is the factory injectors or not.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Who are you taking it to up there? There's a forum member who has a shop up that way I believe..

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
D&D auto in independence. I was told he was good. I have heard great thing about him.. and he is close to me like 5 blocks.

Who is it that is close?

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
Ok I just talked to the mechanic and he said he is leaning toward a bad Cp3 pump... I am wondering if anyone else here has had a bad cp3 pump and if there truck acted like mine. No smoke at idle and smoke during driving.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Seems odd your not getting a low rail code if the injector or cp3 are bad.

Ask him how he diagnose it. In detail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Not knocking your mechanic but Id want a second opinion on a cp3 causing excess smoke with no rail codes..

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not knocking your mechanic but Id want a second opinion on a cp3 causing excess smoke with no rail codes..

x2.

he shouldnt be "leaning towards". he should have some definitive answers. your not paying him to throw parts at it and be a parts replacer, your paying for someone to diag the truck properly and fix it accordingly

IMHO, its not the CP3 but stranger things have happen and im not there to see the truck

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
I appreciate the help guys thanks. That is where I am with it. I don't know much about the duramax except it seems it was made to throw a code over pretty much anything and everything. The fact I have no code is what is killing me. Well no code pertaining to what is going on. He also said he could be a wiring issue. Whatever that means. someone mentioned the ice pick test. I didn't really understand it. I had already dropped it off but were they basically insuring continuity or what?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
If your willing to bring it about 4 hours south Id be more than happy to diagnose and fix for you.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I'm still guessing it's return side on the injectors, that can be tested without sending them off but you'll need an old return hose and a measuring cup

But even then he should be getting a RP code if it's to the point it's smoking like that. I would think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
If your willing to bring it about 4 hours south Id be more than happy to diagnose and fix for you.

If Corbin ^^^ this guy, is willing to look at for you, save yourself some money and bring it down to him... A Bosch Reman CP3 is 725 bucks from Lincoln Diesel, tack on another 2-300 bucks for r&i puts you at a grand, for a possible un-needed part. I'm with the others it doesn't sound like a CP3 issue to me either.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Could be wiring as well. That's why testing things is important instead of throwing parts at it.
My LLY always would pop/miss and puff smoke at 1/4 throttle at 2900-3000 RPM's on the stock tune only. Never did figure it out, once the motor was built and new injectors went in it never did it again.

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
Yeah I really don't want to just throw parts at it. And I am kind of in a rock and a hard spot right now. I have family in from over seas.. My first child Due Friday and this is going on. I am kinda just leaving this alone honestly at the moment. If I don't like his answer I may have to make the 4 hour drive. Unfortunately at the moment I can't take off that far from home. I just don't get it though. His worker that is the supposed GM tech has been sick or something wrong now for the last week and a half off and on. The Mechanic I have been talking to is the owner and is just basically relaying the information that has been given to him. So I don't want to short him to much. I will not have the part put on if he isn't 100% certain that is what it is.