who makes the best exhaust for duramax

privatejb

Jul 17, 2009
Sand Box
hello i have a 2004.5 lly crew cab short bed and i am going to put on a single 4" exhaust system on the truck. Which one sounds the best and performs the best on duramax lly motors. My brother has a silverline daul exhaust on his lb7duramax is there another brand that is better.

Alligator

Nov 9, 2006
N. Idaho
There are several good manufacturers for exhaust. I have used almost all of them, and MBRP, Magnaflow, Diamond Eye and Silverline are all good choices. MBRP is the top choice amongst the crowd, but Silverline comes in a close second. Now you just have to pick the type of metal you want, aluminized (3 year warranty), 409 stainless (lifetime warranty, but will rust on the surface), or 304 stainless (no surface rust, very little carbon steel, lifetime warranty) but also cost the most.

Let me know how I can help.

Chad

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
There are several good manufacturers for exhaust. I have used almost all of them, and MBRP, Magnaflow, Diamond Eye and Silverline are all good choices. MBRP is the top choice amongst the crowd, but Silverline comes in a close second. Now you just have to pick the type of metal you want, aluminized (3 year warranty), 409 stainless (lifetime warranty, but will rust on the surface), or 304 stainless (no surface rust, very little carbon steel, lifetime warranty) but also cost the most.

Let me know how I can help.

Chad

ya I went with 304SS but MBRP does not make a 304SS front pipe so that part is 409SS but I header wraped the full front pipe to keep heat from the trans.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
hello i have a 2004.5 lly crew cab short bed and i am going to put on a single 4" exhaust system on the truck. Which one sounds the best and performs the best on duramax lly motors. My brother has a silverline daul exhaust on his lb7duramax is there another brand that is better.

here's an 04 LLY sound clip, 5" straight pipe

[YOUTUBE]5xn5--ltmGE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
Talk to Chad at Alligator...the diamond eye sounds great and is freak'n cheap...or just straight pipe it, but that actually cost more.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
magnaflow from chad at alligator. full stainless steel system, muffler delete and a tip for under $400

Last edited:

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
I like the Silverline and have never had any problems with fitment with silverline. Magnaflow is what I run on the wifes and it sounds good also, just to quiet for me. Good for towing.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
I had 4" MBRP aluminized duals on my LB7, its sounded good. Now on my LBZ I have a 5" MBRP aluminized kit with a 4" front pipe, not cat and still have the muffler. I love the MBRP 5"