1992 Dodge D250 Duramax

Hey guys,
My name is Jared and I'm from Central California. I'm new to this site and decided to join to get some info on this swap that I'm planning and to share it with you along the way.

Currently my truck has a 5.9L 12 valve cummins in it that's been hot rodded enough to get me to an 11.85 1/4 mile time. My plan is to sell my motor to my bother for his truck and then start this swap. I bought a 2004 Federal LB7 motor from Russ at RPM Motorsports along with a complete MPI dual cp3 kit and custom side mount turbo piping. The cp3 kit comes with a 45% over pump and the piping uses manifolds from a Kodiac truck that don't have a divot for the steering shaft in them and flow a little more.

Here's the plan:

•add ARP head studs replacing one at a time (are there multiple types of ARP's?)
•add a set of valve springs from ???
•weld water pump impeller to the shaft
•hook up my current AirDog 165 and turn it down to 14 psi
•buy an adapter plate and custom flex plate from ??? to run my dodge 47rh behind the duramax. It's all ready upgraded pretty heavily but some more upgrades may also be put in place.
•run a single BW s480 80/83/1.10 t4 turbo
•run the stock, remanufactured injectors that Russ installed
•install a custom full 5" turbo back exhaust
•install a custom air intake using 5" piping and a big S&B filter
•tune it with efi live

I know the tuning will be key to keeping the rods straight. I'm hoping it'll get decent fuel economy on the street with how light my truck is (5,000 pounds) and I want to run in the low 12's if I can do so while keeping the engine alive. If you guys have any suggestion on where to get some of these parts that I need or have any advice on what else to do to the motor while it's out then please let me know. I'm new to duramax's but look forward to the tune-ability and drive-ability that they offer.

Thanks,
Jared

That 80mm is going to play hard on those rods, but good thing it doesnt spool till 2000rpm+

From what I've been told, going fast is ok with stock rods, it's just getting there that kills them. The 80 will come on later which will help keep the torque down and save the rods. The reason I'm using such a big single is because I bought it for $200 needing a rebuild. Why not for that price?:dontknow:

Here's some photos for guys:

2a5u6ama.jpg

erytyqas.jpg

tegezytu.jpg

pe4ajupa.jpg

7u2e5u7y.jpg

erujyme6.jpg

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Use that 480 turbo twinned w/ the stock turbo. ;)

Suncoast & destroked make setups for bolting the 47/48 to the dmax.

Id think you'll be able to make 550-600 rwhp pretty easily & relatively safely so you should have no trouble running low 12sv or better at 5000lbs especially if you can get that 2wd to hookup. :thumb:

Use that 480 turbo twinned w/ the stock turbo. ;)

Suncoast & destroked make setups for bolting the 47/48 to the dmax.

Id think you'll be able to make 550-600 rwhp pretty easily & relatively safely so you should have no trouble running low 12sv or better at 5000lbs especially if you can get that 2wd to hookup. :thumb:

I didn't get the stock turbo with the motor. Not only that but it will add to the price considerably and drive pressures will be through the roof since the 80 has an 83mm exhaust wheel and is a t4. Is it really that bad? This baby has 20 more valves and 0.7 more liters than my cummins!!!:thumb:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I didn't get the stock turbo with the motor. Not only that but it will add to the price considerably and drive pressures will be through the roof since the 80 has an 83mm exhaust wheel and is a t4. Is it really that bad? This baby has 20 more valves and 0.7 more liters than my cummins!!!:thumb:

Yes, it will be that bad unfortunately. I think you're going to hate the lag.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Just noticed that that turbo has a 1.10AR...

I would SERIOSULY consider going to a .90AR. You will hate that turbo, and frankly, on stock injectors, its not going to be anywhere fun. I tried a 83 turbine on a 1.10 and it sucked.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

I would SERIOSULY consider going to a .90AR. You will hate that turbo, and frankly, on stock injectors, its not going to be anywhere fun. I tried a 83 turbine on a 1.10 and it sucked.

It's not even bad :baby:

Drive pressures will go through the roof with a .90 housing. Then I'll need to put an external gate on it and at that point I would be asking myself why I didn't just stay with the 1.10 housing and use a diverter valve. I appreciate the advice, I really do, but I'm coming from driving a mechanically injected 12 valve, those really suck at spooling stuff. There's only one way to tell if I won't like it...:driving:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Drive pressures will go through the roof with a .90 housing. Then I'll need to put an external gate on it and at that point I would be asking myself why I didn't just stay with the 1.10 housing and use a diverter valve. I appreciate the advice, I really do, but I'm coming from driving a mechanically injected 12 valve, those really suck at spooling stuff. There's only one way to tell if I won't like it...:driving:

Well, there is another way. You could listen to the advice from lots of others who already have the experience you're looking for. Drive pressures will be fine with a. 90 housing, it all comes down to fueling. Coming from a 12V you have a bit to learn when it comes to Dmax.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I don't know why everyone is jumping this guys bones. He didn't exactly ask us all "if" he should use this turbo. It's seems he has a budget and has some good knowledge. If he wants to try out the 80 and it works for him, why not? He knows about the rods so he knows the risks. He has not made one jab at anyone here and I'm starting to see some instigation come up cause he's going against the norm. Can we not just sit back and watch something different and see how it works out for HIM and not US?

Cool project and I'm looking forward to see how it turns out! Get yourself a high stall converter and some good tuning for that big turbo.