Who else has pinned water pumps?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
First off, mark if you read this, if you have some lb7/lly pumps on the shelf that are pinned that can go out today, i will take one. :D :hug:

that said, i have a call in and PM into Mark for a pump (making sure he still does them, pics/description on his site dont say if they are) BUT i need one before the weekend since mine is leaking. Is there anyone else that pins pumps? or anyone that had one ready to go i can buy? i dont want to go welded, this one made it 55k and i wonder if the heating of the shaft hurt the seal way back when and im curious if the weld is even still good with the hot temps i can get when under heavy load. Plus i want to turn more rpm and not worry about the welds breaking :D

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
any local machine shop should be able to do this to a stock'er for you.

duramax55

???? 7
Feb 2, 2011
florida
Dhd has a high rpm water pump for the lb7 on their web site,I have put one on my brothers lb7 and It still holding,it’s being a year now,maybe another option for you to consider?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Just do the new updated one with plastic impeller. That's what was suggested to me when I was spinning them.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just get a good drill bit and have some patience :hug:

another day and/or time, i certainly will. might practice on this junk one. Shit i might cut the old weld off and see if it can be rebuilt, throw it in the tool box and keep it as a road spare.

appreciate the info guys, im just going to deep groove the shaft and impeller/gear on my lathe, make a fixture to hold the gear/impeller just above a bucket of water (encompass the seal area with water so body is submerged) and have a buddy TIG it up.

plastic impellers dont sit well with me. i think the above will be better than the normal welded pumps :D

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
If you tig it while submerged you will be fine
I only did 1/2 and let cool down because you still need to pour the heat to it for proper penetration
And do both gears! :thumb:
Doesn’t wallet offer a pinned pump?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Correct, we went to an LBZ Plastic pump with a conversion setup so that it is a bolt in for the earlier trucks so you don't have any issues with them. We have these on the shelf ready to ship! http://www.danvilleperformance.com/performance-water-pump-kit-for-lb7-lly/

Unfortunately the AC Delco aftermarket quality dropped and the pinned pumps started having the issues that the welded had so we went to the plastic LBZ pump because it has been the best one to date. My white LBZ is still on the stock original pump through three motor setups and I haven't failed it yet even though I have tried many times.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
If you tig it while submerged you will be fine
I only did 1/2 and let cool down because you still need to pour the heat to it for proper penetration
And do both gears! :thumb:
Doesn’t wallet offer a pinned pump?

thats what i was thinking. i was going to deep groove the impeller side and gear side for more weld surface/bite

Correct, we went to an LBZ Plastic pump with a conversion setup so that it is a bolt in for the earlier trucks so you don't have any issues with them. We have these on the shelf ready to ship! http://www.danvilleperformance.com/performance-water-pump-kit-for-lb7-lly/

Unfortunately the AC Delco aftermarket quality dropped and the pinned pumps started having the issues that the welded had so we went to the plastic LBZ pump because it has been the best one to date. My white LBZ is still on the stock original pump through three motor setups and I haven't failed it yet even though I have tried many times.

well damn it, that explains that. Due to time and what its probably going to cost to next day that, ill have to hold off buddy. This is good to know for future stuff though.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
They kept it quiet but it has one less fin and they’re 4mm taller than a stock LLY pump.

I grenaded a new plastic style. But not the pumps fault. Had a 5300 rpm spike. That's one thing about this forum. Whar worked a couple years ago don't work now. Quality of OEM and aftermarket parts is a roller coaster.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I grenaded a new plastic style. But not the pumps fault. Had a 5300 rpm spike. That's one thing about this forum. Whar worked a couple years ago don't work now. Quality of OEM and aftermarket parts is a roller coaster.

I was giving James shit I made it up :roflmao: