Won't start after alternate fire cam

boosted4life

Apr 11, 2012
No, the cam reluctor wheels are the same across the board till the end of the LMM (far as i know, LMLs may still be the same but have not seen one personally to know).

only the crank reluctor wheel differs

I will check all of those things. So I looked up the part number for the cam reluctor wheel and it is a different part number for Lb7 and lbz but it appears that one has an extra tooth on it and the other is smooth. Not sure if that affects anything

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I will check all of those things. So I looked up the part number for the cam reluctor wheel and it is a different part number for Lb7 and lbz but it appears that one has an extra tooth on it and the other is smooth. Not sure if that affects anything

are you 100% it isnt the crank reluctor you looked up?

EDIT: see pics. gold is LB7-LLY, silver on engine is LBZ-LMM. no difference

Attachments

• lmm cam.jpg
    lmm cam.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 52
  • lb7 cam.jpg
    lb7 cam.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Frankin_truck

Nov 22, 2013
Just a idea but did you trying switching the cam and crank sensor? They are will fit in either spot and it won't run or will hard start had this happen long time ago can't remember the exact symptoms. This would throw codes for cam position sensor.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
An LBZ will not run with and LB7 crank reluctor wheel. An LBZ wheel will need to be installed or add a tooth to the LB7 one.........

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
Sounds like you need to figure out what you actually have in the truck first. If sensors are swapped, wrong reluctor wheel or loose connections will cause this.

boosted4life

Apr 11, 2012
The truck has an LML crank and reluctor wheel which is the same as the Lbz. It has the lb7 one piece timing gear. My understanding is that all of those parts should work in an lbz

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Longest Sensor plug (last on the harness) is going to the cam correct? And you have cleaned the block to bare metal where the ground goes (ground wire next to cam/crank sensors)? Ohm the wires at the plug back to the bale connector, and then to the fuse box (while bale connector connected), I've had a bad connection at the bale connector do the same.

boosted4life

Apr 11, 2012
Put new cam and crank sensors in, checked all wiring all the way to the ecm, and checked all grounds for good connection. Still getting cam sensor performance code. Engine starts but dies immediately. With scan tool on, it misses 30 or so cam signal references while cranking.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Put new cam and crank sensors in, checked all wiring all the way to the ecm, and checked all grounds for good connection. Still getting cam sensor performance code. Engine starts but dies immediately. With scan tool on, it misses 30 or so cam signal references while cranking.

time to pull the front cover and see if they left it loose or something else. you ohmed all the wires to the cam sensor correct?