Why Edge reports 22lbs of boost at WOT?

tmartin000

Feb 2, 2009
Why Edge reports 22lbs of boost at WOT?

Pretty straightforward question....My 07 Classic LBZ only report 22lbs of boost at WOT.....Any idea why I'm not getting 30 or so?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
because thats all the stock sensor will read. you need a actual boost gauge plumbed in or wire in a new/different sensor and rescale with EFI Live to see more.

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
On an LBZ, you should be seeing more than 22lbs. 01-05 sensors read to 22lbs. 06 and newer read into the 30's

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
On an LBZ, you should be seeing more than 22lbs. 01-05 sensors read to 22lbs. 06 and newer read into the 30's

I have the same issue with my '05. It only reads 22 lbs of boost. Can I fix that by just swapping in an '06-'07 or later boost sensor? Or is there a compatibility issue?

Verlon at ATP

Mar 19, 2015
I have the same issue with my '05. It only reads 22 lbs of boost. Can I fix that by just swapping in an '06-'07 or later boost sensor? Or is there a compatibility issue?

It would have to be rescaled in the tuning for it to work properly.

Griz

Oct 20, 2015
Your moms basement
My insight reads 22psi, witch when you the math ads up to 2.5 BAR absolute( the spec of the stock MAP SENSOR)... This made me wonder... Theres no way my truck only makes 22psi with the gt4094. So i hooked up the analog guage that has been siting dormant since i bought the truck, and much to my supprise the hairdryer blows a healthy 44PSIG. So the gears start turning in my head.. What tuneability can be gained by chainging the stock sensor out for say a 7 bar map sensor( yes i know overkill, but leaves room for future meegaboost) it seems like a pretty straight foreward install, especialy if you get a threaded one that you could just tap into the y bridge, egr crossover, or idealy the 3" pusher ybridge/ cold side tube with 1/8 npt bungs;). The sensors usualy have a linear scale, but then theres the vodo of ajusting the tuning to match said sensor( witch i haven the slightes idea where to start with that, my V2 hasnt worked since i bought the truck) could anyone elaborate on the aspect of rescaling in EFI, and any other aspects of the tune that should be adressed when you ajust for a wider reading MAP sensor.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Not sure I totally understand your question and Im not tryin to be a smart azz...

I don't believe any tunability would be "gained" by swapping the pressure sensor out so the edge reads total boost accurately. I bet the tune was calibrated using a sensor that reads higher pressure. I don't think the boost pressure is all that important of a parameter either, I think MAF/MAP trumps boost pressure when it comes down to calibrating the tuning???

The 22psi the edge reports is just the limit of what the sensor can see, the tune doesn't stop regulating/changing fueling tables at 22psi where the edge/sensor stops reading and I'm sure the R&D for the tune wasnt done and calibrated with the stock sensor limiting data at 22psi...

I dunno squat, tho :eek:
That's why I trust our reputable tuning vendors...
Right!?!

Last edited:

Griz

Oct 20, 2015
Your moms basement
Its ok i am well versed in smart azz

Ok a couple things stood out to me in your reply, 1. The edge is a slave, it only shows what it reads, i dont want to swap the map sensor so it can read "boost" acurately. I was thinking along the lines of swaping out the map sensor so the ECU can read the "manifold absolute pressure" acurately.
2. Boost pressure? Then maf/map pressure? Not trying to be a smart azz but boost pressure + 14.7=MAP
Like manny things we change on our trucks, some limiting factors get over looked, if the map pressure isint all that importantthen why is the sensor there in the first place? So o offer a simple annology
Knowlege is power, if the ecu has more accurate knowledge, mabey it can make more power,
When it comes to tuning a specific truck with specific mods verry accurate data logging could point out more specific changes that could be made.

I dont claim to know squat either , but im not one to easily give in to a lack of knowing.

....music.... Rainbow shooting star.... The more you know.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Its ok i am well versed in smart azz
that's good ;)
Ok a couple things stood out to me in your reply, 1. The edge is a slave, it only shows what it reads, i dont want to swap the map sensor so it can read "boost" acuratelyunderstood
I was thinking along the lines of swaping out the map sensor so the ECU can read the "manifold absolute pressure" acurately.
makes more sense after I thought it thru
2. Boost pressure? Then maf/map pressure? Not trying to be a smart azz but boost pressure + 14.7=MAP
my point exactly, boost can be referenced off MAP, which is your point, MAP can't be accurately logged
Like manny things we change on our trucks, some limiting factors get over looked, if the map pressure isint all that importantthen why is the sensor there in the first place? So o offer a simple annology
TOUCHE! But IF it were important...don't you think it would be a required upgrade to accompany the installation of the tune???
Knowlege is power, if the ecu has more accurate knowledge, mabey it can make more power,
When it comes to tuning a specific truck with specific mods verry accurate data logging could point out more specific changes that could be made.
I couldn't agree more!
I guess I was merely defaulting to the tuner, their knowledge, tools and skill, assuming they calibrate the tune far past the 22psi limit of the sensor, and the tuning isn't simply algorithmic?

I dont claim to know squat either , but im not one to easily give in to a lack of knowing.

....music.... Rainbow shooting star.... The more you know.

What you're getting at and trying to do, its a good thing! Maybe having a sensor that can read higher pressure would help the ECM more finely calibrate tuning and yeild better results...weather it be power, economy, tip throttle...etc
IT CANT HURT!!
:)

Just me brainstorming with ya more than anything...
Playing devil's advocate

Or, maybe its just the storm in my brain?
:confused:
:D