06 lly knock at 1300-1700 rpm

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
If you have no ficm (fuel injection control module) on the passenger valve cover you have a detuned lbz and you must enter the flow rate (long number on injector) into the ecm to fully calibrate the injector and ecm. I don't know if efi or another scanner will do it, we use a tech 2 at work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Then you either got the wrong injector because you have a 2005, or it does not need programmed.

8th digit of the vin? 2 or d?

Kansas2500hd

Dec 15, 2013
Kansas
The story on my motor situation was that the original motor in the truck needed head gaskets and he was able to get a 06 lbz/lly motor for a good price with low miles so he did that and swapped them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
This isn't making sense to me. Is the truck an 05 or 06? I don't think you can just "swap" an 06 motor in place of an 05 without changing the wiring at the very least the ecm.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
An 06 engine isn't a direct swap into an 05. LLY or LBZ, which are actually identical. Do you have the tapshifter on the gear lever? if so its an 06.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
This isn't making sense to me. Is the truck an 05 or 06? I don't think you can just "swap" an 06 motor in place of an 05 without changing the wiring at the very least the ecm.

I am equally confused.

The injectors and heads have the step in them. So one won't fit but I can't remember how that works.

Black6spdZ

Aug 7, 2009
Sounds similar to a friends LB7 did.. Ended up being a wiped out rod bearing.. Did it just start? Dump your oil and filter it through a coffee filter.. If you see shiny flakes your SOL.. Time for a rebuild. Did you buy it like this?!?

Kansas2500hd

Dec 15, 2013
Kansas
Sorry for any confusion. I purchased the truck this way and have paperwork to prove the swap. I don't have the tapshifter on the handle. As far as I know, it also has the original tranny. The new injector I put in looked identical to the one I pulled. I bought a LBZ injector.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Than I am going to jump out there and say.........you need an lly injector if you have a ficm.
Could you post a pic of the new and old injector?

Kansas2500hd

Dec 15, 2013
Kansas
I sent the damn old injector back as a core. I didn't have a picture. It fit fine. Is there a way I can identify my motor easily?

Kansas2500hd

Dec 15, 2013
Kansas
The truck has been running and driving fine. Just the slight fuel knock sometimes above 2000 rpm.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
There is the vin number etched on the block and Trans we do in the plant. And rpo numbers on sticker On the block.

There is guys running the Lbz heads on Lly's and Lly's running Lbz heads. Pat posted werd fit on one just add bigger o ring.

armymedic1986

Feb 6, 2014
Fernley, NV
Hey guys I'm having a similar situation with my 04.5 LLY. I have a knock that starts @1700 rpm then goes away at about 2100. I just checked the balance rates for the injectors and they all look well within spec @ operating temp. Wondering what the situation is because I just had the local shop do a complete tune up and nothing reported on the engine. Today i just checked the wiring harness on the alternator bracket. The insulation was worn through so i wrapped it with electrical tape and re insulated them. I'm hoping this knock will clear up after I have a few tanks of additive through it, I just started using a quart of 2cycle oil with my fill ups as well as diesel kleen to maybe quiet her down or loosen something up. Ive read tons of reviews by guys saying two stroke works great for your fuel system because of the ULSD. Heres to hoping its something small. :confused:

Last edited: