Who has a 5 star converter and likes it? And billet flex plate. use it or no?

rcfreak24

Oct 1, 2013
Looking at buying a billet trans used for a heck of a price and it has a 5 star converter. I have read a lot about hard lock up. Can't really afford to just buy a new one. Wondering if anyone likes theirs?

Also comes with a billet flex plate but I have heard they help break cranks..? I have read the 5 star likes to break stock ones though. What do yall recommend?

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
I had a stock motor truck with a suncoast stage 4 on my 02 that ran a 5 star. I liked it and did not have any issues. Did it lock up hard, I don't think so but you did know when it locked. That of course is subjective and really doesn't help with your decision. I was also running a stock flexplate.

rcfreak24

Oct 1, 2013
Did it ever jar the drive line hard or have passengers comment on lock up? Ever have any issues with it not lasting? I had a friend tell me he out 5 in his buddies in 2 years at 500hp but that doesn't tell me how he drove the truck or took care of his tranny..

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I've had one for a while that was in my LB7 and is now in my LBZ and I like it. That being said better options are available by other companies and I wouldn't buy another one if this one goes. Suncoast offers a great selection of converters to fit any application.

rcfreak24

Oct 1, 2013
Locking up isn't too bad?

Has anyone heard of these engines being externally balanced and adding a billet flex plate may overtime break a crank shaft ?

How many run at least a triple disc on stock flex plate with out it breaking?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Most trucks run a stock flexplate... I do and have never had a problem. I don't run an ATS converter though

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I have had my 5star for years and it locks up hard. Mike recommended a billet flex plate for me, but no issues as of yet with 550hp and stock flexplate/flywheel.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I've ran a 5star for almost 5 years. Lockup is stiff but not alarming or problematic. Under WOT it does not lockup hard, it only seems to lockup hard at light acceleration approaching 50-55mph. 4 years on stock flexplate, about 4 months on a billet one now.

Last edited:

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Why did you switch to a billet one

I built my motor and thought there might come a day when power capable of breaking a stock one might come. Got a smoking deal on one. Was the perfect time to do it as the engine was torn down and the new flexplate could be balanced along with the rest of the rotating assembly.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I've had one with a stock flex plate since 2008. Lock up is only hard at light throttle going into 5th gear. There are better options now.

Summitlly

Motorsport Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2013
MI
I Have one. It came in a truck I bought along with a ATS trans. It's terrible! It rattles like crazy. ATS says that its normal for their converters to make noise and rattle? This one only has 30k on it and will be coming out in the spring. The warranty is a joke as well.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I Have one. It came in a truck I bought along with a ATS trans. It's terrible! It rattles like crazy. ATS says that its normal for their converters to make noise and rattle? This one only has 30k on it and will be coming out in the spring. The warranty is a joke as well.

That's funny... After four years of use my C3s started to slip. A normal thing to happen at 600 HP for multiple years. ATS rebuilt it on warranty with a fresh converter and shortly after my little stage 2 took me into the 11s. Sorry you have an issue with them but they made good on their word with me and their warranty isn't a joke. Actually it couldn't have been more hassle free in my case.

I think it's safe to say other companies and builders pay more attention to further R&D for the Alli and do more to push the limits of what it will hold.

Summitlly

Motorsport Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2013
MI
Is your converter noisy? Mine is really loud. I called ATS and they said "thats normal for a square tab design" I wasn't the original purchaser of the trans,and thats why they wouldn't warranty it.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Mines had a metallic grinding sound in park and neutral for a bit now but it still drives and locks fine. It's not coming out until it dies completely.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Is your converter noisy? Mine is really loud. I called ATS and they said "thats normal for a square tab design" I wasn't the original purchaser of the trans,and thats why they wouldn't warranty it.

i dont personally have one, i have a ML converter. i was just stating my reference to riding in steves with the ATS 5 star the first time. Ive been around his truck since he first got the ats converter and its never made any noise worth noting.

Lil Red

Lil Red
Apr 3, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
I have 5 Stars in both my daily driver and my race truck. The one in my daily driver acts as though it's slightly out of balance and causes the truck to shake a little, especially stopped while in gear. Don't notice any vibration at highway speeds. The one in the race truck idles smooth however after a few passes at around 725 RWHP it feels like the lockup clutches are starting to slip.