06 lly knock at 1300-1700 rpm

Kansas2500hd

Dec 15, 2013
Kansas
He did a balance rate test and these are the results. He said he bets it needs a new #8 injector.
data9upe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
spec is 4-6mm nuetral/drive

so it may be out of spec.

Just drive it and make it knock, then shut down 8 if it goes away.
There is your answer

Chasobx

Mar 16, 2011
Take a look at the wiring harness that is run over your ALT. bracket. I have an 04 LLY that did the same thing the wire harness rubs on the bracket and grounds out.
Hope that helps

TexasRob

Dec 19, 2012
Canyon Lake Texas
Take a look at the wiring harness that is run over your ALT. bracket. I have an 04 LLY that did the same thing the wire harness rubs on the bracket and grounds out.
Hope that helps

x2 Had the same problem. Its really common on the LLY. Injector still may be bad but if you haven't insulated the wires it will eventually rub all the way through on the alternator bracket.

Kansas2500hd

Dec 15, 2013
Kansas
Okay so I put a new injector in today. Went to start the engine and it has a terribly loud knock now. It's throwing 2 codes which are P2149 and P0208. We broke the outside of the electrical connector when plugging it in, but the actual plug part still looks fine. Do I just need a new pigtail or is the new injector I got stuck open? Thanks a ton

Kansas2500hd

Dec 15, 2013
Kansas
I thought so at first, but when I unplug the connector and clear the codes it still knocks really loud. I called a local tech and he said that It really sounds like the injector is stuck open. I ordered it from Pensacola injection and he said he wouldn't ever deal with that company. So I have a feeling they sent me a crap injector. Luckily it has a 1 year warranty and I should be able to get my money back as long as it's not the connector issue.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Keep in mind that a high balance rate can also indicate other problems, the high number could mean the injector is trying to compensate for low compression in a cylinder. Are you getting any blowby if you remove the oil filler cap? Take a piece of small rubber hose and try listening for crankcase noise inside the oil fill tube while it's running.

Kansas2500hd

Dec 15, 2013
Kansas
I'll try to after I get the injector to quit knocking. There's no way I could hear with the way it is right bow

Kansas2500hd

Dec 15, 2013
Kansas
Okay, so I finally got the new pigtail installed tonight. Started up and it had a knock but it went away after like 20 seconds. I took it for a drive and ran really nice with no codes. Only thing is, I still can hear a very small fuel knock. Or what I believe is one. I'll run balance rates soon and see what happens.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Sometimes after a repair you just get a bit over sensitive.
As in the knock you now hear is just kinda normal noises.
Get a buddy that's into trucks to listen to it.

Kansas2500hd

Dec 15, 2013
Kansas
I just talked to the company I bought the injector from. He said the reason it's knocking is because I need to enter the new ECM code. I did get one in the box, but my local tech said not to worry about entering it. How and with what do I enter it? Thanks guys

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
Kinda have something similar. But when I opened the engine last month, saw really light white on 2 pistons. I might have 2 leaky injector. Lots of Kms, oem injectors

I'll probably replace those 2 this summer, and report about it