1967 RS Duramax Camaro

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Here's the beginning of my stainless gauge panel. When I was done with it, I wasn't happy with it. It was too big and bulky. When sitting in the car my knee would block 1 1/2 gauges, so I eventually cut it in half.

IMG_0922_zps98cf09be.jpg

IMG_0923_zpsc3774c21.jpg

IMG_0924_zpsb7bdb085.jpg

IMG_0925_zps77006944.jpg

IMG_0948_zpsaaae3e9c.jpg

IMG_0947_zpsc80f7539.jpg

IMG_0979_zpsfd21cc9f.jpg

IMG_0981_zpsb82fb36d.jpg

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Had a buddy of mine who happens to be a glass guy install my front and rear windshields. Reused the original trim.

IMG_0928_zpse9260983.jpg

IMG_0927_zpsf464b0b5.jpg

Some people don't know it but the quarter glass in most pro street cars doesn't roll up or down because of the wheel tubs. I had to slightly modify the tracks, but they otherwise installed without trouble.

IMG_0945_zpsa083892f.jpg

IMG_0942_zps610a25ed.jpg

IMG_0944_zpsf47d1829.jpg

IMG_0946_zps09413602.jpg

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
I bought a B&M Pro Ratchet a couple months ago. I had to make some kind of switch panel to control lock up, overdrive and the trans brake. My first attempt didn't turn out so well, so this was my second attempt.

IMG_0966_zps7e52f4f5.jpg

IMG_0967_zpsc3052ad4.jpg

IMG_0968_zps33c92c76.jpg

IMG_0969_zps88ce970b.jpg

IMG_0970_zps6e5d6cfa.jpg

IMG_0971_zps86c8bc1b.jpg

IMG_0974_zpsac174a3f.jpg

Final shot done before I cut down the gauge panel. The red light is for the line lock so I know when the front tires are locked in the burn out box.

IMG_0975_zpsb7cef05a.jpg

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
I got the carpet mostly installed. Had to trim it around the roll cage, but I'm pretty happy with how it fits. Got the shifter and all that wiring buttoned up as well.

IMG_0993_zps4707e672.jpg

IMG_1003_zps58aa00c9.jpg

Also got the sending unit in the fuel cell wired up to my fuel gauge.

IMG_0996_zps1b049f7a.jpg

And wired up the Rally Sport reverse lights up to my shifter. This is the first time they've worked properly the whole time I've owned it.

IMG_0997_zpsee53d02d.jpg

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Had to modify the upper portion of the battery tray/clamp for the military spec battery cable terminals.

IMG_0995_zps0b428b12.jpg

Also bought PPE's digital to analog tach signal converter box a couple months ago. I finished wiring that up this evening.

IMG_0991_zpsb7cfbd0b.jpg

I decided that since I still had 4 gauges to mount, and not much interior space left without obstructing my view, I made good use of some of the cowl induction portion of my 4" hood.

IMG_0998_zpsf957fec1.jpg

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Got the correct adapter for the mechanical oil pressure gauge. Tapped into the port between the trans adapter and the oil filter.

1377568820_zpsb6abecdf.jpg

Bought the Dorman a/c bypass pulley. Paid less than $35 from napa.

1378678037_zpse62ba98b.jpg

Mounted the hood after installing the gauges. You can't tell which is which in the picture, but they are very easy to see when sitting inside the car.

1377568791_zps8e4643dd.jpg

1378678011_zpsb18572eb.jpg

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Got the driveshaft made at Santa Rosa Driveline Service. It fits perfect.

1378678076_zps08a59169.jpg

Rebuilt the rear brake calipers and finished the rear sway bar.

1378678115_zpscde673de.jpg

1378678098_zps19ef1418.jpg

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
That's it for now. I would have tried removing the glow plugs and cranking it but the battery was getting low and had to recharge it. I was also getting angry so it was best to walk away.

I will be calling PPE tomorrow and asking a few questions. I still hope it has to do with this VATS crap. We shall see...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I'm still chuckling about the stock AM radio. I remember those days. :roflmao:

Car looks great! I agree with the other guys that the no-start is in the tuning.

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
I'm still chuckling about the stock AM radio. I remember those days. :roflmao:

Car looks great! I agree with the other guys that the no-start is in the tuning.

The more I think about it the more I think you guys are right. I'm just new to the electronic tuning world, and sometimes it takes me a few tries of hands on trial and error to get the hang of it. I need to finish making my brake lines so when it does run I can drive it around our parking lot and stop it :rofl: Still need to buy pipe and hoses to get the rest if the plumbing done, then it will be road worthy.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'd recommend you give Russ at RPM Performance &/or Rob at ATP or Jeff Dean (stingpuller) or Ben @BT Dieselworks a call in addition to PPE. All have experience with lbz conversion vehicles & have a good understanding of the required tuning & potential hiccups.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
I feel your pain and wish I would have read this thread this morning before we left Fortuna. we took 101 all the way to santa rosa for the drive home, we could have probably stopped by and checked it out, maybe given you a hand in getting it running. I think your in that neck of the woods, right?

anyways, first...... you do not need the TCM at all. as long as the wiring is correct it will fire without communication with the TCM. I was told that several times when switching over to the LBZ and not true.

second, the VATS will be an issue but it should still allow it to fire and then die. ive ran into that issue with my LBZ, as the tuning I run is locked and a couple times it came not disabled and that's what it would do. fire, run for a few seconds..... maybe 2, then die. but it did run, not just crank.

third, it sounds like a fuel issue.......... only because of the fact that it will fire with the starting fluid then die. so, do you still have the stock filter head?? how about the fuel lines...... return lines.......lift pump..... all of that needs to be looked at. you said you have EFI live, use it if you do it will help figure stuff out. even while cranking.

give me a call and we can trouble shoot over the phone.

Rick 209-986-9706

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
anyways, first...... you do not need the TCM at all. as long as the wiring is correct it will fire without communication with the TCM. I was told that several times when switching over to the LBZ and not true

I'm not saying this to be combative, but I forgot to hook up my TCM once and the truck would not even engage the starter? Plugged it in and fired right up.
What are you saying, when you say that you don't need the TCM for the engine to fire? I don't get it? Explain how please...

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
never said you were being combative, just wanted to reassure him that it isn't necessary. I cant explain why or how it works, just know that when I start my chevelle.......... it doesn't have an issue without the TCM, as it has a glide in it. we ran it with 2 different harnesses. one with a TCM harness and one without the TCM harness. both work just fine without the TCM. there are codes, but none of those codes ever stopped it from starting. maybe issues with driving or 'dead peddle' but not starting.

just my 2 cents and experience.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Jason, difference is probably that Ricks tuning was made to not look for and/or ignore that no tcm was there whereas yours was "normal" & still looking it for it but not getting it & as you see, said no start for you.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think the no crank has more to do with wiring than tuning. The neutral safety switch runs through the TCM, so if it doesn't get a signal that the trans is in park or neutral, it won't turn over. It should still run if it actually turns over.

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Thanks for the compliment guys. I hope I get this resolved so I can get it on the road sooner than later...

I'd recommend you give Russ at RPM Performance &/or Rob at ATP or Jeff Dean (stingpuller) or Ben @BT Dieselworks a call in addition to PPE. All have experience with lbz conversion vehicles & have a good understanding of the required tuning & potential hiccups.

Thanks for the advice. I will call everybody I need to, god forbid :rofl: I will probably frustrate everybody with my stupid questions...

I feel your pain and wish I would have read this thread this morning before we left Fortuna. we took 101 all the way to santa rosa for the drive home, we could have probably stopped by and checked it out, maybe given you a hand in getting it running. I think your in that neck of the woods, right?

anyways, first...... you do not need the TCM at all. as long as the wiring is correct it will fire without communication with the TCM. I was told that several times when switching over to the LBZ and not true.

second, the VATS will be an issue but it should still allow it to fire and then die. ive ran into that issue with my LBZ, as the tuning I run is locked and a couple times it came not disabled and that's what it would do. fire, run for a few seconds..... maybe 2, then die. but it did run, not just crank.

third, it sounds like a fuel issue.......... only because of the fact that it will fire with the starting fluid then die. so, do you still have the stock filter head?? how about the fuel lines...... return lines.......lift pump..... all of that needs to be looked at. you said you have EFI live, use it if you do it will help figure stuff out. even while cranking.

give me a call and we can trouble shoot over the phone.

Rick 209-986-9706

Dang, that would have been awesome if you guys could have stopped by. Our shop is about ~15 minutes off of 101 in Santa Rosa. Would have been cool to finally meet you guys and check out your chevelle.

I still have the stock filter head (filter is destroyed), stock inlet and the remainder of the factory test port. Only lift pump I have is the quick fuel pump. And I do not have EFI live, only the PPE Hot +2 xcellerator that came with the standalone harness. A member on here who lives about 30-45 minutes from me offered to scan it with his EFI, and I might have to take him up on it if I can't resolve this in my own.

Thanks for the tips am offer Rick, I would like to troubleshoot it over the phone with you :thumb: