What nozzles?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
if you decide to go with them let me know. i have a 40% honed set. there LMM but i think theres no differance between them and LLYs. they have maybe 1-2k on them if your interested.....

I might just be interested if LMM tips will work on LLY injectors (and if the price is right :) ). Who did them?

Last edited:

mde

fuel injection is my life
Mar 17, 2007
Bucky State
smaller holes but more of them;)

:D

im thinkin same size hole and more of em, :D

I am not a fan of more holes. No one has proof they really work. My messing with them was not promosing at all. Much happier with what I have seen from bigger holes.

there is enough proof out there, just listen to the right ones :eek:

i still wanna see someone try out a set of MDE nozzles.

honesty, me too, I guess in a few weeks ...

Go for it!:D

hope so ...

How much do a set of MDE's tips go for aren't those the stock size with 10 holes

29% overs are 10 holes, stock diameter ....

Don't know how much but he will make just about anything. More holes, less holes, bigger holes, smaller holes, different angle holes.....far above my thinking plane:D

thats my job ...

t/c guys ... :angel:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
They don't have proof that they work. But there is proof that HUGE holes don't work for a street ride, they smoke at idle. I've seen the vid of your truck and it was great, and they deff worked, but prob wouldn't be the answer for a DD. Maybe there will be a injector with more holes that flows the same but would be more suitable for street use. :confused: iduno maybe there is one out there:confused:
When Wade had his truck at the dyno a few weeks ago, I was asking him about his injectors. He wasn't sure exactly what % over they were, but he said he had a flow chart from before and after and the flow was double what it was stock. The funny thing is the thing didn't even so much as have a light whisp of smoke at idle. Of course the Custom Auto truck, which was at the track just a few weeks before, has the same injectors, and that truck was hazing really bad at idle. Maybe it's hit or miss with honed tips?

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
When Wade had his truck at the dyno a few weeks ago, I was asking him about his injectors. He wasn't sure exactly what % over they were, but he said he had a flow chart from before and after and the flow was double what it was stock. The funny thing is the thing didn't even so much as have a light whisp of smoke at idle. Of course the Custom Auto truck, which was at the track just a few weeks before, has the same injectors, and that truck was hazing really bad at idle. Maybe it's hit or miss with honed tips?

Maybe it can be done and its in the tuning, but there is no doubt its tough to do. I just like the idea on more small holes, seems like it would atomize much better. I will be trying a set of MDEs 10 holes this winter. For the price and ease of changing them it seems worth a shot:) I tend to agree with what MDE has to say so I may as well give them a shot:D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Maybe it can be done and its in the tuning, but there is no doubt its tough to do. I just like the idea on more small holes, seems like it would atomize much better. I will be trying a set of MDEs 10 holes this winter. For the price and ease of changing them it seems worth a shot:) I tend to agree with what MDE has to say so I may as well give them a shot:D
I'm very interested in hearing how they work for you.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
It there is proper lighting to see it, I have a very slight haze of smoke at idle, but very hard to see, has to be dim or dark out, but a tap ot throttle it will puff just a touch on a stock tune...With my old bully dog PMT set on 150hp tune....OMG the coal was thick:D

50% Extrudehone's on my daliy driver, most of you pullers run 40-45%'ers :eek::rofl::D

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
FWIW mine doesn't have any smoke at all at idle, idles lower, quieter, and smoother than a stock engine, barely has a haze at WOT after spool-up, and so far I have gotten just over 22 mpg out of them - mostly on a DSP economy tune but with some hot rodding on my race tune (enough to get pulled over and threatened with a reckless op ticket). I haven't worked on that economy economy tune besides adjusting it to work with the Cheetah and injectors and that was with the stock intake and turbo inlet. That matches the best mileage I ever got with stock injectors. I hold better rail pressure (which also helps atomize), which the LBZ CP3 and my higher commanded pressure helps; also the Cheetah runs really effecient as far as I can tell so far.

You guys that smoke at idle need to get in there and play with the idle injection quantity. I had mine idling at around 520 RPM before the injectors and had to do some tuning to get it back down and smooth with the injectors and CP3 but it idles at about 520 again - not even a hint of smoke.

Last edited:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
They don't have proof that they work. But there is proof that HUGE holes don't work for a street ride, they smoke at idle. I've seen the vid of your truck and it was great, and they deff worked, but prob wouldn't be the answer for a DD. Maybe there will be a injector with more holes that flows the same but would be more suitable for street use. :confused: iduno maybe there is one out there:confused:

I think in the coming years there will be some real advancements with injectors. We have really just hit the tip of the iceburg. Its JMO but I feel that with some time and work more holes could be the hot ticket. Maybe not the nozles that are out there now or maybe them, I don't know. But like I said I see a future of huge impovements:)

The reason my truck smokes at idle has little to do with injectors.;) I can make the haze go away by using more pressure but I have to make my PW so small my balance rates go to heck and it idles like crap. Now if I use low pressure 4000 and a 450 PW it idles super smooth. Smoother than my LBZ. But it hazes.

Why I think it hazes
1 15:1 compression
2 Poor quench area
3 Cam design
4 BF injectors.

I have low compression due to widen bowls and large valve releifs. The valve releifs are needed for clearence with the cam I run and they are not small. This messes up the quench area. My cam is designed to spool a large single turbo. It is actually a good bit different then a stock cam and it's design does not lend itself well to a clean idle. Last the big friken injectors. They are meant for one thing getting the fuel in fast. I am all about running lots of rpm. The FICM is much happier running the lower duty cycle and I beleive my pistons are much happier that I am not spraying them as much going down as I am with them coming up. My top PW is 60% what it was with the stockers and it never ever ran this hard before.:D

FWIW I think that if I had stock cam and 16:1 compression there would be no haze. One thing I really want to do is have Fingers log my idle cylinder pressure so it can be compared to a stock LB7/LLY and stock LBZ/LMM. We know the LBZ/LMM has less pressure at idle. I bet my 15:1 is a fair bit lower yet.

I have had great luck with 45% overs in stock compression trucks not smoking at idle with even no tuning change. I now of one person running 60% overs with no idle haze

there is enough proof out there, just listen to the right ones :eek:

29% overs are 10 holes, stock diameter ....
Well that all sounds great but no offense every one I know of that tried more hole injectors weather it yours, II, ATS or JL none reported good results. I messed with II 10 holes. They sucked IMHO. I keep getting told I am doing it wrong. Well I guess everyone else is doing it wrong to? You have a Dmax and EFI Live so show us. Theroy is wonderful. Your theroy makes sense but in real life it just does not seem to pan out.

More holes is far far from new by the way. I find it funny that some think this is new cutting edge stuff. Truth is Tractor pullers messed with it long ago. They told what I say. Smooth but smokey and no real gains where had unless timing was increased.

As time goes on the more I find that as far as performance goes the tractor guy know there stuff. We have better control of injection but that does not change the fact of life that it is still a direct injected diesel. Nothing new. Not a revolution more like evolution.;)
If I had to guess the shop truck has less compression. Wade's truck is 16:1 IIRC. If the shop truck is 15:1 it will make a big difference IMHO.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We have better control of injection but that does not change the fact of life that it is still a direct injected diesel. Nothing new. Not a revolution more like evolution.;)
I couldn't agree more.

If I had to guess the shop truck has less compression. Wade's truck is 16:1 IIRC. If the shop truck is 15:1 it will make a big difference IMHO.
You may be right. IIRC, I think Wade said he was running 15.5:1, but I have no idea what the shop truck runs.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
why would you want to make it idle a lot lower than stock?? We can barely keep enough hot oil pressure at stock curb-idle speeds, let alone dropping it another 160rpm. :(

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
More holes is far far from new by the way. I find it funny that some think this is new cutting edge stuff. Truth is Tractor pullers messed with it long ago.

Maybe not new to diesels but still in its infancy with D-max's. Most good things have bugs to work out, not really a reason to give up on an idea:confused:

And perhaps with enough tuning big injectors can idle with no smoke, but many have proven that this can be dificult with some trucks.

Maybe I'll put the 10holes in and they wont work for sht, but for the price I'm willing to give it a try since no one else here seems to want to

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I have a set of 10-hole LLY tips that I can part with. Very low hour.

Must go to someone who has dyno'd their existing configuration, and are willing to dyno afterwards.