Yup Still Hate UPS

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
To ship my nozzles down to Kennametal, Canada Post/USPS, was there in 4 days, $21 CDN (under $17 US).

Kennametal shipped them back UPS even though I requested USPS or Fedex (whatever), already been a week and they still won't be delivered until next tuesday even though they are at the border right now, and they want $85 US (over $106 CDN) for brokerage and shipping.

WTF is that? 2 weeks for 5 times the price? :mad: FN same old crooks. I'll tell ya what brown can go do for me.........

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I always use USPS when possible and then Purolator or Fedex through my buddies Ag dealer as they get excellent rates. He is on holidays right now so couldn't get ahold of him to use his UPS brokerage number. BS.
My wife ordered some wedding favor jars that were about $55 US. They got shipped UPS and it cost her $30 just in brokerage.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
I'm pretty pissed with them aswell. Had 2 fittings delivered a couple weeks ago, delivered in an envelope, worth less than $15. Fittings were just left at my door, didn't sign or anything. Week later I get a bill in the mail from them for $50 and they've got the weight recorded as 21 lbs. Not sure if somebody forgot a decimal or what but that's ridiculous.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Would be a different story if this was only the first time but it's EVERY time I get stuff cross border shipped with UPS.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Would be a different story if this was only the first time but it's EVERY time I get stuff cross border shipped with UPS.

X2

The worst part is there's nothing you can do. I've tried calling them and disputing charges and they basically tell me tough shit. I've had it happen on multiple occasions where the shipper has included the shipping cost in the declared value and it just adds more to the charges for me.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
We Really need to find a way to get our stuff across .I have my stage 2 heads and a box of parts in CT and am scared to even get a shipping quote because the brokerage fees.We should pool our resources and find a reliable/affordable means to this shipping nightmare.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
At least with Fedex, all fees are included up front with the shipping price which is why out the door they look more expensive. UPS you never know until it gets to the border or sometimes like they did to my wife you get a bill in the mail later on.

Big part of the reason I will be driving down to Billings to get my engine and all the other parts I have there. Shipping would be more than some of them are worth. Also the reason a lot of guys drop ship at the border and drive across. Free shipping within the lower 48 is handy for that!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I had a residential customer receive a part for his wood stove from Canada that had $35 in fees due. The part was $12. I was shocked myself.
Yeah, if you are an individual shipping back and forth outside the USA, use another shipper than us. Sorry to hear.

I also helped with a pickup yesterday at a huge print facility here in Lansing. They do flower labels and such. Picked up 260 pieces just going to Canada and PR. That one pickup basically paid my wages for the next few months. This time of year, they ship like that every day.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I know this is a "Canada" thread:D, but I hate fedex for, lower 48, stuff. Ups has always done me well.

95 z71

SUDDEN IMPACT
Aug 11, 2009
Cavan, Ontario
At least with Fedex, all fees are included up front with the shipping price which is why out the door they look more expensive. UPS you never know until it gets to the border or sometimes like they did to my wife you get a bill in the mail later on.

Big part of the reason I will be driving down to Billings to get my engine and all the other parts I have there. Shipping would be more than some of them are worth. Also the reason a lot of guys drop ship at the border and drive across. Free shipping within the lower 48 is handy for that!

I had a part delivered by fedex in december and received a bill about 2 weeks later with extra charges for duty and brokerage fees.
In my area ups will not leave a package unless all fees are paid in full.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
I had a part delivered by fedex in december and received a bill about 2 weeks later with extra charges for duty and brokerage fees.
Thats funny,I got one of those letters yesterday from ups and I have no idea what order its for or how much just that I owe them.UPS are scam artists with a title.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

Weird. I have never ran into this with Fedex.
UPS told me I had to pay at the door when the guy showed up. Not sure what I do if I am not going to be home and they can't give me a delivery time only a day.

95 z71

SUDDEN IMPACT
Aug 11, 2009
Cavan, Ontario
UPS told me I had to pay at the door when the guy showed up. Not sure what I do if I am not going to be home and they can't give me a delivery time only a day.

You can call ups once it clears customs and pay the fees with a credit card.
Then make arrangements for the driver to leave the package with your permission if you will not be home.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Or they will attempt to deliver 2 more times and if you're not home they hold it at the local facility for pick up.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

Check taped to door, made out to UPS for the amount written on the delivery notice. Make sure to sign the back of the note, just in case the pkg needs a signature. Driver will then leave pkg.

Notice Im not defending the company on this one? I, too think brokerage fees are a ripoff.