whats the benefit to a stock fuel filter delete?

new york lly

I really do care!!
Feb 8, 2014
Buffalo NY
I'm not sure what you mean about the heater, but a lift pump removes the need to ever prime the engine.

I thought the factory head had a heater? I'm new @ a lot of this so I'm trying to understand...ok so if the lift takes care of the prime what if you need to bleed off some air? Thanks!

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
I thought the factory head had a heater? I'm new @ a lot of this so I'm trying to understand...ok so if the lift takes care of the prime what if you need to bleed off some air? Thanks!

No there's no fuel heater in the filter head. When you crank the engine the lift pump will just force the air through the system, it just takes some extra cranking.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Yes there is a heating element in the factory filter head.

x2

I usually did it to make room for other things. I wouldn't do it if i didn't need to though. One more filter doesn't hurt anything on these hp injection systems.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I deleted mine, but after seeing a post on fb about fass pumps with rust on the inside of the water separator stem after 45k miles, I will be putting another filter on.

Al's max

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
The factory fuel filter heads are famous for needing to be rebuilt when you're in the middle of nowhere!! I've installed air dog lift pump on every diesel I've owned and deleted the factory filter without any problems. Probably 8 years now. Better filtering filters that are cheaper and way easier to change out.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I deleted mine, but after seeing a post on fb about fass pumps with rust on the inside of the water separator stem after 45k miles, I will be putting another filter on.

My AD filter did this on my lmm. Factory filter head saved my rigg, it never hurts to have that extra filtration. Mine is staying in place on the lml as well, I hardly ever change it after lift pump install. Only when it suddenly goes to 0 on the dic, then I know something is wrong with the fuel...

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Mine is staying. If the lift pump ever craps it's just a matter of rearranging some quick connects and I'm back to stock till the pump is fixed. Filter essentially never needs changed unless you get a bad batch of fuel. To me it's crazy not to keep it. Even if it leaks and needs replaced like mine did. A new lly+ can be had for around $100 with filter on fleabay. And it's easy to retrofit to the lb7

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Stock fuel filter is designed for negative psi not positive. Is not made to flow the amount that a aftermarket filter does. So a filter that is rated for 50gph with a airdog or fass 150-165 is a smart idea? Also did not see a fuel bowl heater in the last two heads I rebuilt. Only thing I like about the factory filter is the location for in cold weather. Other then that it sucks.
http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Racor_Fuel_Filtration_-_PFF50216_-_7717.pdf

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Stock fuel filter is designed for negative psi not positive. Is not made to flow the amount that a aftermarket filter does. So a filter that is rated for 50gph with a airdog or fass 150-165 is a smart idea? Also did not see a fuel bowl heater in the last two heads I rebuilt. Only thing I like about the factory filter is the location for in cold weather. Other then that it sucks.
http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Racor_Fuel_Filtration_-_PFF50216_-_7717.pdf

But you aren't using it as a primary filter when you have a lift pump already. All it is, is another line of defense against contamination in your system. Both of mine had heaters in the head. I deleted my 03 lb7's after lift pump install and had several sets of injectors go bad (2 times plus one stuck injector). Left it on my 04, and still have 0.1-0.2's. I'm leaving them on from now on. Just my $.02.