10 years in a Duramax

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
This week is Big Blue's 10th Birthday. I'd like to thank him.

In 2003 I started shopping for a tow vehicle to replace my beloved 96 Ford E-350 5.8L Club Wagon.

It got about 14 mpg highway and 7 towing, and didn't have the balls to tow heavy up a grade. But I really liked it. It was just long in the tooth.

I first started shopping for Ford Powerstroke 6.0's. After reading a lot of reviews and owner's experiences, I was a bit edgy. There was a claim that the rear main seal leaked, among other things. At the Ford dealer, there were 10 6.0L diesels. 5 showed signs of leakage.

I test drove one that didn't leak, and wasn't that impressed.

I heard GM was coming out with a New Duramax with more HP, the LLY. I test drove an LB7 and liked it more than the Ford. So I custom ordered a 3500 SRW, Crew Cab, Long Bed 4x4. I had the color matched to our Z06 Corvette.

The day it finally arrived, we went down as a family. The local Duramax Crew (Mike L., Steve Cole, Dmax Doug, Guy Tripp, etc, etc) were at a Dyno Day that day.

I hated to miss the dyno event, but... Big Blue was SO cool!! It was love at first sight. I had it a couple days, and Kathy wanted to drive it since it was raining that day. She called me at work and asked, "How do you put it in 4x4?". I said, "There is a button on the dash on the upper left ... WAIT A FOOKING MINUTE!!! WHY DO YOU NEED 4x4 IN MY NEW TRUCK!!!????". She had buried it up to the axles in our front lawn in the rain trying to take a short cut. The 4x4 pulled her out.

When it hit 502 miles, I took a buddy to go pick up a 2500 lb machine. We were in Southern California, and it was in Southern Florida. I was pulled over twice in West Texas for driving on the limiter (96mph). Trooper pulled me over, and I said "I just got this new diesel pickup! It is so smooth! It's like a Cadillac! It has so much power, it's hard to keep it under the speed limit!". He replies, "Yeah, I got a Dodge Cummins at home and I love it! You slow it down, and drive safe, yeah hear?". Got off with a warning. 90 minutes later, the same thing happened. "Yeah, I got a Ford Powerstroke at home and I love it. You slow down and drive safe, yeah hear?".

It hit New Orleans and many other stops on the way. It took 40 hours hot-seating it to make it to Florida, and the same the way back. It's been to Bowling Green with a 11.5' Lance camper towing a Vette, and to Colorado towing Casper, and many, many other long hauls.

It was one of the first LLY's to sled pull, to run a 13, and it was a blast.

I still have Blue, and he has never let me down. He's been to at least 20 states towing heavy, at drag events, and sled pulls. He's protected my kids and my wife when things got hairy.

I'm not a Camry guy. A vehicle is more to me than just a set of tires that go places. I get into a personal relationship with my cars and trucks. I hate to say it, but I LOVE Blue. He's been a damn good friend, and we've had some damn good times together. :hug:

Here's to another decade my Friend! :beer

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Blast from the past:woott:

Attachments

• 35001.jpg
    35001.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 3500vette.jpg
    3500vette.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00002 (5).JPG
    DSC00002 (5).JPG
    61 KB · Views: 182
  • McRatPull.JPG
    McRatPull.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 186
  • katbbs.JPG
    katbbs.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 164
  • alabama1.jpg
    alabama1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 175

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
ha ha ha The lawn :frog:

Not my fault his van was in the way :D

Attachments

• 3500lawn.jpg
    3500lawn.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 134

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That's awesome pat! Been in mine for almost 13 years now. Wow I can't believe she's that old now!

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Blast from the past:woott:

Ehhmmm still willing to take it off you hands:hug:. Beautiful truck and rare as can be single wheel one ton crew cab arrival blue. Awesomeness

Glad you all love him so much, he has a good home and honestly hope he stays there till he retires.

I get attached to my trucks too, my old ragged out lb7 was still my favorite over my lbz. It had been through so much with us and never failed, even with faulty injector installs and just bad injectors in general the truck never failed or quit pullin. Now she has rust in the rockers and cab corners injectors are toasted buttons have stopped working in the steering wheel, seats dont move and the drivers door may fall off any day now. Wind storm caught the door and pulled my sisters arm out of socket reversed the hinges but it still opens and shuts.

Through all that i still love her and will start rebuilding her when the weather improves

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Cool story. Thanks Kat & Pat. I thought I was just plain weird getting so attached to my truck... I can't see myself without it ever.

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
Nice story Pat. I remember seeing Blue up at LACR, Kat was running him. Made me line my 03' up that day and started my addiction.

Last edited: