Zf6 to allison swap?

ChevyCowboy

Feb 12, 2013
Well I got an 01 lb7 rcsb zf6 silverado, love the truck, the manual is fun in such a torqy short truck but I think for what I do Id be better suited for a automatic.

So I did some searching but all I find is auto to zf6 swap info, not the other way around, anyone done a zf6 to allison 5 or 6 speed before?

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
you might be able to find someone to trade parts or entire trucks with. i see a lot of guys wanting the zf that cant find them. honestly, i think it would be easiest to try and find someone who will trade trucks. you can probably get a pretty good upgrade if you find the right person.

bturner

Apr 28, 2013
Illinois
Probably not gonna find to much info. Might be able to sell your truck and upgrade. A zf will sell for top dollar to the right guy

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
I just got done doing a zf to Allison swap. It's not to bad. Make sure you get all the little stuff you need though. Trans lines and cooler, radiator, steering column, shift cable, flex plate just to name some. Also the harness and Tcm. The harness that you need goes from the fuse block to ECM to Tcm to transmission.

ChevyCowboy

Feb 12, 2013
trading trucks isn't really an option unless its newer truck then what I got, I completely rebuilt this truck and made it into a regular cab short box, I can get a Allison trans from an 08 locally for about 800 bucks. Might just start piecing together the parts slipclutchms listed

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
Your not gonna want that 08..... You need a 5 speed my friend. And you want 01/02 harness.... Also the trans lines changed in 03 I think so something to be aware of. Easiest thing would be to get everything from a 01/02 donor truck.

ChevyCowboy

Feb 12, 2013
I know a 5 speed Allison from a 01-02 would be easiest, I know the wiring and everything changed in 03 and probably again in 07.5 but how hard would that 2008 tranny be to use? I think I could get it dirt cheap. But Ill see if I can find an 01-02, not really set on doing the swap, just thinking about it.

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Extremely difficult. Nothing will communicate and would cost lots of money to make it remotely possible.

Edit: Forgot to quote, the above is in reference to the 08 tranny, not the general idea of swapping in an allison.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Not really lol. But I think I know someone who can machine an adapter plate for it. If I do it it will be simple as I can do it. Like I'd just leave the column and dash alone.

Jpbrienp

Feb 6, 2013
NC
When I was having trouble finding a zf6 I looked into an nv4500. I was told that the size of the clutch you could fit would be limited because of the bell housing. Unfortunately I've never done it or seen it done so I'm just passing along what I was told.