Why so hot

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Sounds like it!! But just cause you got the exhaust got enough to glow don't mean it's gonna end in catastrophic failure. People see that hot all the time for probably the same amount of time in the pulling world

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
At the rpm you are turning, its letting fresh charged air in very frequently. At that pyro temp, but lower rpms, I think the risk would be higher.
We are struggling with same problem. Truck runs same peak egt's no matter the a/r, nozzle size, pulse width, I/c pumps, etc. The only thing we have not changed is camshaft or heads. Already have big cam and maxed out heads, so not really wanting to experiment there. Not much help here though, cuz we are still serveral hundred degrees cooler than you:eek:

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
You might think I am crazy, but I swear my EGTs are cooler with the converter locked up. I think it might be a wasted energy deal. What do EGTs get to if you go from a converter locked 2nd gear roll?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
For instance, I tried a different tune that I normally "DD" on for the street, I do not run my race tune on the street, no point.

It was 1850Us on 100% injectors. My race tune for 100% sticks was 2600.

Street tune will get to 1400 and level off, race tune will haul ass until the gauge stops.... around 2000* . :confused:

Maybe I need more stages of nitrous :roflmao:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
FWIW, I am driving the truck to Las Vegas this weekend, lots of elevation changes, so will get some good information on EGT's.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I highly doubt changing the exhaust will help much if any. Have you tried different gauges? Do egts climb fast and then stay steady or slowly climb to their peak at say the end of a quarter run? Any idea what your intake temps are?

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I highly doubt changing the exhaust will help much if any. Have you tried different gauges? Do egts climb fast and then stay steady or slowly climb to their peak at say the end of a quarter run? Any idea what your intake temps are?

I do as well. I tried the CTS when I had it, but after going through 5 different egt probes due to Edge's junk development, I didn't get a solid readings. They climb steady. The only intake temps I know of are based on the MAF, which is irrelevant

Wrap time?

;)

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
I do as well. I tried the CTS when I had it, but after going through 5 different egt probes due to Edge's junk development, I didn't get a solid readings. They climb steady. The only intake temps I know of are based on the MAF, which is irrelevant

;)

The only thing I'm thinking is if your intake temps are high it could cause your egts to be high also. This might be were a good aftermarket intercooler could help. Just a thought.