Will a 7k 4 post lift be enough??

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
My father has a 4 post 7k capacity lift for sale and its priced right (for me;)) Anyways its only a year old and he only used it so he could get another car in his garage. I planned on driving down to WV for thanksgiving and I figured I would bring the trailer with me if a 7k lift will be enough for my CC truck????? Anyone else have one or know for sure if it will or will not work safely??

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
your truck is right at 7k as it sits, but i would be kinda leary about it. I like to have minimum of 2k difference from truck weight to max lift weight. JMO.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Guys, if it's a Chinese lift (most are), I wouldn't feel safe. I had a Chinese 2-post that was 11,000lb, and it was a bit flimsy with 6500lb on it IMO. Now some of the American lifts are actually very robust even at 7000lb.

I have a 4 post Chinese one now that claims to be 9000lb. Casper actually bends the ramps.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
7k lift with a crew cab dmax...definitely not. I wouldnt do it.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Direct-Lift-Pro-9F-p/tppro-9fp.htm

Here is the lift I have...all lifts are made overseas, BUT mine is made in a USA-owned and operated factory (Dover, they make elevators, own Rotary, etc...there is a BIG difference between a lift from a chinese run factory and a US-owned/operated/quality control inspected factory). Its a 9,000lb lift, and it looks way more substantial than any of the 11,000lb generic chinese lifts ive seen. I can rock my truck back and forth/up and down when its on the lift, and the lift columns/arms are rock solid...

You get what you pay for. How much is your life worth to you?

ben

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
As has been said if it is Chinese I wouldn't trust it with my life. I paid over double the cost of a Chinese lift to get a Forward and am very glad I did. I went with the 10,000 lb DP10S with a 2 ft height extension and high lift cylinders. Rotary and Forward are the two best lifts IMO and are ALI (American Lift Institute) and ETL certified to ANSI specs. They are very underrated from what they are tested to. They also have much better parts and service warranties, and a rep will come out and fix it. If it was a 7,000 lb lift from one of those 2 companies and your truck was absolutely the heaviest thing you would ever lift then maybe - but if either of those is not true then I wouldn't consider it.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
7k lift with a crew cab dmax...definitely not. I wouldnt do it.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Direct-Lift-Pro-9F-p/tppro-9fp.htm

Here is the lift I have...all lifts are made overseas, BUT mine is made in a USA-owned and operated factory (Dover, they make elevators, own Rotary, etc...there is a BIG difference between a lift from a chinese run factory and a US-owned/operated/quality control inspected factory). Its a 9,000lb lift, and it looks way more substantial than any of the 11,000lb generic chinese lifts ive seen. I can rock my truck back and forth/up and down when its on the lift, and the lift columns/arms are rock solid...

You get what you pay for. How much is your life worth to you?

ben
So this lift works well, I was trying to decide between it and a Bendpak. Looks like its a good deal for the money.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I use a Whip Industries Lift , 10K version and I love it , have lifted alot of Dmaxes with it and it never skips a beat !

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
So this lift works well, I was trying to decide between it and a Bendpak. Looks like its a good deal for the money.

its awesome...and like I said SOLID.

the columns dont move ONE BIT out of plumb/level even with a crew cab dually dmax lifted up to the top.

5 year warranty, built by an american owned/quality-controlled factory, american designed etc, its 9,000lb, and is way more solid than 12,000lb chinese lifts Ive seen, I know I said before tho.

The guys at greg smith are awesome too, they stock all the parts, have tech support guys that know their shit, and delivered it in like 2 days.

install was pretty easy, my dad and I did it on a sunday afternoon, used the front end loader on our tractor to help stand the columns up.

ben

Last edited:

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
its awesome...and like I said SOLID.

the columns dont move ONE BIT out of plumb/level even with a crew cab dually dmax lifted up to the top.

5 year warranty, built by an american owned/quality-controlled factory, american designed etc, its 9,000lb, and is way more solid than 12,000lb chinese lifts Ive seen, I know I said before tho.

The guys at greg smith are awesome too, they stock all the parts, have tech support guys that know their shit, and delivered it in like 2 days.

install was pretty easy, my dad and I did it on a sunday afternoon, used the front end loader on our tractor to help stand the columns up.

ben

The distributor is 15 min ffrom my house but it looks like I will have to drive 2 hours into Ny to save almost $900. Kind of erks me why everything has to be so much more expensive here. Thanks you pretty much sold me on it. Just debating if I should get the 14k one though.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I dont really have any good pics of mine installed...but heres some

IMG_7563Custom.jpg

IMG_7765Custom.jpg

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The distributor is 15 min ffrom my house but it looks like I will have to drive 2 hours into Ny to save almost $900. Kind of erks me why everything has to be so much more expensive here. Thanks you pretty much sold me on it. Just debating if I should get the 14k one though.

how tall is your ceiling? Mine was just barely too short for an overhead lift, so I had to get the base plate lift. Its not a big deal tho, it doesnt bother me at all, no issues with tranny jacks or anything.

Whats the biggest vehicle you are going to lift? The heaviest Ive put on mine is a full weight cc/lb dually dmax and like I said, putting a level on the columns, they didnt budge at all.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
how tall is your ceiling? Mine was just barely too short for an overhead lift, so I had to get the base plate lift. Its not a big deal tho, it doesnt bother me at all, no issues with tranny jacks or anything.

Whats the biggest vehicle you are going to lift? The heaviest Ive put on mine is a full weight cc/lb dually dmax and like I said, putting a level on the columns, they didnt budge at all.

I think I should have specified I'm going with a 4 post lift. We service alot of vehicles, mostly trucks and I think a 4 post would be better for me. I know a 2 post is better for doing alot of engine and front end work but I think a 4 post suits me better. The biggest Vehicle will be a dually cab and chassis with a salter on it. Damn you now I'm thinking of a 2 post lift after seeing your pics.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I wouldn't use it. I use 6 ton jack stands... When it comes to crawling under something that heavy, I will use nothing less than overkill. Too much risk if you ask me

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I think I should have specified I'm going with a 4 post lift. We service alot of vehicles, mostly trucks and I think a 4 post would be better for me. I know a 2 post is better for doing alot of engine and front end work but I think a 4 post suits me better. The biggest Vehicle will be a dually cab and chassis with a salter on it. Damn you now I'm thinking of a 2 post lift after seeing your pics.

I would definitely go 2 post in a second!! 4 post lifts take up more floor space, and are a big PITA to do suspension/brake/wheel work with etc...

2-post lifts are also nice if you want to "kneel" the truck down on the ground for easier access to the engine bay etc..

attachment.php

Just my opinion though.

ben

Last edited: