What upgrades do I need most?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I'm confused at one point we are talking about turbo now injectors and built engines. Reading threads like this hurts my head. Try using spell check and some punctuation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
If you don't want to break parts don't touch it. A tune is plenty to do damage.

If you really don't want to break things then skip the Trans tunes.

Has your Allison tech done performance builds? They're very different than stock rebuilds. I'd go with a builder that knows their shit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

03lb7chev

Nov 7, 2009
tie rods and a center link brace will do ur front end and as far as ur trans goes all b fine if u get a 3rd gear start tune.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
tie rods and a center link brace will do ur front end and as far as ur trans goes all b fine if u get a 3rd gear start tune.
Why in the hell would you recommend a 3rd gear START tune for a stock transmission?????

That's a good way to spin C1s right out of it!!

Why does everyone jump on that bandwagon anyway? Just because it works for some people/turbos doesn't mean it's the right setup for everyone. Plenty of pulls have been won by starting in 1st gear......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
Why in the hell would you recommend a 3rd gear START tune for a stock transmission?????

That's the good one to spin C1s right out of it!!

Why does everyone jump on that bandwagon anyway? Just because it works for some people/turbos doesn't mean it's the right setup for everyone. Plenty of pulls have been won by starting in 1st gear......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

What do you know!! No room for that logic shit on here!

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Even my truck with a built trans, I wouldn't do a third gear start. No point if you have a mild set up and don't want to break shit every weekend. Harder on converters, and if it gets a good bite, something in the drivetrain has to give. I'd rather bang some gears to get it going.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
It works for some, but mine hated third gear beatings. I never broke anything, but there was plenty of slop in the driveline and my trans filters looked like gripite shavings for a while. Haven't done any pulling with the LMM.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I can't say mine likes them, but with my current converter I'd never light my charger in a 2nd let alone 1st gear start. Also never linked the wide open shifts at full power dragging that much weight...I've seen 1st gear starts work for a lot if people. But 3rd has worked for me for a while..but I am running a built tranny..

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I had a built trans in my LLY. It took whatever I hooked to like a champ, but, it only took that truck 10 seconds and it was hotter than wh*res dream and if it hit a bump or anything it bucked and banged, but it wasn't set up for anything I did with it.

Briggs0130

Dec 7, 2010
I always find it interesting to see someone ask a question about pulling, then have 30 people tell him he needs everything from a 300% injectors to 5,000 dollar turbochargers.

Honestly, do the important stuff first. I'd recommend a DHD centerlink brace and either some sleeves or tie rods. Yes, I know sleeves aren't as strong as aftermarket tie rods, but a lot of people, including myself have ran sleeves for a long time with no problems. Don't forget to lower your torsion bars before you pull. Once the front end is good and strong, I'd clamp your leaf springs and/or build some cheap traction bars to keep everything solid in the rear. If you have a factory steel driveshaft you'll be ok, if you have an aluminum one, consider replacing that with a stronger steel shaft. Yes, a good tune and a lift pump will help you and would be my next suggestion but are not completely necessary. Remember, pulling is about having fun and building your truck as you go. You don't have to have a 800hp monster the very first time you pull.

I've been pulling for 5 season and started with a ppe standard tuner, some sleeves and a brace. Tow haul mode and gear shifter in 3rd gear. Give er hell and have fun! :thumb:

Also, remember one of the most important aspects of pulling is putting the power to the ground so tire choice will be important. I'd suggest a nice all terrain like a grabber at2 or bfg to get you started. But hey my first tire was some duratracs and they got the job done for a couple wins! :D

Briggs0130

Dec 7, 2010
And for what it's worth, I had close to 16 hooks the first season on the stock transmission. It held up like a champ for the entire year. Drove it to the shop and had it built that winter, but she never let me sit anywhere.