What scanner to buy

alaskaman444

2001 GMC 2500HD Crewcab
Oct 28, 2013
Oak Harbor, WA
I own a 2001 GMC sierra with the 6.6l Duramax engine in it. I've owned a Snap On MT2500 scanner for years and its usually been able to help diagnose problems on this truck. The one thing that the Snap On scanner wont do is a cylinder contribution or balance test (not sure if those are the same thing or not).

The engine starting to smoke and I'd like to T/S the issue before I blindly change all eight injectors.

Suggestions for a scanner? If I run into issues with the injectors I'll start a new thread.

Thanks!

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I own a 2001 GMC sierra with the 6.6l Duramax engine in it. I've owned a Snap On MT2500 scanner for years and its usually been able to help diagnose problems on this truck. The one thing that the Snap On scanner wont do is a cylinder contribution or balance test (not sure if those are the same thing or not).

The engine starting to smoke and I'd like to T/S the issue before I blindly change all eight injectors.

Suggestions for a scanner? If I run into issues with the injectors I'll start a new thread.

Thanks!

The Snap On MT2500 hasn't been supported for years. As such it doesn't have the newest software updates.

The newer snap on scanners have these capabilities.

I don't know what your Budget is so it's hard to say. But you could get something like the Autoenginuity and add modules as you go. Or you could find a nice used newer snap on scanner.

The other thing that might work is a Bluetooth OBD2 module and something like the Torque app on a smartphone.

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
I just bought a Snap On Ethos Pro from a friend for $1,200 that's about a year old. So far I'm extremely happy with it as it does about anything my EFI V2 does yet still does a lot on other vehicles.

Dvierra86

May 30, 2016
I've got an mdi for sale just gotta get a subscription to tis2web and you can get tech2win or sps for programming and it'll do everything up to most current years

2006 CCLB DRW 6"fabtech 35"s 4.11 w/arb sdp 475 over stock 30% ii nozzles fass150 sdp built trans

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
I’m interested in getting one of these. Will it pull trans and body codes, will it bleed the abs system? Thank you for the advice.

I just bought a Snap On Ethos Pro from a friend for $1,200 that's about a year old. So far I'm extremely happy with it as it does about anything my EFI V2 does yet still does a lot on other vehicles.