will an lbz fpr help me very much?

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
alright guys, I have recently installed my Danville 68 4094 and wherli bridge. I still have the stock pump and injectors, and I am needing some more fuel. how much would an lbz regulator help me if at all? I am asking because i fall under the turbo really bad at the end of the track, and i would like to get a little more fuel to this thing before the end of the season without buying a pump and injectors since ive already put around 7k in my truck already this year. any advice would be great.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I can only assume You got a lift pump, right?

How about the PPE hi-flow CP3 kit? Which is just a bigger hose from the stock fuel filter to the CP3 and a bigger CP3 inlet nipple.

And what about a ported drivers side fuel rail fitting?

I'm not sure, but I think the LLY FPR is set at 24,500 and the LBZ is set to 26,000psi, so you do have a good chance of gaining a little at the end of the track like you're hoping to

I think it's worth a shot, the CP3 kit is like $45 (iirc) and the LBZ FPR can't be all that expensive...you can port your own rail, or, I have a PPE one I'd sell ya for cheap

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
I don't think im dropping rail I think im just falling under the turbo because I do not have the fuel to support it. and yes, I have a lift pump, ported rail fitting, rail is plugged, factory filter head is blocked off. I didn't figure the hi flow cp3 kit would help me much, I figured I need more fuel on the high pressure side.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
You need to log rail pressure to see what's happening and you may need a bigger pulse but you also might be on the verge of bending a rod. Food for thought.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
Get a race plug before an lbz valve. Don't waste your money on a feed line especially from PPE. Many guys have made big power on original lines.

L0B6Z

Oct 19, 2013
oxford ny
what rpms are you running at the end of the track? I run 4300 and my rail drops above 3600 and with ported fittings it goes to 22000 psi.. So I have a hard time staying on top also. Food for thought. When I had stock fitttings I could hold rail better and stay on top of turbo. Just my experience. I'm upgrading to a better cp3

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
i have a plug in the rail. im sure im dropping rail because my rpms are being dragged down. i never lost power at the end of the track last year and the only thing i changed for power this year is the turbo bridge and tuning. i do however like the fact that it is a super clean burner this year with way more power. i guess what i am wanting to know is will running a little higher rail possibly help me? this yeat i am running about 4300 or so until the end of the track i get dragged down, power out, and kill the engine. i am looking into 60 over injectors for next year so i would probably have to get a pump anyways. you guys think a sportsman pump would be good enough? dont really want to shell out 2k for a pump

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
i have a plug in the rail. im sure im dropping rail because my rpms are being dragged down. i never lost power at the end of the track last year and the only thing i changed for power this year is the turbo bridge and tuning. i do however like the fact that it is a super clean burner this year with way more power. i guess what i am wanting to know is will running a little higher rail possibly help me? this yeat i am running about 4300 or so until the end of the track i get dragged down, power out, and kill the engine. i am looking into 60 over injectors for next year so i would probably have to get a pump anyways. you guys think a sportsman pump would be good enough? dont really want to shell out 2k for a pump

I picked up 1k in rail just by changing to an LBZ FPR. this was on a 3200pw tune and was commanding 24.5kpsi with actual of 22kpsi. After the LBZ fpr it was commanding the same 24.5k but the actual would hold steady at 23kpsi.

What is your rail set at in your tunes?

Now I run all my DD tunes at just above stock rail pressure, but max out the rail on my two race tunes. Since the LLY rail pressure sensor wont read above 180mpa (26,100 kpsi), the fpr will go wide open and make as much as possible. Dangerous to do on lower pulse tunes since the CP3 is capable of making serious pressure, which can crack injector bodies, but on the big tunes the rail gets pulled down enough to keep it from going crazy. My 2975pw tune that runs 12.0 flatlines the rail sensor at 26k, who knows what it is actually making for pressure.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I can only assume You got a lift pump, right?

How about the PPE hi-flow CP3 kit? Which is just a bigger hose from the stock fuel filter to the CP3 and a bigger CP3 inlet nipple.

And what about a ported drivers side fuel rail fitting?

I'm not sure, but I think the LLY FPR is set at 24,500 and the LBZ is set to 26,000psi, so you do have a good chance of gaining a little at the end of the track like you're hoping to

I think it's worth a shot, the CP3 kit is like $45 (iirc) and the LBZ FPR can't be all that expensive...you can port your own rail, or, I have a PPE one I'd sell ya for cheap

Lb7/lly run 23000 psi. If you are already dropping below 23,000 psi then an lbz FPR won't gain you anything.

Get a race plug before an lbz valve. Don't waste your money on a feed line especially from PPE. Many guys have made big power on original lines.

He's asking about an FPR (fuel pressure regulator), not an FPRV (fuel pressure relief valve). That said, the LBZ regulator does flow a little more than an LLY regulator, but if you aren't losing rail, the regulator won't help. You should also bump the pulse width and/or rail pressure up some if it's holding right on desired rail pressure.

L0B6Z

Oct 19, 2013
oxford ny
I believe yr truck is stalling out because yr converter is staying locked. If you bump yr shifter up at the end of the pull it'll go to neutral and no higher. This will prevent turbo bark and converter lockup.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
He's asking about an FPR (fuel pressure regulator), not an FPRV (fuel pressure relief valve). That said, the LBZ regulator does flow a little more than an LLY regulator, but if you aren't losing rail, the regulator won't help. You should also bump the pulse width and/or rail pressure up some if it's holding right on desired rail pressure.

Oh wow. Was way off base. Yes a lbz regulator will flow more.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I believe yr truck is stalling out because yr converter is staying locked. If you bump yr shifter up at the end of the pull it'll go to neutral and no higher. This will prevent turbo bark and converter lockup.

No idea where you came up with this at, but he is running a zf6 I believe.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Not to metion, if he's only commanding 23k, he could bump it to 26k and see how she likes it. I've seen a couple trucks gain 1-2k just by changing commanded to be higher.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il

yes, this is exactly what I am asking. i am definitely in need of more fuel, i guess i should have logged a couple pulls before i asked. i wished i had the time, knowledge, and patience to tune my own truck but unfortunately i have no time, im not all that bright, and if my dog takes more than 2 minutes to poop when i take him out im pissed. i know its a bad way to judge it, but i produce zero smoke going down the track. i know that may not mean anything but i still judge things like that the old school way sometimes. i have heard of people saying that an lbz regulator has helped them get more fuel so that's why i asked the professionals here before i dropped a bunch of money in a regulator and a tuning recal.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il

well this statement is halfway correct. theres stuff in there that's for sure locked up but it aint no converter. and i believe it is stalling because i cant stay on top of the turbo, which leads me to believe i need more fuel because i know plenty of guys running this charger that can stay on top of it.

L0B6Z

Oct 19, 2013
oxford ny
yeah sorry about the whole auto/stix mix up. I had problems with my converter staying locked and few of other friends with duramax's and we found out its because of the converter staying locked.