Which engine hoist?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Mine has "Ex-Cell" on the label. Its 20+ years old. I forget where I bought it. Doesnt collapse down like modern hoists do, which isnt too convenient. It handled the Dmax without problem.

Last edited:

sr23det

Oct 1, 2009
i have a harbor frieght one and seems to be working fine, a buddy of mines had one but didnt not have a smooth action lowering the load (unpredictabaly fast). but we fixed it by using staba lube hydraulic jack fluid and works like a champ, its been trought dozens of swaps. one thing to note is that (atleast mines) some of the bolt holes was undersized so i have to use a step drill bit to get the bolts to fit and assemble it. sorry but i cant spell and i do not want to download "iespell" :p

Last edited:

66impala

Gear head, bus driver
Aug 20, 2010
Kalamazoo, Mi
i have a harbor frieght one and seems to be working fine, a buddy of mines had one but didnt not have a smooth action lowering the load (unpredictabaly fast). but we fixed it by using staba lube hydraulic jack fluid and works like a champ, its been trought dozens of swaps. one thing to note is that (atleast mines) some of the bolt holes was undersized so i have to use a step drill bit to get the bolts to fit and assemble it. sorry but i cant spell and i do not want to download "iespell" :p

X2 on the harbor frieght engine hoist. it colapes and does great work used it for a 1500lbs milling machine. plus the ram is change able if you need new one just keep the hoist and just get a new jack for it. best $150 i paid plus it came with a 1000 lb engine stand free when i got mine.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
2006 Kenworth 8400# hydraulic crane:D

Oh yeah Albert I forgot I have a service truck sitting in my driveway :rofl:
Im leery of harbor freight stuff on anything other than a compression tester or things that wont kill me or my truck if they fail.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Im leery of harbor freight stuff on anything other than a compression tester or things that wont kill me or my truck if they fail.

I have actually had very good luck with most harbor freight stuff , but i do a general rule of thumb that what ever they rate it at for its capacity i usually figure i trust it to 70-80% of that , so if its rated at 2000 lbs i'll trust to maybe 1500 :D but seriously there stuff is pretty decent for the $$

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
X2 on the harbor frieght engine hoist. it colapes and does great work used it for a 1500lbs milling machine. plus the ram is change able if you need new one just keep the hoist and just get a new jack for it. best $150 i paid plus it came with a 1000 lb engine stand free when i got mine.

x3 on the $150 HFT special. Sure drops quick but for $150 plus 20% off coupon I'm not complaining.

66impala

Gear head, bus driver
Aug 20, 2010
Kalamazoo, Mi
x3 on the $150 HFT special. Sure drops quick but for $150 plus 20% off coupon I'm not complaining.

damn straight. i got it for $150 plus 20% off and i got the engine stand free too. love it for the money i used it to pull a detriot out too.

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho

HaHa! Did Reece tell you i have been hauling around a blown up lb7 in the back of it for a month:thumb:

I have had good and bad luck with Harbor Freight, just look it over real good if looks fairly well put together it will be fine, if it looks like a POS well.....

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I bought 9k Directlift in the spring and it's a great lift. Ben has the same one which is why I bought it.

Were talking engine hoist, cherry picker, motor snatcher,service truck cranes (Albert) etc. Not lifts