Y Bridge?

stibuilder

Oct 17, 2016
Snoqualmie, WA
I see a lot of talk about Y Bridges and wonder if they are usefull for stock turbo trucks, or mildly modified ones. Just thinking about things to do to my LBZ Kodiak.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
subd for info! I make 45psi and strapped mine after I blew it out. At what point is it truly beneficial to upgrade?

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
subd for info! I make 45psi and strapped mine after I blew it out. At what point is it truly beneficial to upgrade?

If you're making 45 psi and the stocker blew out then you would most likely benefit from an aftermarket Y birdge.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
what will it give me though? I'm satisfied with my current level of power, but if it lowers boost or egt's in a meaningful way, I'd consider it. I 636 on Mark's dyno last winter at 43 lbs of boost and fuel was the limiting factor. On the street I hit 45psi. No complaints at all currently! I often see these threads, but don't know what to really expect except a lighter wallet :)

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Here is a comparison of the 2 in the link below, it's going to make some difference in the way the system flows. Me, I would not just do the EGR pipe when the stock Y-bridge does not flow very well. This and a good set of uppipes will make the truck breath much better, kinda like installing an aluminum intake on a stock gasser....:thumb:

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47987

Last edited:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
again, very pretty and sure it flows a lot... but when is it going to make a real difference is the unanswered question. I've seen guys with uppipes and y bridges making less power than my little daily, and I'm doing just fine on the stock setup - (egr deleted, and I cut/welded the uppipe). It's along the lines of wondering how many guys at 500hp are needlessly running aftermarket intakes, for example. It's better for sure, but at what point is it truly needed.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I'm running a profab strap around my factory bridge and s profab delete pipe with tow flows. Haven't had any issues at 38+ psi. I've been pondering a 3" y bridge setup but also wasn't sure if I would gain anything besides looks.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
There seems to be a little to gain up in the upper RPM. When I had mine on the stock LLY I raised my shift points a couple hundred RPM IIRC and it really came alive.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Rick - other than power gains, are there any other benefits for either a stock charger, or someone that has purposely limited their hp for longevity (on a stock bottom end)?

Thanks for proving some answers! Most of these threads die off without really getting an answer.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Well my stock bridge blew out twice, once with a strap, that's why I upgraded even though I have a stock turbo/transmission.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I saw no MPG increase, only a power increase. Turbo seemed to respond a little quicker. I towed heavy with it that way too.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Well my stock bridge blew out twice, once with a strap, that's why I upgraded even though I have a stock turbo/transmission.

I put on the strap and also put on a large hose clamp; belt and suspendered. Lol. Absolutely no repeat blowouts.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
How much upper rpm power increase are we talking rick? Enough for a couple mph on trap speed in the 1/4?

I never did before and after on just it. Lot's of changes but the truck ran extremely well when we were done.