zf6, old vs new

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
okay guys I made a video a while back of me shifting my truck. I have made a few improvements and would like to share especially cuz it was an easy mod that was free for us zf guys.

I deleted the rubber bushing inside of the shifter at the bottom. welded the insert solid to the shifter rod. leaned it back and cut one and a half inches off the bottom. you can feel the gates and gears way better if you can deal with a little rattle. it shortened the throw just shortening the shifter. im putting up two videos the first one is stock. watch how far the throw is and how tall the shifter is. and how close it is to the dash.

the second video the mods were done, watch how short the throws are and short the shifter is in comparison. the shifter doesn't hit the dash anymore. you can bang fourth with confidence without smashing you fingers. I am still gonna lean it back slightly more I think. still closer than I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXsur5btDuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-9KMokpzu4

bturner

Apr 28, 2013
Illinois
Just how loud is the rattle? Does it only do it at higher rpm's? I was thinking about cutting my shifter down a little and putting a slight bend it it.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Just how loud is the rattle? Does it only do it at higher rpm's? I was thinking about cutting my shifter down a little and putting a slight bend it it.

no where near as loud as the dual disc if you have one. basically all the noises you barely hear in your tranny you don't barely hear anymore. only gets an actual rattle at specific rpm's. or under certain loads. its not that bad though. can hold a conversation and at cruising speeds it doesn't do it. in fifth mostly it seems. ill make a video of normal cruising and see how it turns out. the shifts are so crisp and you can feel everything going on when you take that rubber out of the shifter. its like removing a blindfold. makes it more fun to drive. imo.

by the way how do you like that big turbo on that manual truck?

bturner

Apr 28, 2013
Illinois
Truck runs great with the big turbo. But watching you run yours I guess I just baby mine to much. I rarely see over 2500 rpm's. turbo lights about 1800rpms and will just blow the tires off. I may take that rubber out of mine and see how I like it. I am considering losing the big turbo as well do to face that it doesn't like pulling my corn head very well. I had to break out the lml today and it handled it much better.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I bet I seen your truck on craigslist. im in stl. I would love basically your truck. had a zf reg cab and got rear ended in it. it broke loose a lot and it was stock basically. crew cabs got a lot more weight on the ass. I want a dedicated strip truck to run on the street now and then and I want a reg cab lly with a big single. and of course a zf. look at all my other videos I got on there I got a few more drag videos to upload to. let me know if you get rid of the turbo im doing my heads this winter and might want something to drop on it. im at a 13.4 how it sits ran that at gateway in Illinois last Friday.

bturner

Apr 28, 2013
Illinois
Well make me an offer. I'm getting rid of it for a little more stock crew cab. The old lady can't drive it so its gotta go.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
id trade ya but I got a baby to haul around. and yours is probably out of my price range lol. maybe if you still have it a long time from now. what are you wanting out of it?

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
If you delete the rubber you can weld the insert in in an angle. That will lean it back without having to bend the shifter. Its hollow I dont think it will bend very good it might kink.